Enema Aftercare/side Affects?

Cat_mom_casey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten 10 months old was taken to the vets last Saturday, due to him vomiting alot and refusing food and water and not having a bowel movement and at first the vet suspected he had a blockage or ate something that he shouldn't have. So he's been In there all week on anti vomiting medicine and IV fluids. He only had one bowel movement while a the vets so they gave him an enema and laxitives and he last threw up a few days ago and I bought him home and was advised to feed him about a tablespoon of food at a time and I did that and have just slowly given him food when he wants it trying not to give him too much and he just threw up and I was wondering if anyone knows if vomiting is a side affect of enemas and obviously diarrhea is going to happen, he done a few small poops at the vets and has pooped once since being home. But just a bit worried as I wasn't advised of side affects or anything.

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my girl had an enema to resolve serious constipation the only after effect was another large poop that evening. She clearly wasn't expecting it as it was all over our bed that me, OH and her brother were all in! :barf:. That was a 3am bed clean I could've done without!

She was absolutely fine though, she clearly felt much better and acted totally normal after that. I have no idea how an enema could possibly cause nausea so would definitely call your vet and see what they say.

Hope your kitty feels better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat_mom_casey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Can you contact your vet again?
Also, there are a number of discussions about enemas, but I'm not sure if there's anything similar to your situation...
Search Results for Query: enema | TheCatSite
I called the vet and she said that maybe he threw up because it was the food I was giving him when he was previously sick and he just smelt it and thought that's made him sick before and he couldn't handle it cause it's what he was throwing up before. I asked what food they were giving him at the vets and they told me and I bought some today. He hasn't been sick again and is really interested in food and has done lots of little poops, so that's a good sign. Thanks for your reply :)

Cat_mom_casey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my girl had an enema to resolve serious constipation the only after effect was another large poop that evening. She clearly wasn't expecting it as it was all over our bed that me, OH and her brother were all in! :barf:. That was a 3am bed clean I could've done without!

She was absolutely fine though, she clearly felt much better and acted totally normal after that. I have no idea how an enema could possibly cause nausea so would definitely call your vet and see what they say.

Hope your kitty feels better soon!
Thanks for your reply, I called the vet and asked and she explained that maybe he got sick cause the food I gave him was what he was throwing up before and that he smelt it and it made him sick cause he associated it with being sick. I got the food that they were feeding him at the vets and he's happy, hungry alert and hasn't been sick again and done lots of little poops.

Cat_mom_casey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Massive update, paraki just done a really big poop and passed a water balloon filled with poop so that's obviously what was causing a blockage and making him sick.

Cat_mom_casey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my! I'm so glad he passed that and hopefully is on the road to recovery. Gotta keep alert with those little kitties!
Definitely, they keep me on my toes that's for sure. No more water balloons for the kids unless they pick them all up next time.