Emptying the water bowl.... Please tell me WHY!

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both of our 6-month old kittens like to splash in their water dish. I think Possum learned to do it from Wendy, who was a splatterer from Day 1. But he's taking it a step further — likes to tip the whole bowl over, often right after I've filled it.

I know I need to get a more stable bowl, one of those metal dog bowls.

I've read other threads here so I know this is a common behavior problem and that hardly anyone has found a satisfactory solution. I spend a lot of time sponging up water and refilling the bowl these days and no amount of gentle reasoning will stop the kittens from soaking the kitchen floor! Sighhh.

But I would appreciate your theories on WHY they do this. Why does Possum spill all the water out of the bowl and then try to drink the few drops that are left in there, while shaking his wet feet? Makes no sense to me.

I don't dare get a fountain because I'm sure he'd figure out how to flood the place.

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we know that size doesn't matter! Your cats are GORGEOUS, by the way!

I just want to know WHYYYYYY.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I one had a cat water bowl with the resevoir that would refill it as they drank. Elliott would ALWAYS splash the water out of it because he loved seeing the bubbles go up in the resevoir, it fascinated him.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bunnelina

Okay, but has he explained WHY?
No, dangit. First I thought it was curiosity about the hole in the side of the ceramic bowl (just the right size for his paw) but when I put another bowl down, he tipped it and has been known to drag the mat underneath so it spills.

Maybe he is of the belief "all your water bowls are mine"?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smudge dumps out any standing water no matter what container. He usually only does it when we're looking right at him, so I think it's just an attention getting behavior. Jerk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Smudge dumps out any standing water no matter what container. He usually only does it when we're looking right at him, so I think it's just an attention getting behavior. Jerk.
Hmm, mine don't do it if we're watching. I have to sneak up on them to see what they're doing. It's pretty funny to see the paws going, but what if they do it when we're out for hours? All four cats will be thirsty.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Forrest is always playing in his water, putting toys in his water and trying to tip the bowls over.

I think he just loves to play in the water. If I have a faucet on he's right there trying to bat the water with his paw.

The other two cats don't like to play in the water, and I can see a sincere look of disgust on their faces when they approach a water bowl full of toys when they want a drink. But it is nothing like the disgust on my face when I find one of those brightly colored twine wrapped mice has been soaked in water for some time, then removed and placed on my white carpeting.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bugsy does this and I know why. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think he can see right in front of him. Unless I am there to dip his paw in the water and then reassure him that itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s ok while he splashes the water and tips the bowls he will only drink out of the tap.

I know he canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t see directly in front of him because he is so unsure about drinking. Sometime he tries to drink when his head too high so he canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t reach the water, or he will drink too low and inhale water through his nose which really upsets him. I believe his tips it and splashes to see where it is. But its obvious why he does it, you can immediately tell he is not having fun and is being extremely cautious so itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s probably a different situation.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a combination of cats not being able to see the water very well, boredom, and just finding out it's a fun game. There's really no deeper meaning to it - it's just something cats do because they can.
I've even had dogs that would test the water level before drinking (which looks more amusing than when cats do it)

All you can do is make sure the water doesn't go everywhere (put something under the bowl) and use heavier dishes that won't tip. Fountains, since the water moves, can help cats see the water level but it won't stop them from playing.