Enrofloxacin Antibiotic

NoFear81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anybody is perscribe this antibiotic for thier pets, stop using it right away. How this is even approved by the FDA is criminal due to the health damage it does to your pets. I had no idea what this would do to my cat after it was perscribe to my cat for a UTI and without a urine test to prove it. I have been giving my cat 1/4 of a 68mg pill which comes out to be 17mg and it is not recommened to give pets more than 2.5 mg a day.Anyrhing higher causes issues with your pet. My cat has not been eating and not active and has been sleeping and doing nothing since taking the pills.One week of using it and now im stopping the medication due to the research i have found about cats going blind with anything higher than 2.5mg per day. Why in the hell would a vet want to perscribe this dangerous antibiotic in a high dosage and not anything more safer without the evidence of a UTI urine test? Isnt this a form of malpractice by the vet? All i got to say of my cat does not improve that vet clinic and the vet will be out of business and without a building to use. So help him god if my cat doesnt get better after she went in for a leg issue with possible ligament torn. I swear people are smarter than vetranarians these days and these vets dont care about your pet. Just like human doctors we are guinea pigs and lab rats to them and no punishment on thier part. That will change when its time to do vigilante stuff. Its not ok for them.to makes our pets worse or ourselves and they get away with it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry your cat is having a reaction to the antibiotics. But, it isn’t necessarily so much of an issue with the antibiotic as it is with the dose the vet prescribed based on what you’ve said. Did you ask the vet why they prescribed such a high dose? It would be interesting, and at least the right thing to do, to ask them.

Some vets will prescribe an antibiotic without doing a urinalysis, if the symptoms point to a UTI. Most vets do this as they are trying to accommodate many patients about keeping costs down, as urinalyses – like most all tests – aren’t cheap and many clients balk at the cost. I am in no way defending vets, but I do know that this mindset is fairly prevalent because everything costs so much nowadays.

As far as antibiotics go, all carry risks just like any other med. And, some will impact certain cats and not others. This is just a sad fact of life when it comes to medications in general.

Find out more from your vet about the dosage, and perhaps even ask for a different antibiotic if you are uncomfortable with this one. Better yet, ask about having a urinalysis done to help verify there is an infection. If there is one, your cat truly needs to be given a full course of antibiotics to eradicate the UTI.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree and wish I would have known about this drug before I accepted it for my GA cat Nico. He was a well controlled diabetic, but would have UTIs (which is sadly more common in diabetic cats.) The last UTI he had before he passed was very bad, and they prescribed this antibiotic. I wasn't aware of all its potentially harmful side effects before hand, and watched him experience a seizure right in front of me. We rushed him to the emergency vet, but they were unable to determine why it happened. I also think this played a part in his passing 8 months later, but again very hard to prove. I've felt immense guilt ever since for giving that medicine to him.

I sympathize with pet owners as we're often doing what we feel is best for our furry family members and never intend to put them in harms way. If you happen to come across this post and ever encounter this particular drug, I strongly suggest asking for a different antibiotic instead of this one.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The standard dose for baytril ( enroclaxin) is for a cat 22.7mg. Once every 24 hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NoFear81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry your cat is having a reaction to the antibiotics. But, it isn’t necessarily so much of an issue with the antibiotic as it is with the dose the vet prescribed based on what you’ve said. Did you ask the vet why they prescribed such a high dose? It would be interesting, and at least the right thing to do, to ask them.

Some vets will prescribe an antibiotic without doing a urinalysis, if the symptoms point to a UTI. Most vets do this as they are trying to accommodate many patients about keeping costs down, as urinalyses – like most all tests – aren’t cheap and many clients balk at the cost. I am in no way defending vets, but I do know that this mindset is fairly prevalent because everything costs so much nowadays.

As far as antibiotics go, all carry risks just like any other med. And, some will impact certain cats and not others. This is just a sad fact of life when it comes to medications in general.

Find out more from your vet about the dosage, and perhaps even ask for a different antibiotic if you are uncomfortable with this one. Better yet, ask about having a urinalysis done to help verify there is an infection. If there is one, your cat truly needs to be given a full course of antibiotics to eradicate the UTI.
The standard dose for baytril ( enroclaxin) is for a cat 22.7mg. Once every 24 hours.
Anything over 5mg is highly not recommemded by the manufactuer. That is written in the studies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NoFear81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Enrofloxacin is labled as the worst antibiotic for cats even though it works really fast but it comes with consequences. I never knew what it can do after i decided to reaearch it after 5 days because her actions started to be lack of rating,Sleeping and never moving around for 4-5 days. Andthe vet perscribe 68 mg and was told to give her 1/4 of the pill per day but thats 17mg for 1/4 and studies do show that anything over 5mg per day will immidiatly within two days start to do its damage to the cats eyes. And its dumb for why he perscribed Enrofloxacin and not amoxicillian because Enrofloxacin and different chemicals in it. So when people say that antibiotcs are the same its not true they have different chemicals in them. And the vet probably does not know what the worst side effect could cause in cats. Most likley he just gave it to make money because nobody wants that drug and they will pwrscribe it to people who dont know nothing about it becausr he never said anything about the dangers for takin it

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's very interesting, about it no longer being off label. Thinking back on other cats I've had with UTIs, I couldn't remember ever hearing about this antibiotic until recently. I do understand that UTIs can become difficult to get rid of in certain cases, so this script would protect against chronic UTI. But I also think vets should take into consideration pre-existing conditions, and really explain the dosage and potential side effects. I think had I had that information, I could have made an informed decision instead of being told I had to give this to him. Again, this was prescribed by an emergency vet clinic and not my vet. If anything, this just tells us we need to continue to advocate for our pets and ask questions when we don't understand. I was overwhelmed and flustered when Nico was sick, and shouldn't have let that cloud my judgement.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is just my personal opinion and I am not a veterinarian.
I think baytril ( enroflaxin) is a hardcore antibiotic that in some situations may be warranted for use in cats, but certainly not all. I think it is used far too often, like other antibiotics, think Convenia. Sometimes these drugs are just given to cats without any real thought as to why.
In my opinion, to just give a broad spectrum antibiotic to a cat for a urinary tract infection, without doing a urine culture is negligent. Without a culture, they don’t know what the bacteria is or what s as antibiotic is needed. Then once the cdt is given the antibiotic a culture can’t be done, so if it doesn’t work, sometimes they try various antibiotics until they basically create a super bug that winds up resistant to whatever they have tried.

it is frustrating and I truly feel that many vets out there are more geared to dogs and educated in dogs than in cats. In some places cats are seen as a burden and don’t get the same consideration that dogs do.
Of course this isn’t all places snd it isn’t as bad as it used to be.
The only thing you can do is make informed decisions, ask questions and let them know you want to approve any medication before it is given. Of course maybe word that differently.