Emotional support cat!

Katy Perkins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, guys. So I am diagnosed with ADHD a few months back, and all the procrastination, anxiety, and unfinished tasks have started making sense. My therapist suggested going for an emotional support animal. Well, I have been a cat lover forever; therefore, I will undoubtedly adopt a cat. Has anyone of you experienced having an ESA for mental health issues?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I have ADHD and battled severe depression and anxiety all my life. I currently have 5 cats, 3 with special needs and I find that they do help immensely with a multitude of things. Even though I didn't adopt any of them as an ESA, I still enjoy the benefits of having cats. First, it's been proven time and time again that even petting a cat can reduce stress and anxiety. Plus (and I know I'm not the only one who does this), I talk with my cats. I can tell them anything without the fear of judgement or hatred. It's allowed me to verbalize some pretty serious things I've gone though and just getting that stuff off my chest has been amazing.
My only caution is this - if you are going to get a cat, 100% for the reason of an ESA (and that you love cats), make sure to find a cat who is registered as an ESA. They have been trained and checked for certain traits that allow them to excel at being supportive. In this case, do not adopt a cat and call it an ESA.
However, if you want to adopt a cat and enjoy the benefits of what comes with, then by all means please do. Just don't expect the adopted cat to cuddle on your time, let you hold it and pet it until you're done. Shelter animals aren't trained for that type of targeted support and most of them have gone though their own hell. Doesn't mean they won't be extremely happy and loving to be in a home where they're spoiled beyond belief, but if you set your expectations too high on a non-trained ESA, you could end up disappointed and the adopted cat would have been unable to reach your higher demands of support.
I wish you the best in your search and we're always here if you need us!

restrictionavm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an anxiety disorder, paranoia and manic stages. My therapist also advised taking an ESA to help me cope with life's difficulties with my disorders. I agreed to take the dog. And life in the company of this beautiful creature began to make sense. I even wanted to get my own pet. Of course, I wouldn't be able to monitor the animal permanently, so ESA is the best solution for people like me. I also took this dog on a flight because it's very difficult for me to transfer flights or public transport. This dog behaved even better than me. So yes, I suggest you take an ESA cat. It will have a good effect on your condition and mood.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never had an official ESA, but the three cats I have owned since I was an adult have helped me immensely with my depression, anxiety, and loneliness. My female cats were never "cuddly" in the sense of liking to sit in my lap or let me hold them. But sometimes just watching them chase a toy and do funny moves is the only time I laugh or smile in a day. Also, just knowing someone is there waiting for me at home is huge (I am single). My male cat was actually the most cuddly and I swear he knew when I was upset. He would come up to me when I was crying and got in my lap and purred and purred. They may not all comfort you the same way, but just having them in your life is a beautiful thing.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any cat (or just about any animal) can be registered as an Emotional Support Animal and don’t require any special training.

Service animals do require training and the requirements are well defined.

Belle is my “ESA” although I haven’t registered her as such. Having Belle around greatly reduces the stresses of my everyday life. I also have an awesome wife.

K Katy Perkins , get a cat. Better yet, get two!