Estrus At 5 Months?

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
British Blue Shorthair female 5 months old un-neutered. Indoor cat.

I just noticed a small smudge of blood on my desk, near to where Coojee sleeps. There seems to be a tiny amount of blood from her vagina. I called the vet (it's evening here) & he ran through some questions. Her drinking is normal, toilet frequency normal, behaviour normal, eating normal. We checked her mouth, paws & found no bleeding. Her vagina seemed to have just a tiny amount of blood. I've fixed to see the vet in the morning, for a check-over. He didn't feel there was anything urgently wrong, although he wants to check her urine just in case of a urinary infection. He was prepared to see her tonight if I was very worried, but if it wasn't for the blood smudge, we'd not have noticed anything. There's no more blood at the moment.

Is there anything I should check or is tomorrow morning ok for the checkup?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not at all unusual for a cat to go into heat at 5 months, or even earlier. . .but cats generally don't bleed when in heat like dogs do.

So I'm more inclined to think it's a bladder infection or something similar. It's good you've already got the appointment, let us know what the vet says!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply, I'll feed-back what the vet says tomorrow.

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, Coojee has just finally recovered from her reaction to a Milbemax wormer tablet. The symptoms lasted 10 days, starting with lethargy & lack of appetite, & then diarrhoea. She has been fully back to normal for about a week now, with regular stools the last thing to recover.

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There was no more blood overnight. Eating, drinking & toileting as normal.

We saw the vet this morning as an emergency out of hours appointment. There was no time pressure & we were with the vet for an hour. The vet is fairly sure that Coojee is not in heat. After a physical exam, he believes that she could have early stages of a urinary infection. He offered 3 options; urine extraction for testing by needle from the bladder (he could then test immediately), urine collection by us via a special litter in her litter tray on Monday, urinary infection anti-biotic treatment as a precaution, or do nothing. He also said that the blood could also be her hormones starting to go crazy. He had tried to manually express some urine as her bladder was half full, but Coojee didn't like that idea. The vet noticed that Coojee was more uncomfortable when he massaged her bladder. However it could just be that he did that last or all & she was already fed-up, or that it made her want to wee & she didn't like it.

We decided on the litter tray urine collection which we will do early next week, unless symptoms change. The vet gave us a list of symptoms to watch out for & that we should treat any symptoms as an emergency.

At the moment, we're thinking it's a hormone thing. There has been a single occurrence of blood (that we've seen) & so far, no symptoms of of urinary infection apart from the blood.

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No more symptoms today so far. Coojee is eating & drinking normally & using the litter tray as normal. Wee is normal quantity. Last night she had a touch of diarrhoea, poop today has hardened a little, but still too soft.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not trying to diagnose your Coojee, but just to add one opinion....my Chelsea did this before I had her spayed and it was the hormone thing. Vet said that she had another cat client who did the same thing. Chelsea was/is an entirely indoor well cared for cat when this occurred and once it stopped I had her fixed. Good not to ignore other possibilities like a bladder infection though and I hope that you can resolve this.

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply.

No more blood at the moment & no urine issues either. I think that you may be right.

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Still no more symptoms, no blood & drinking & toileting normal. I will try to investigate the hormone bleeding a little more & discuss it with my vet.