Empty Space

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For almost one year now I crossed a green area patch hosting a small feral colony. In the close background there are bushes and a a construction site.
An old lady brought food and water to the colony.
I saw her only two times during this period:
- One year ago I asked her permission to TNR the cats, but she refused.
- Second time I saw her I discussed about how to leave my wet food on site.

Now, there is only one bowl of water on the spot and I dont see any cat.
There is no food and the shelter (a sort of wooden box) disappeared.

Sad. What happened? What can I do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom Furballsmom !

Hard life for cats here.

It looks like the chaotic public constructions in my neighborhood have a serious negative impact on stray cats and colonies.

The day before yesterday I pull out a kitten from inside a parked car. It bitten me so hard despite being not more than 6 months old that sent me to the hospital for vaccination and cellulite treatment. A guy who cares 5 cats took it in a cage - he might be able to care for this rescued one as well - I dont know.

The City Animal Protection Service seems to be to small (or to ignorant?) to deal with the high number of stray cats. There are only few private shelters around the city that struggle to survive.

I really hope the old lady is only sick and will return someday.

I will have a look around for some private international funding for a"Save the cats" campaign. Any reference - highly appreciated!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Old Lady is back! I talk to her this evening, she is obviously not well, but manages to care the colony.
The shelter box was removed because the Park workers told her the box is ugly.
She visits her colony at certain hours and maybe not every day.
+++
I only gave her some dry food. She is a proud Lady, and she will never accept more help. I suspect she is in fact from High Society and the communists or the Fate turn her down.
Anyway, she got my full respect.
I am bowing my Head.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that, as much of an issue as we have in the US with people understanding cat colonies, that, in general, it's understood even less in many other countries. I definitely give enormous amounts of credit to anyone who's helping (or completely caring for) a colony - - it's hard anywhere, but even harder where you are!

Awww -- it sounds like she really cares about her kitty colony. And I'm SO sorry to hear the bite sent you to the hospital - - cat bites (when deep) really need to be watched for infection. Most people think cat scratches are what people need to worry about, and most people have no idea that deep bites actually have a much greater chance for infection. So I'm sad to hear you were bitten and had such a rough time of it - - but VERY glad you got to the hospital and got it taken care of!

The woman does sound very proud - and like she's doing all she can. Would it help her at all (and make you feel better) if you were able to periodically slip some fresh hard food into what she's already giving them? I know you said you spoke to her and she doesn't want help -- but she might appreciate - more than you know - knowing someone (besides her) cares what happens to her furry ones. It might make her feel good to know someone else is at least keeping an eye on them - - -and that, if she can't make it for any reason, if you see them going unfed, etc. for a period of time, that you'll step in and give them food and water. I know most of us worry about our colonies like crazy - - and to know she has a bit of a back-up might actually be very appreciated!

Just a thought! Whatever happens - - - feel good in knowing you cared, and tried to make a difference! Many people would have walked by and never thought a thing of it - - - good for you for being a caring person!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
kittychick kittychick Thank you for your time to read and write so kind rows!

Time to time I leave open cans of wet food to the entrance of the colony. Cats roam behind a fence in the park and the feeding is in front of an ad-hoc gate. :-). The Old Lady agreed.

+++
Cat bite is really dangerous. It can kill a human in two weeks. The bacteria enter derm and dissipate to the whole body rapidly.

One year ago my own cat has bitten my hand. That was like a needle mark, 2 drops of blood, nothing more.

In 12 hours, my arm bulged twice as normal size. ER, IV antibiotics, 10 days in hospital.

+++

Now.

The age and size of the cat does not matter. The one as rescued one week ago was not more than 6 months old and very skinny- like a ghost. Nevertheless, it managed to penetrate my skin (I am a male) in one complicate bite. A cat bite is very sophisticated: the neck and paws fully participate. To be studied (by the survivors :-).

This time I applied iodine in 10 minutes and got a dose of amoxicillin OTC (I broke the law) and I went to the hospital next morning (within 12 hours). Nevertheless, the finger started to bulge in 2 hours after the bite and the ER physician changed my antibiotic to doxicilin 5 days and gave me first dose (out o required set of 5) of anti-rabia vaccine + anti-tetanus vaccine.

Again, a cat bite is not something to ignore. If immediately treated - not big deal. But immediately means hours.

I am writing these rows for people to understand how big the danger is. Scratches are nothing comparing to a cat bite. Maybe some humans are more resilient than the other but I would never ever bet on personal immunity.

Last edited:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO great to hear you get to leave food for the kitties - - and that the woman that's their main caretaker doesn't mind. I'm sure the kitties all appreciate it!

You're definitely right on bites vs scratches! I never ever want to scare people unnecessarily about cats (and bites and scratches), but it is good for people to be aware of - especially when handling unknown kitties. Whenever I've worked at a cat shelter, people (including other workers & volunteers) are often more concerned about scratches then bites. My very unscientific opinion is that it's because a scratch often looks "nastier" initially since scratches often puff up and get a little red fairly quickly - - whereas bites often look like little unassuming puncture wounds. But deep bites should always be watched carefully and checked out - - as you've obviously learned the hard way (for which I'm so sorry - you've really been through the wringer as far as bites and your body's physical reaction!).

But it's also good to know that even after all that - - you still love and care about kitties!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It was my fault, not cat's fault. :-)

Cats do what a predator does: bite and kill.

My obligation is to take care of myself, which obviously I did not. In the wild I would have been eaten by now. :-)))

Basic precaution: to wear gloves whenever one does not know the cat.

I really dont care about scratches, but most people I talk to seems very scared about being scratched and I think that they do not believe me that punctures are the real danger. Unlike dog's bites, that are spectacular (plenty of blood), a cat's bite is hardely noticed and does not warn about potential infection. Moreover, the people I know bitten by dogs did not get infected.

On the other hand, you are right about the need not to scare people. Especially the parents. But some may ignore vaccination and healthcare in general. In my very personal opinion, every child in a home near foxes or cats must be vaccinated anti-rabia (lasts 5 years) and anti-tetanus (lasts 10 years). Iodine (whatever brand) shall be always on shelf.

+++

Life is full of surprises: a Big Cats practician died not because of a Tiger bite, because of a parrot (psitacosis).

Is not for us to decide on Life and Death.

+++

The kitten I rescued belongs to the Old Lady Colony. I saw it yesterday. I did not tell the Old Lady. This will be my little secret :-)

Last edited: