Empty house - what to do after?

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just lost our Yoda, who was our only remaining cat. While we are grieving, I have found myself thinking - what the heck am I going to do with all this stuff? Three cat trees, three scratching posts, an over-sized scratch pad, five litter boxes, bags and bags of litter (we were trying to find a type he liked), leftover medications, toys, etc.

While we cannot responsibly adopt another cat too soon - Yoda left behind over 3k of medical bills - we do know we want another in the future. I hate to get rid of these expensive pieces, but wow, what a lot of storage space.

Anyone out there have any suggestions or their own stories of what they did with all the cat supplies?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello! I'm so sorry to hear about your baby!
You might ask your vet about the meds.
The litter could be donated and you could ask the rescue or shelter if they could use other things.

It was extremely difficult for me to come to grips with my Maine coon's passing and I eliminated her things from the house. However, as you've mentioned, given the costs of replacing those things, I wish I'd kept some things for us and Poppycat.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my last one past away i gave all his unopened meds to a small voluntary animal hospital at a shelter near me and the extra food to the shelter.
The vet looked at what I gave him and said I can use these, thanked me and disappeared so I was pleased they were really needed.
All his toys and things I kept because I could not bear to have a house without a cat in it and they have all been well used and abused by my next one.
Sorry about you losing Loda but you never forget the special ones.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my last cat died I just couldn't believe it, so I kept everything exactly where it was, as she would have come any moment and need it.

At the end, I bought a storage box and put all her stuff away, just like I did with the previous cat. I have two identical storage boxes with their things in.
I didn't give away anything, all their items were sacred to me. So I decided I wanted to keep their things forever. Their food is still there, very likely expired, as are their last meds.
I admit I have a very hard time parting from what was theirs.

Her litter box is still there, though.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep everything that is in good shape. You could wrap them in plastic and store them in a shed or unused place in the garage. Throw the litterboxes, or if they are fairly new, clean them thouroughly and see if a shelter would want them for new adopters along with the food. The meds can be assesed by a vet to see if they could use them.
I always encourage people who have lost their little ones to keep some small momentos. It may hurt too much in the early times of mourning, but later it is comforting to have a physical reminder of things they used and loved. You might even include a small note with some things to refresh your memory in coming years. I kept several reminders of my departed ones. It brings a fresh pang of sorrow when you first see them, but the wonderful memories you have of better times comes forward quicker and quicker in the passing years. I'm so sorry about your Yoda, I know he would be honored to know another little one would be sharing what he himself loved. It is one way to keep his memory alive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you in a position to foster kitties? If not, a foster program might be able to use some of those things. I donated some cat trees and other things to new kitty foster homes. They were really appreciated.
That is a fantastic suggestion. We plan to donate all the bags of litter, his special needs food and his unused medications, but I wasn't sure about the rest of it. I will look around and see who might be able to use some of what we no longer need.

I appreciate every story posted; it has been so weird to have a quiet house. If we were financially capable, we'd be thinking about another animal already. For now, it helps to know you guys are here. When I am feeling capable, I will post a memorial for him and his brother - who passed away a year and ten days ago.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Yoda, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

You've been given some excellent suggestions, and the very ones I was thinking about. Any and all of them, in some combination, would be excellent.

If we were financially capable, we'd be thinking about another animal already.
If this is the case, then fostering may be perfect for you. In most cases, the shelter/rescue remains responsible for veterinary care, and you would only have the basics...food, toys...to cover!

My heart with yours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Medicines: we were able to donate the unused medicine to our vet's office. They will be able to use them both in their office and for our actual vet, who takes in animals in need.

We did decide to have Yoda privately cremated and returned to us - something I never thought I would do, considering the cost. We looked at all the urns available to us through the service, before we even considered looking elsewhere. Amazon was our end choice, with something affordable and also dignified for our family member.