Enucleation Advice

AmateurCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I was scouring the internet for advice when I came across this site and immediately decided to become a member. We have adopted a kitten in March who came to us with sniffles, eventually it went to her eye which became and ulcer and popped her pupil. The eye was removed about a month ago and since then it has been one issue after the other as she has developed an infection that is simply not going away. She has since then been stressed out and travelling at least once a week to get antibiotics that just does not seem to be doing the trick. Other than the eye, she is eating well and playing maybe a bit too much as she is a very active kitten. Does anyone have advice on how to deal with this? The vet is not communicating properly at all and I don't know why it's not healing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmateurCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!

Can you change vets? Be sure and get her paperwork (all of it not just vaccine records) if you haven't already, and this might help;
Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community
I have three other babies, all at a vet just down the road from us, but this kitten has been adopted through the other vet so they covered the costs of the surgery, they no longer cover any costs so I'll ask them to send everything over to my regular vet when I see them tomorrow! Thank you! 😊

AmateurCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! So kitty had to get another surgery as the infection wasn't clearing up and it turns out she had an abscess that was then removed. She has since then healed well and her stitches are out now! I was just wondering, what is the eye area supposed to look like now? It is quite sunken in and she can even "blink" by pressing the skin together. Is this normal or has the wound healed wrong? I'll post a picture of the cutie for reference!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I apologize, I think I'm getting faked out by the fur that's been shaved but to be honest it doesn't look terribly sunken to me. What does your vet say?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your kitten is adorable!! I am sure that more tissue than normal would have needed to be removed if there was an abscess. By the way, super scary place to have an abscess. So lucky it didn't get to her brain. I would send a picture to your vet if you are concerned. It is hard to tell from a picture. I am glad you took her to your regular vet.

AmateurCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize, I think I'm getting faked out by the fur that's been shaved but to be honest it doesn't look terribly sunken to me. What does your vet say?
My vet says that she is happy with how she has healed and that it looks great! I just wanted a second opinion to make sure 😄

AmateurCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitten is adorable!! I am sure that more tissue than normal would have needed to be removed if there was an abscess. By the way, super scary place to have an abscess. So lucky it didn't get to her brain. I would send a picture to your vet if you are concerned. It is hard to tell from a picture. I am glad you took her to your regular vet.
That makes so much sense! Thank you! To be honest we weren't sure if she would make it because we didn't know if it spread or not... but she's a little trooper! The vet is happy with how she looks and says that she's healing well, but because I haven't had a kitty with this issue before, I wasn't sure what it is "supposed" to look like 😊