Empty Nest Syndrome

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So...all of my fosters have gone to new homes as of today. Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy but wow, never thought I'd miss the hustle and bustle of a full house this much.

Just a little backstory: I fostered a mama cat and her 7 kittens for nearly two months. Mama came pregnant with her next lot of kittens (another lot of 7 😳) which we made the heartbreaking decision to abort. She was severely underconditioned, had bloody diarrhoea, about 18months old and this would have been her third litter.

Luckily, all went to new homes. Two went to separate homes and two people took pairs. And mama cat also found a loving home, which I am grateful for.

If you pay close attention to those figures, that makes 6 kittens, not 7. I had a foster fail, my first one. The smallest boy of the lot kinda of just chose me. He formed a special bond with my current cat, and he followed me everywhere. I couldn't bear to part with him, not knowing what he faced in life. So Alfie joins the family.

But I miss his brothers and sisters too.

So to cure my empty nest blues, I would love to hear some of your foster stories, fails or successes.

Haven't fostered? Tell me what made you choose your kitty.

Looking forward to it!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never fostered, but I'll tell Charlie and Selene's stories.

Charlie came to me about seven months after losing my last childhood cat. I was more than ready to have a cat in my life again. A coworker of my mom's had found a feral kitten, but there was no sign of his mother or siblings anywhere. She wasn't able to keep him, so at work she started asking if anyone wanted a kitten. Mom texted me, and I immediately said yes. I've had Charlie for five years now, and while he can still be difficult, he's fully embraced the life of an indoor cat.

When Charlie was about a year and a half old, I decided to get a second cat. This time, I went to my local shelter. I sat in the cat room and watched how the kittens interacted with me and each other. There was one kitten who was clearly trying to avoid me and the other kittens-I figured things wouldn't go well at home if I picked him (don't worry-he was adopted the next day.) Another kitten was a very pretty tortoiseshell-but she kept picking fights. However, there was also a grey tabby kitten who plopped herself in my lap and went to sleep. When I held her, she rested her head on my shoulder and started purring. I made my decision right then and there, but I like to think that Selene and I chose each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every single one is special, aren't they. I'm assuming Charlie is the black cat in your profile pic...he's so big! And Selene looks positively sweet. Thanks for sharing!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every single one is special, aren't they. I'm assuming Charlie is the black cat in your profile pic...he's so big! And Selene looks positively sweet. Thanks for sharing!
I took that pic about a month after Selene came home. They befriended each other pretty quickly!