Erratic and Frantic Kitten

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night Cyndi caught a mouse , she was making a rukus and when I got up to investigate found she had trapped it in the bathroom  and when i opened the door she ran to the kitchen with it where she dropped it and it got away.

The problem is now this morning she is behaving very weird, she is losing fur and biting and scratching at herself, she keeps running around like something is chasing her from spot to spot. She did eat this morning and otherwise seems okay but really has me worried ...

Any help would be much appreciated.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
My first thought is that she may have picked up a flea or two from the mouse. Is Cyndi on any kind of monthly flea preventative? (Love the name by the way!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My first thought is that she may have picked up a flea or two from the mouse. Is Cyndi on any kind of monthly flea preventative? (Love the name by the way!)
That is what I was thinking, tried examining her but she won't hold still.

She is not taking anything at present but for sure will have to investigate. Have to book her soon for her 1st year checkup.

Should I wait to talk to her vet or is there something you would recommend now instead of waiting?

dlkhain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's likely she's got some kind of parasite from the mouse, and may be confused if it's her first time.

If she's not on any kind of preventive treatment at the moment (flea protection, worming), I would definitely take her to the vet as whatever it is she's got, she could be quite vulnerable to it.

When you say she's losing fur, is it spontaneous or is she scratching/biting the fur off?

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I think it's likely she's got some kind of parasite from the mouse, and may be confused if it's her first time.

If she's not on any kind of preventive treatment at the moment (flea protection, worming), I would definitely take her to the vet as whatever it is she's got, she could be quite vulnerable to it.

When you say she's losing fur, is it spontaneous or is she scratching/biting the fur off?
She is biting and scratching herself, she keeps running and hiding under beds and blankets, I think she is trying to escape from whatever it is biting her.

This is all new to me as I am a first time cat  caregiver, I will call and book her vet visit tomorrow but any tips on getting her to calm down in the meantime???.

dlkhain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I doubt you can do much apart from trying to look at what's happening in her fur.

If you're struggling to get her to hold still, see if you can do some of the following:

1. Get some help from a neighbour / friend to hold her while you inspect

2. Use a towel to hold her in order to avoid nasty scratches. You can have a look at this:

(Yes, it's for administering medication, but tells you how to wrap your cat nicely in what we call a purrito)

If you do manage to have a look at her fur, have some tweezers ready in case you want to try and remove whatever is biting her (you can get some plastic devices that are made on purpose for removing ticks, ask your vet for one next time you go)

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow what a day that was, she spent most of the day hiding and would only come out to eat or use the litter, did manage to get her outside for a walk (She is leash trained) But she

just wasn't her normal self. When we came back it was more of the hiding behaviour. After supper we went for another walk, where she was more liker her normal huntress terrorizing the squirrels and chipmunks. This time when we got home she stayed in hunt mode and actually caught another mouse, it was in the litchen so am thinking it was the same one that got away the night before. Anyway she had it and dropped it in front of me and I managed to trap it in a coffee tin

and take it away before she could start chewing on it. 

So brings us to today, she is back to acting strange and hiding

i will call the vet today and see if I can get her and the dead mouse examined for anyticks or parasites.