Endless Meows and Roommate Quarrels

paisleyandbindi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have had Paisley for 2 years. She has a companion Bindi who I have had for 1 year.  When I adopted Paisley, she lived in a four bedroom house for the first year and a half. I moved into an apartment with a roommate six months ago and she has two cats. Everyone gets along and there is enough space for everyone to live in harmony. The problem is at night when we go to bed. When I lived at home my family was fine with Paisley "prowling" in the middle of the night, but my roommate requires that the cats stay in our own rooms for bedtime. Paisley will "cry" (meow excessively) from 2 am to 6 am. I usually wake up at 6:15 am and hit snooze but recently that has not been an option. Paisley also loved waking up early at the old house and watching the birds. She would even make that unique chirping noise! Now that we live on the third floor, the birds do not visit a whole lot. To make matters a bit more dicey, my roommate has a large window with a perch that is almost always in the sun, which is the best place to be in the house for the cats. Once I let Paisley out in the morning (and my roommate is still sleepin), she will cry loudly at her door.

As much as I would like to give her full access to the apartment at night, my roommate would be very upset about this. She is concerned that if Paisley is out and about it will wake her two cats up and then wake her up.  I am reaching out for help and I am willing to break my roommate's rules in order to keep Paisley happy. But I also know that I am wrapped around her paws. When she cries initially at 2 am, it is because her food bowl is empty and I get up to fill it. When she does not get her way at 6 am (sometimes 4 am) she will play with the blinds, knock stuff over, and chew up the toilet paper. Paisley has plenty of toys and my bedroom is a decent sisze (with an attached bathroom) but I do not have a big window for her to perch at.

Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Brittany Smith

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try giving her food in a puzzle so it will take her longer to eat? I'm thinking specifically of a food ball, it's like a toy plus food! Can you put a window-mounted bird feeder outside your room to attract more birds? My last thought is cat videos, like the DVD's they sell specifically for cats to watch with birds/gerbils/fish/etc. Will she watch one of those?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paisleyandbindi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I will try the cat video idea! That is a great idea to try and get her preoccupied with what she wants to see outside. I am not sure a bird feeder will work on the window, but I will also give that a shot. Thank you for your advice!