Enclosure question for semi-feral

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am trying to tame my semi-feral who has been on my screened lanai since 3/23 (someone had reported me for feeding her so I started feeding her out back and cut a hole in my screen):
Someone reported me for feeding ferals.).

She seems happy out there and has everything she needs, but still runs outside to sleep in the dirt and whatnot (through the hole I made for her). Is it time to seal the hole up? I feel like she will never want to come in as long as she has access to go outside.

She uses her litter box daily. I am not sure if she still hunts - her appetite is pretty good at mealtimes.

She is already spayed (long story - I have a long history with this cat). She does not attempt to come inside when I open the sliding glass doors.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am basing my suggestions on the assumption you don't have other cats. I would try to get her more interested in your home first if at all possible. Maybe, gradually move her food/water dishes closer to the sliding glass doors. And, offer her some treats or smelly food right inside the door to see if that will entice her to come inside. Whatever encourages her to come in the door food-wise, don't give her that same food outdoors on the lanai. If she goes for that, move the 'yummy' stuff further inside, and offer her some things/toys/perches that she might be interested as well - something to intrigue her to investigate. I think the key to being able to seal up that screen opening is to get her used to coming indoors and spending time in there. Initially, I would not shut the sliding glass door when she does come inside.

In the meantime, you could also make her a dirt bed on the lanai to see if she might be interested in that. And, along side of that add a 'real' bed, perhaps with some towels/blankets with her scent on them. Mimicking things inside your lanai to what you find interests her outside will help her to migrate there, but she also must willing to spend time inside your house as well.

That's my :2cents:! I am sure other members with more experience will have better ideas to offer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, yes, I do have 3 other cats (indoor), but they have been spending time out on the lanai with her to get acclimated. Everyone gets along.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
How friendly is she with you?

Yes, most cats will have little interest in the indoors or staying indoors permanently so long as they have access to the outdoors. I’d say it’s time to seal up the hole.

Bringing the outdoors in and/or making the inside more interesting with more trees, shelves, tunnels, playtime and toys, etc can help her acclimate.

A dirt bed as mentioned or a mini “cat garden” with catnip and cat grass that’s big enough for her to roll around on a big is a great idea, and your cats would probably love it too!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is very friendly in the sense that she loves to be petted, but I can't pick her up.

My complex uses some kind of red cedar chips (?) around the property. That is what she likes to lay in, or dirt. My only fear of making her a 'cedar chips bed' is that she will poop in it. I don't want to deter her from using her litter box.

Plus, I want to get her out the heat - it is in the 90's, although, she doesn't seem to mind it. The lanai is very shaded.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
New development - she is coming in tonight. I am not sure how, but she must come in. I just saw a very large wasp on the inside of my lanai. I am quite entomophobic, plus, I want her to be safe. I have never seen wasps near my lanai and I don't leave her food out. :cringe: It was traumatic, lol!
Anyways, I quickly shooed her off the lanai and got the wasp. I hope I didn't startle her. :runningcat:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure why a wasp is eliciting a rushed introduction to your house. You need to make sure there isn't a wasp nest somewhere on the inside of your lanai, and if you did, it would need to be removed regardless. But the likelihood is that it flew in threw a door that was open for a moment or the hole you made for her. If there is no nest inside, it would seem the odds are in your favor that you won't see another one in there anytime soon. Wasps also aren't interested in cat food as far as I know, so I can't imagine that would be a 'draw' for more wasps to come in. Unless you have 'killer' wasps it is highly unlikely that she is going to be stung by it. Are you concerned she is going to 'demolish' your lanai by chasing after another one if by chance one would appear?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, I am not worried about her doing anything. That did not even enter my mind. I am very afraid of wasps and not sure it would sting her. Yes, I realize I am probably overreacting, but large stinging insects scare me.
I will try to get her in a carrier tonight by feeding her from the carrier.

Leaving the sliding doors open is not an option.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wasps can sting cats. Fortunately, most kitties aren't allergic to them, though. It is not a chance I want to take. I did not see a nest.

I think she will do great inside -she knows her 'siblings' and has been using the litter box for awhile. There are several throughout the apartment.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you bring her inside, lock the other cats up in a bedroom first. She may panic for a little while, which may cause redirected aggression from the other cats or make them panic, etc. If she panics, get out of the way and leave her to calm down. I've had ferals try to jump through closed windows or climb the walls and you don't want to get in the way of that. Once they calm down it's usually fine.

If you can't get her inside, just closing up the hole should keep wasps out, right? Unless it's not fully screened, which is what I'm envisioning.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I totally agree, I will lock the other cats up at least for a little while - assuming I can get her in.

I am going to put a cat carrier out there with a towel sprinkled with catnip (she likes this). I will try feed her in it, and close it. It probably won't work - she is very, very smart - but we shall see.

I have a Tru-Catch trap, but I don't want to scare her. She has come such a long way in terms of her comfort level.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I couldn't catch her tonight. I will try the "stinky-treats-in-doorway" approach tomorrow. She is doing well and was sleeping in her bed last time I checked.

She has a bed, playpen, scratcher, and litterbox. But she needs to come in. It has been over 2 months that she has been living out there.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are more wasps. Clearly, there is a nest that I can't see, perhaps under the eaves or something.

I need her in STAT. I don't know what to do. She is sleeping in the carrier, but when I come out there, she comes out of it.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is the absolute quickest way I can get her in??? Should I set the Tru-catch trap? I fear it would take her too long, whereas she is already sleeping the carrier.

I am so worried. I hope she doesn't try to catch a wasp.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the Dr Elsey litter is attracting them. I thought it would be safe to use on the lanai since it is not food-based, but still....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sleeping in the carrier is good progress. Move the carrier closer and closer to the door, so that might help entice her to be interested in coming in the house. Does the carrier open on both ends? If so, perhaps place one of the ends up to the trap and see if she will go in there if there is food in the trap?

Is she still going outside at all? If so, can you get someone to help you locate the wasp nest? If it is not huge, all it takes is a wasp spray to kill them - and, fairly quickly as well. Once the nest has been sprayed with insecticide, the wasps that weren't in it at the time won't want to come back to it. It can be taken down almost immediately and tossed outside anyway.

IMO, if you do catch her in the tru-catch trap, you need to make a room inside that is hers, and take her there - leave your cats have their traditional space. Not the other way around. Adding all of the things from the lanai that is she used to that room will help.

Hope other members will come along soon with better ideas for you to try.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is going outside more than I would like. I fear I am losing ground with her. I don't want to call maintenance to come look for a nest because I don't want them to see that a cat is living out there - I don't think management would approve. :nono:

She will be fine indoors - that is the least of my worries. I have "her room" ready.

Her carrier is just one of those hard-sided ones with a front opening. She really likes it, but her instincts are incredible and she knows something is up.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
SHE'S IN!!!! I thought it would take more time. She is in her room, very still (I am in here with her). She yowled for a minute or two, now is very quiet.

I hope she will forgive me!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She had a GREAT night last night! However, this morning, she seems different and is wanting to hide. I don't understand. She was really happy and comfortable last night, eating, letting me pet hair, acting totally normal. :confused2: