Epakitin Side Effects - Kidney Cats

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I've given my kidney cat epakitin a few times and I always get the same reaction - she acts completely out of it and lethargic. Has anyone else had the same experience? I called epakitin to confirm the serial number (I bought it off Amazon) and they confirmed it is their product. They also told me the side effects she's experiencing are very abnormal.

I literally threw the Epakinin in the trash today and am looking to start her on Renafood later this week. Does anyone have experience with Renafood?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's scaring me - she's not herself at all. I feel like I poisoned her.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi brittpatt .

Have you seen this coverage of Epakiyin: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease -All About Phosphorus Binders, in particular the "Side Effects and Interactions" section? (scroll down a tad for that)

I wonder if it might be lactose intolerance that's causing this reaction in her.

That site does have a brief coverage of "Renafood"...There's a brief intro on "holistic" products here: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Holistic Treatments, then some thoughts on each of the three products this company p̶e̶d̶d̶l̶e̶s̶ markets: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide....Standard Process Products.

The owner/author of the "Tanya" site also hosts a specialized online community/group of people who are managing their 'kidney kitties' health...You can find them here: Tanya's CKD Support Group There's info about how the group 'works' right here: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Tanya's Support Group.

Hoping that may help.

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sending.

She's not getting any better and she was FINE before the epakitin. This is worse than a lactose issue - she's had cheese and milk before and has never had a reaction like this. She is just acting like she's in a daze. I feel terrible for giving her something that has made her this sick.

She's eating which is is really good but it's like she's in a daze for the past 24 hours since she got epakitin.

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, then, if you KNOW she's lactose tolerant, then something else is going on. Perhaps it's time to have her re-assessed, as the only other concern with using Epakitin is the potential for its raising calcium levels. From the first link I gave you, under "Side Effects & Interactions":
Calcium-containing products such as Ipakitine may cause increased calcium levels (hypercalcaemia). The risk is lower with calcium carbonate-based binders (such as Ipakitine) than with other calcium-based binders, and the manufacturer claims it is less likely to happen with the form of calcium carbonate which they use, but if your cat is taking Ipakitine, it would probably be wise to monitor his/her calcium levels.​

Some of the symptoms associated with high calcium levels are lethargy, weakness, reduced appetite, confusion and depression - if that describes what you're seeing, then you should definitely have her seen and have bloodwork done. Those are some of the more minor symptoms, with high blood pressure, seizures, stupor and coma the worse.

If I remember correctly, your Vet had not prescribed any phosphorous binder.....

Again, I'd encourage you to join up with that online group - they're an amazing resource for advice and support (and, that's from personal experience). There's little in life that's more draining and stressful than the ongoing caregiving to a cherished cat with a chronic condition - when we do it alone.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your cat is really unlike herself, you need to get her to the vet. It may be related to the Epakitin or may not, but she needs to be evaluated.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you're going through this with your kitty. I had a kidney kitty and we used Epakitin for several years without this side effect. Has she been to the vet recently? With this behavior, I'd definitely get her in and have her numbers checked (blood work). She hasn't had a convenia (antibiotic shot) recently has she?

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@stephanie
I'm sorry you're going through this with your kitty. I had a kidney kitty and we used Epakitin for several years without this side effect. Has she been to the vet recently? With this behavior, I'd definitely get her in and have her numbers checked (blood work). She hasn't had a convenia (antibiotic shot) recently has she?
No, she has not had any other drugs. She was FINE until I gave her epakitin. She was running around the house and happy. Now she wants to sleep all day and seems miserable. She is eating...

I've called the vet and think I'm going to have to take her in tomorrow.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really hope you and the vet can figure out what's going on with her. I know it's scary.

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's improving! My husband got home from work and she walked across the room to greet him and head-butted his hand. I think she's starting to recover from whatever reaction the epakitin had on her. :clap2:

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all SO much for the advice. She's totally back to normal today - I think she just had a terrible reaction to the epakitin and she had to get it out of her system. She's still drinking a ton of water, but unfortunately that's our new norm. I'm just relieved she's happy and is interested in play.

Jyomow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It made mine out of it as in get into a box, get out, back and forth or stare at a corner of a box hunched and can't fall asleep. He got better after I stop giving it to him and O barely gave him any. I'm having a little luck with Aminavast. It helps mine to eat. It's best to keep them eating. I give mine grain free high protein cans and freeze dried chicken.

Hi there,

I've given my kidney cat epakitin a few times and I always get the same reaction - she acts completely out of it and lethargic. Has anyone else had the same experience? I called epakitin to confirm the serial number (I bought it off Amazon) and they confirmed it is their product. They also told me the side effects she's experiencing are very abnormal.

I literally threw the Epakinin in the trash today and am looking to start her on Renafood later this week. Does anyone have experience with Renafood?

Jyomow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They say giving them calcium and B vits should help but my cat's Cal levels are fine and I don't think he likes the B vits, probably tastes tart and I think it gives him a stomach ache because he loses his appetite. I gave up trying to cure him on my own. But occasionally, I'll give him Aminavast to get him eating again. The vet feels there's nothing he can do for him because my cat is not friendly, he is hard to handle and doesn't like meds.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi J Jyomow and welcome to the forum !

It's likely that you'll get some answers to specific questions you have if you start a new thread about your own cat.....especially when your Vet says "nothing I can do" !

There's lots that a 'quality', competent cat-Vet can (and should) do !

Just in case I miss your new thread, you might take a look here: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

Now, that place is a treasure trove....but, you can easily get lost in there. So, post your questions, issues you're having.....and see what happens.

Jyomow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi J Jyomow and welcome to the forum !

It's likely that you'll get some answers to specific questions you have if you start a new thread about your own cat.....especially when your Vet says "nothing I can do" !

There's lots that a 'quality', competent cat-Vet can (and should) do !

Just in case I miss your new thread, you might take a look here: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

Now, that place is a treasure trove....but, you can easily get lost in there. So, post your questions, issues you're having.....and see what happens.
I'll look into Tanya's. Thank you. But another vet told me that's it's not the first vet. If my cat is too aggressive, they can turn down treatment.