Entering the “senior stage” of cat life

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I was shopping for cat food at Petsmart, and noticed one of the labels read “Senior diet for cats ages 7 and up,” and was taken aback. My Juli just turned 7 a few months ago, and for whatever reasons it never occurred to me to think that she’s now entered the “senior cat club.” 🥺

It’s been on my mind all day. I’ve had her since she was only 2, and I can’t believe she’s already a senior...I’m trying to not get sad about it 😐. She has a wellness exam with the vet coming up, so I’ll be sure to come with a list of questions and concerns.

what are some advice/tips for owners of aging felines?

In the last couple of years, I’ve transitioned Juli to about 65% wet and 35% dry. I’ve successfully brought her weight down a few pound oveR the last two years. She’s still about a pound away from her ideal target weight. Now that she’s a senior, I’m going to aim for a 100% wet diet.

since this year, I’ve gotten into the habit of adding like 1/3 cup of water to her wet food. I don’t mix it, and she eventually laps it all up. She also has a water fountain.

I’ve been adding fish oil capsules to her food, I ordered premium ones. She’s always struggled with dandruff.

Is there any other supplements I should look into? I realize the wet canned food has AAFCO approvals on them, but I’ve also read some comments that says a lot do the vital nutrients are lost in production. And right now I can only afford the lower end wet food, I rotate Sheba, FF, Friskies, some of Ralph’s store brand. I’m tempted to add some sort of Taurine supplement too.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling. I’ve just been kind of a bit emotional thinking about Juli as a senior kitty...

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember that when people talk of "senior age" about cats, they don't specify the breed so it's an average number with all kinds of breeds. For example, a Siamese cat can also have a long life (15-20 years) but due to their genetic disposition to some health issues, it's not uncommon they live some years less than tabby cats. So usually sources start their lifespan at 12. Here's an article that share different lifespans of different breed of cats: The Best Cat Breeds With the Longest Lifespans. For the breeds whose lifespan might naturally end at 12, 7 years of age would indeed be senior.

If by 7, you mean if your cat is truly a senior, it depends. Some cats start to show signs of senior-level aging earlier than the others. It is recommended to not skip annual check-ups and maybe do every 6 months depending on the case. Most vets I know usually do one very detailed check-up for seniors annually in the early stages of senior ages, twice a year in the middle and late stages of senior years. Of course regardless of the age, if there is any abnormality at the check-up they repeat that specific test to re-check the situation.

The rest entirely depends on the individual cat's health. I know 7, 10, 12 year old cats who still act like a 3 year old. And some others who slow down a bit earlier (by that I mean maybe sleep longer, not be as quick to jump highs as before, not shake off illness as fast as they did before, etc) It's just like humans you know. Technically my mom is senior and I'm 35 but she has more energy than I do and stronger health wise! :-)

I always remind this to us humans too. "Senior ages" is category that has years in it. It's not the end. It's not countdown to the end. It's years to enjoy :-) Just with some extra care for health and not to skip check-ups.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to write, this isn't about age anyway but, I recommended getting Juli tested for antibodies with VacciCheck first instead of vaccinating straight away. I did it again with my cat just last month and she still has highest level antibodies for FVRCP although she didn't get a booster in at least 3,5 years, possibly more. Not to say in every cat antibodies last that long as a rule of course.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I am sure what qualifies as a 'senior' for cats varies by who you talk to. But, I have mostly heard the range of 8 - 10 yos as being in the beginning stages of senior-hood. And, I was somewhat surprised to learn that there is another category beyond 'senior' - called 'geriatric'. I think Feeby was placed into latter category a couple of years ago (she is 16+ yo). Feeby is seen by the vet semi-annually and has been since they began labeling her a senior, around 9-10 yo.

The vet takes blood work - CBC, a Super Chem panel - and a urinalysis (if they can get any pee from her). Since Feeby is indoor only (with access to a screened in patio), the vet suggested we stop with all vaccinations, excluding rabies (a 3 year shot) when she was about 10 yo. And her last rabies was done in 2016. You could ask your vet about these if you are interested in seeing what they think about ongoing vaccinations.

If all the test results are fine, there is really likely nothing you need to do to change her diet. When/if Juli starts to demonstrate some mobility issues, you can have the vet do x-rays looking for arthritis, and then consider some arthritic supplements - whether or not she shows any real arthritis. There are numerous options, so you could always ask your vet what they think are the best supplements.

I would stress to you that you get copies of all her test results going forward and become familiar with what the values represent, along with the norms, highs, and lows - just so you can help the vet keep an eye on changing values that might suggest a potential health issue is brewing.

I personally don't see a need to load a cat up with supplements unless there is a need for them - arthritis, as one example, or as you are doing to help Juli with her dandruff. Most foods, even the ones on the low end of the price spectrum are required to contain a specific amount of taurine, so I am not sure why you would think that would be necessary - but, by all means ask your vet about that too.

Last edited: