Emergency Trip - Need To Introduce 1 Year Old With 7 Month Kitten Asap

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a emergency trip coming up soon and I need to find someone to look after my cat. I don't trust my step father as he works all sorts of hours and my brother will be with my auntie. I don't think my auntie has any experience with cats at all and she's scared of them so it's a no go.

I have a cousin who does have experience with cats and has her own with her teenage kids. She'll always be home as she homeschools her kids.

They don't have a spare bedroom and my mother is not happy with having a pet sitter having our keys. Our neighbours are a bit scared and again clueless so we don't trust them.

I am happy to spend a few days at my cousin to help Nalah acclimatise. Please give me some tips. Nalah is a shy type whereas my cousin's cat is a social cat always trying to make friends when he can which is unusual - he can't fight at all, usually the poor mite is the butt of the fight. Is this ideal? They're both neutered as well.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It will help that they are young. I had to do something similar this summer when my adult son with a broken ankle and his year old cat had to come stay with me. I tried keeping them apart but one of my boys opened the door the second day. If your cat could stay in the room with one of the teenagers for a few days that may help. Staying there for a few days is also a good idea. How long are you gone?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a week, it won't really be that long but it's my first trip away which is why I am so nervous, you see!

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it a good thing that my cousin's cat is a social buttefly of some sorts?

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it a good thing that my cousin's cat is a social buttefly of some sorts?
I'd say so. In my case, my 10 month old (at the time) Angus is a social butterfly--he tries to play with and groom every cat he meets (not all of the ferals in the area are thrilled with those behaviors). It caused a bit of a problem with my niece's cat came because that cat had been bullied pretty severely for a long period of time by another cat in the house so he saw Angus' efforts at play as a threat.

However, when I found Leo, a three month old kitten in my parking lot, Angus managed to sneak into the quarantine room after just a few days and immediately started grooming the Leo. The kitten was still pretty scared and uncertain, but he accepted the grooming and the two of them were playing happily within a week. I'd still take it slow, try to do some scent-swapping in advance if you can (send over some bedding of the kitten's and get some of the other cat's bedding) and make sure there's an abundance of resources = 1 more litter box and 1 more food dish than there are cats in the house.

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That gives me some hope. I wanted to introduce them a bit earlier when they were both kittens but Nalah wasn't neutered back then yet so I'll do the hard work before I leave by giving him her blanket she's had from birth to smell and she can smell something of his