eosinophilic granuloma complex

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whitney the cat developed eosinophilic granuloma yesterday (diagnosed by me-Vet appt is Thursday). I searched the threads here and found another kitty with it and posted there but I guess since the OP was a year old no one took notice. I want to know if other kittys here have had it and how the treatment turned out for them. I believe (hope) Whitney got it by having an allergic reaction to eating a rubber band. She vomited  up a whole rubber band 9 hours after I noticed her fat red pouty bottom lip.

I guess my query is how long will my cat look like she has been punched by Mike Tyson now that the irritant (rubber band) is out of her system? And has anyone else dealt with it and how was your outcome, healing time etc ? PS that is NOT cat acne on her chin it is her coloring.

?

Last edited:

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had my cat eat a rubber band too only I found it in the litter box!
I was so lucky it passed through him.

EG is more of an allergic reaction to something in the environment.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 3 yr old with EGC, brought on by an allergy to Pork. He developed lesions on his neck and between shoulder blades. The first go round it took nearly 8 weeks to clear up. (We had to keep his neck wrapped with a bandage.) The second time (before we determined the culprit) it didn't take as long...maybe 3-ish weeks.

It all depends on what the allergy is to and how long it takes to clears their system or if they are re-exposed to the trigger.

If you think it was due to the rubber band, I would think all rubber and/or latex would need to be removed from the environment.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the responses. I did take note of the last 2 days of food just in case. Figuring out the offending allergen will not be easy.

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Darn that makes it harder. I do have pork in her rotation. It could be anything. Sigh.

beansprout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Quincy has had the same problem, it seems to come and go but I haven't been able to pinpoint the problem. The first go round I took him in, he got a shot & cleared up in a couple of weeks. The second time was not so easy. It has come back a third time, the only thing that has been the same through out (at least that I can think of) is his plant eating. Could he be allergic to certain types of plants.

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you bean sprout . I
did just get a new ficus.  
I never saw her eat a plant but she is always around em...

Last edited:

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My laymen diagnosis was confirmed by the vet today and low and behold we also have fleas!!!! Not much but I combed 7 off her! Whit goes outside and walks with me on a leash otherwise she is a stay at home girl. Applied some Frontline, washed everything, vacuumed everything, now we just wait. The vet said we will just watch the sore-No cortisone or pred. Hopefully the cause was fleas or the eaten rubber band and now with both gone from the environment the sore won't come back.

Fingers crossed I got a flea bit last night too!  Darn evil critters ! TY everyone for comparing notes and offering suggestions. I will updat when the sore is gone so other cat parents can refer to the thread.

Last edited:

beansprout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its the fish! I believe Quincy is having an allergic reaction to fish. Poor kitty [emoji]128546[/emoji] I narrowed it to fish & the plant, had to board him while out of town, so no fish & no plant for a week & his lip got better. Within the first 24 hours home it started coming back, the only thing he had different from his staynat the cat resort was the fish. I'm glad to know, but I feel sorry for the guy!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have several cats with eosinophilic granuloma complex. Unfortunately in their case it seems to be genetic to some extent since they are littermates and have the same issue. Also unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out the cause, most likely they are allergic to both environmental factors and foods. I've tried different foods but nothing has helped to totally clear up their issues. Two of them are now on Atopica. We are going to be looking into some new type of allergy testing my vet mentioned.

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great! Beansprout you found the cause! No Fish from now on!!

It has been 9 days since the pouty lip showed up on Whitney and I have done nothing but kill all the fleas. There were not many but they were tough. The swelling is 90% gone.  I am glad it is gone. They say her type does not hurt, but it sure looks painful.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. Sounds like it may return one day but I won;t worry as much.

Last edited:

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update this thread because Whitney is on her third or fourth Pouty lip attack since this original post. No fleas have been present in the house or on her. I am suspecting it could be diet. this time. I have been on occasion giving her food with fish in it and this last month by mistake bought Salmon rather than Chicken so she has eaten a lot of fish the past month. I have been reading a great deal bout fish and cats. None of it looks good. We like Weruva which uses a lot of fish. Oh well. She does not seem to be in pain. Her form of the disease is the mildest as she only has the swollen bottom lip.

I really think I want to start making my own food soon.

beansprout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought it was the fish with Quincy too, but then it started up again. I took all of the plants out of my house and that seemed to solve the problem. I thought it was starting up again once when I had him on one of those dehydrated mixes. He is eating the roasted Fresh Pet now & I mix canned BFF, which seems to be different varieties of tuna. Quincy is finicky & doesn't like to eat the same thing everyday, so I have to mix it up a bit. He's been eating the tuna for about a week now & I haven seen any sign of its return. I was never really sure if it posed any problems for Quincy & like you, I don believe he was in any pain. It justs looks so sad,pouty lip is a good description. I hope you figure it out.

Last edited: