Enymatic urine removal from carpet - help!

isy315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm trying to remove cat urine from the carpet, but I washed the area with washing powder before finding out about enzyme-based cleaners.  As predicted, the carpet still smells but I'm wondering what do I do next? If I clean the area thoroughly with fresh water to remove as much detergent trace as possible, is it likely the enzyme cleaners will then be able to work, or do you think I've ruined my chances of a smell-free carpet?

Thanks for any help/advice! 

As the back story to this scenario, both my mogs who are now 15 years have always been perfectly behaved. One of them went missing for 5 months (!!!) then returned, which was amazing. I was expecting a happy reunion as they are sisters from the same litter, but Genie did not welcome her sister home at all. They have now settled down, but since August, Genie has been showing real signs of stress - she developed cystitis, has been overgrooming and now has decided to stop going to the toilet outside at all (which she used to do unless it was raining/cold), and won't use the litter tray unless it is immaculate. I've got some clumping litter (worlds best multi-cat), which has now thankfully made her happier with the litter tray, but now I'm left with figuring out the carpet smell situation, which is so incredibly frustrating - I'm sure a lot of you know how I feel :-( 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much of your carpet needs cleaning?  I would go for it with the enzyme cleaner.  Or can you consider having a professional company come in to clean them?  If it's a large area and they are familiar with enzyme cleaners; it might be worth your investment.  

Welcome to TCS! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isy315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the reply! It's not a huge space (I think she peed once or maybe twice there in the same spot). My parents have a proper carpet cleaner I'm going to borrow, wash the carpet through with fresh water and then bring out the enzyme treatment!