Emergency - Quick Breathing

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure what happened. Peaches suddenly came home with her breathing all awry like she was gasping. I counted her breathing about 80 a minute. Her gums are pale. She's weak and her third eyelid is present. Her tummy is bloated and if I tap on it I can hear noises like in a gassy tummy.

Its 12am here. No emergency vet services. Can someone please let me know what I can do to tide us over until 8am

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you and Peaches are going through this. Maybe she got into something toxic, since this seemed to come on suddenly.

I can see from your profile that you're located in Jakarta, Indonesia. I did a quick google search, and it seems like there's a 24 hour veterinary clinic called Ragunan Animal Hospital, in South Jakarta. Is it possible to take her there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got home. Doc said it's inconclusive so far bc that clinic doesn't have xray facilities. She tried to straighten her legs (she was limping) and peaches cried in pain. She said she might have been hit by something or attacked by a larger cat. Maybe abdominal hernia.... Or pneumonia.

Either way we're really scared. Peaches is just a kitten, not even 6mo. So worried. We'll go to the vet clinic for an xray tomorrow afternoon (it opens at 10am) and will contact another vet who did Butter's surgery a year ago to see if she can do this too.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did they give you any pain meds or anything? Has her breathing improved?

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was given 2 injections for pain I think. Not really thinking straight now. 2.30am here. Can't sleep bc I'm so anxious. Her breathing is still shallow. Doc seems p sure something is not allowing her to breathe freely and she's worried it's something around her diaphragm. There's nothing much she could do she said bc the symptoms she's showing is not specific to one thing.

She advised me to give her honey and water to keep her blood sugar up, and basically keep her comfortable until tomorrow. I'm so restless. I have a meeting tomorrow. I'm going crazy

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're dealing with this, especially at this time of night. I would be up worried sick as well. I hope your vet tomorrow can provide a more conclusive answer, and that she stays stable. Hopefully the pain meds will help her feel better.

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, mokapi. I really appreciate the replies- my sister is already asleep and I could only rant here. Thank you thank you I hope so too. She's snoozing now. I hope I can steal some winks too.

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update. The xray comes out clear in the diaphragm so it's not hernia, thankfully. She does have some whitecasting around her lungs and her heart appears bigger than normal, possibly bc it's hard to breathe. We also took a blood sample and saw the WBC count about 28.000, everything else is normal.

The vet said it might be a lung infection. We might try nebulizing her tomorrow (might because I'm not sure I have the funds for it). The rest is just supportive therapy.

Hopefully we pull through.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here are a few nebulizer videos.
I've seen individuals point the nebulizer in the crate or attach to the gate pointing in the crate.

While this looks like the best way many kitties will not sit while you do it.
Some vets have nebulizer chambers. Should you need to make one.
Just a storage tub, cut hole for nebulizer and you could tape it on.
Let us know how things go. In the USA a nebulizer can run $50. Don't forget to ask your vet if it's really expensive if you can rent it. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Another option is getting a script (not sure how that works in your country) for a human one (if it's cheaper) and make as follows.
Just trying to add some options for you.

Last edited:

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Valentina! I've viewed your videos. They're very helpful! The nebulizer itself is the one I'm most worried about. It's expensive here :( I'll ask around if we're allowed to rent one although I'm positive the vet would like it better if we go to and fro everyday :')

Thank you, thank you.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if a human nebulizer could be used, ask the vet. Check pharmacies near you that might give you an idea on pricing and who has it cheapest. Just a couple links. Worth checking out if the cost could be less.
You can search medical supplies in your area.
Jual Alat Kesehatan Medis - Distributor Alkes Jakarta

Sell Nebulizer by Wesmed, Jakarta Cheap Price

Compressor nebulizer in Jakarta online-store Sarana Medika Sejahtera, Company | Buy Compressor Nebulizer Jakarta (Indonesia) | Sarana Medika Sejahtera, Company : Allbiz

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, Valentina! I've viewed your videos. They're very helpful! The nebulizer itself is the one I'm most worried about. It's expensive here :( I'll ask around if we're allowed to rent one although I'm positive the vet would like it better if we go to and fro everyday :')

Thank you, thank you.
Hi,
I'm very sorry.
80 breaths per minute indicates an emergency, and what you describe, including the limping indicates it might be a blot clot - in those cases euthanasia must be considered, or heart disease/congestive heart failure. For congestive heart failure the use of a diuretic, Lasix, give by sub q injection can restore normal breathing, at least for a time but must be given daily.