Eosinophilic Granuloma? *pic Attached*

thecatlady3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thompson is 4 and strictly an indoor cat. A few months ago I noticed a sore in the corner of his mouth. It looked itchy but it went away after a week or so. A couple of weeks ago, a different sore appeared on the other side. This side has looked the same for a couple of weeks and doesn’t seem to bother him.

Thompson has epilepsy and had a seizure a couple of nights ago. This has since flared his HSV and so now
46E591E3-6368-43D5-9DC6-3EEA1C3886B4.jpeg
he has a cold. But this morning the sore in the corner of his mouth looks bigger and I can see a spot in his whiskers. He still doesn’t seem bothered by it and he’s eating fine.

I am not sure if this is what this is, so wondering if anyone else has seen this?

I think I will take him to the vet today, but of course mine is closed for the weekend so I would be looking at taking him to the emergency vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, a vet trip is indicated, but it the mouth sore is bothering him, you can dab a bit of chilled chamomile tea on the area to sooth it. It is safe for cats (and humans) both internally, at proper doses, and externally. And since the internal dosage is 1-3 tsp up to 3 x daily, he won't get nearly "too much" from a mouth dabbing.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a cat that gets sores like that. The vet was absolutely sure they were rodent ulcers by just looking at them. But because steroids are a little dicey for Buddy since he's FIV+ and his immune system is compromised, the vet ran some tests to make sure that's what he had. In Buddy's case, it turned out that they were cold sores from his herpes flare-ups, like people get.

Now that we know that, we double his usual dose of L-lysine the moment we notice that a sore is starting to form, to try to at least lessen the severity of the flare-up. The sores don't go away until the flare-up is over, but applying some slippery elm bark syrup does seem to help keep them from looking quite so weepy and awful.

Hope your vet has Thompson on the mend soon, whatever the problem is, and please keep us posted! :vibes::vibes::vibes: