EMERGENCY

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens are 8 days old and panting. I didn't move them after a stray gave birth to these two on my terrace. My area temperature today is 35°C. And the room where she gave birth is 30% glass so heat is getting trapped. Should i move these kittens? Would mother be angry if i do so?? Couldn't attach the file but please use this link

24.31 MB file on MEGA

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any windows or doors that can be opened for ventilation? Can you run an extension cord and put a small fan out there, not directly on kittens? This IS an emergency, kittens like a lot of heat but that is pretty hot, kittens can't regulate their body temps. If you could move them into some sort of shelter in the shade close by, she may move them, but at least they would live......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are there any windows or doors that can be opened for ventilation? Can you run an extension cord and put a small fan out there, not directly on kittens? This IS an emergency, kittens like a lot of heat but that is pretty hot, kittens can't regulate their body temps. If you could move them into some sort of shelter in the shade close by, she may move them, but at least they would live......
You misunderstood, the box is already inside a small room at my terrace. Completely Protected from rain and direct sunlight, im just worried how i saw them panting (that was panting right?). Its just the doors and windows that are made of glass that trapping the heat inside, and I've already opened those.

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If there was any way to set a fan up that would help. They look hot to me. Is mama cat around?
Yes i can manage a fan there, i went to check them now, they aren't panting anymore. The white little one doesn't move much until you gently touch it, but the black one always crawl here and there. And no mother is not around, she went out side for 3 hours (she does this every day and comes back before sundown).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you feeding mom so she does not have to forage? I’m also wondering if the kittens may need supplemental feeding with kitten formula and a syringe if mom is gone for long periods.

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding mom so she does not have to forage? I’m also wondering if the kittens may need supplemental feeding with kitten formula and a syringe if mom is gone for long periods.
Yes I'm feeding the cat with some milk and fish, but she has a tendency to go out for poop and then start wander around the whole neighborhood. But i didn't touche the kittens much, i was afraid if mother's sent gets erased. Mother stay all night and half of the morning (till 10am) with these kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get her some canned wet food and a bag of dry kitten chow? The kittens will eventually need to eat this also when they begin to wean at around 5-6 weeks old. Both the wet and dry have the essential nutrients cats need, including taurine, which is vital to neurological development. Mom’s milk will become richer for it.

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I
Can you get her some canned wet food and a bag of dry kitten chow? The kittens will eventually need to eat this also when they begin to wean at around 5-6 weeks old. Both the wet and dry have the essential nutrients cats need, including taurine, which is vital to neurological development. Mom’s milk will become richer for it.
Will definitely do that. Here's another link what do you think? Do they look too bad?

53.18 MB file on MEGA

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would add a thin blanket or towel for them to lie on. They appear healthy, but seem to be seeking their mama for food. Kittens this age need to nurse every 2 hours.

With that being said, you might want to pick up a can of powdered PetAg, GNC, or Royal Canin kitten formula (pet store), along with 1-2mL needleless syringes (free at a pharmacy) and consider feeding them while mom is out.

Here is a helpful video for syringe feeding:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

I say syringe because most kittens with a mom will reject a bottle as they are accustomed to mom.

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would add a thin blanket or towel for them to lie on. They appear healthy, but seem to be seeking their mama for food. Kittens this age need to nurse every 2 hours.

With that being said, you might want to pick up a can of powdered PetAg, GNC, or Royal Canin kitten formula (pet store), along with 1-2mL needleless syringes (free at a pharmacy) and consider feeding them while mom is out.

Here is a helpful video for syringe feeding:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

I say syringe because most kittens with a mom will reject a bottle as they are accustomed to mom.
Thank you for your time, i will definitely do these. Mom is here (phew), i fed her with some milk and fish. Too bad i had to rush to shut those windows after hearing some crows around.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good mom is back!

The other reason to have supplies on hand for syringe feeding is that, unfortunately, mom may go back into heat again at anytime, and when she does, she may be gone completely for a couple of days mating. Kittens will need to eat.

Mom will need spaying in a few weeks to avoid another litter. Poor thing — stray cats have a rough life.

Maybe leave a couple windows open an inch or two for air until evening when things cool down?

Thank you so much for caring for this little family!

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good mom is back!

The other reason to have supplies on hand for syringe feeding is that, unfortunately, mom may go back into heat again at anytime, and when she does, she may be gone completely for a couple of days mating. Kittens will need to eat.

Mom will need spaying in a few weeks to avoid another litter. Poor thing — stray cats have a rough life.

Maybe leave a couple windows open an inch or two for air until evening when things cool down?

Thank you so much for caring for this little family!
Thanks again for all those information.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to add, moms usually do not abandon their kittens just because a human touched them. Especielly not if they know this human as docile and friendly. And you ARE her food provider, no? :)

Of course, dont overdo the disturbing if you arent sure she trusts you....

Tridibesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to add, moms usually do not abandon their kittens just because a human touched them. Especielly not if they know this human as docile and friendly. And you ARE her food provider, no? :)

Of course, dont overdo the disturbing if you arent sure she trusts you....
Noted☺☺