Emergency construction in my house, 1 scaredy cat + recovering from spay surgery!!

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So last night the gypsum ceiling in my house collapsed. It happened at 2AM while i was sleeping. It was my room so soon it will become construction site and there will be repairman running around for the next few days to repair the leak also.

Our socially significant area living room and my room will have heavy traffic and they have to transport supplies. So my only option is relocate (including me) in a spareroom rarely used. I almost always keep the door locked so it doesn't have to be cleaned as often.

I let rivel sometimes explores in there, but not often mostly cos so i don't have to clean it from other dusty clutter.

The room is big, have outside windows view, and i also will be sleeping in there, but i am basically locking her out of her "house" into a new one. What can i do to comfort her? I brought all of her stuff in the room. Her bed, her small cat tree, her blanket and litterbox. The construction should last approx. A week.

To add the problem silver is getting spayed today, and since activity is gonna be restricted to 1 room i am just thinking of her staying in the hospital after the construction is done. Depending on the situation, it can be faster or longer.

IMG_20210129_013150.jpg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure your vet hospital is going to want to keep a cat unnecessarily, and they might charge you a crazy amount if they are willing. Keep in mind that people in studios do neuter/spay only one pet without it always being a disaster. You *might* need to use the bathroom for isolation if Rivel is jumping on her and inspiring her to move fast or fight, since female cats especially need recovery time without activity, but hopefully not since the surgery takes a good while to heal. You might need to use the bathroom for isolation for at least the period where Silver is drugged out, as she might lash out at Rivel and cause problems. Depending on the drugs used, they can be stoned as hell for hours on coming home. Remember to have a blanket with Silver's scent ready to gently rub on her right when she comes home (or before) to prevent redirected aggression.

Another issue you should think about is why it collapsed in the first place. What is that up on the wall near the collapsed spot, a room heater or some kind of AC?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure your vet hospital is going to want to keep a cat unnecessarily, and they might charge you a crazy amount if they are willing. Keep in mind that people in studios do neuter/spay only one pet without it always being a disaster. You *might* need to use the bathroom for isolation if Rivel is jumping on her and inspiring her to move fast or fight, since female cats especially need recovery time without activity, but hopefully not since the surgery takes a good while to heal. You might need to use the bathroom for isolation for at least the period where Silver is drugged out, as she might lash out at Rivel and cause problems. Depending on the drugs used, they can be stoned as hell for hours on coming home. Remember to have a blanket with Silver's scent ready to gently rub on her right when she comes home (or before) to prevent redirected aggression.

Another issue you should think about is why it collapsed in the first place. What is that up on the wall near the collapsed spot, a room heater or some kind of AC?
The problem is the bathroom will be a part of where the construction will occur. The ceiling collapsed because of leak from the roof from faulty / old storm drain pipes that accumulated and collapsed. I am don't understand much about construction, so can't comment on specifics. I already talked about them. They will charge extra fee per diem of the hospital stay, but i think i will just do it for the time being.

If everything goes well the work will be done in 3 days. My only worry is it's rainy season now, so rain will make the work slower. I am taking time off work too to oversee the construction.

My mother offered me so she could come visit and help watching the handymen and the cats, but i feel like the risks isn't worth taking during such time.

On other news, silver's operations went well. I ordered blood tests too and everything come up good. She's a happy healthy kitty.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok rivel is doing better than i expected. She becomes a lot clingier and insist i sleep by her side and just purrs non stop. When there is work she hides under the bed, i just let her be.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad that Silver is doing well after her surgery. Glad that Rivel is doing well with all the construction. We recently had a new roof put on our house and Boone and Gracie hide downstairs all day. They cautiously came back upstairs once I got home from work and the coast was clear. But holy crap about the ceiling collapsing. I bet that scared the crap out of you!

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad that Silver is doing well after her surgery. Glad that Rivel is doing well with all the construction. We recently had a new roof put on our house and Boone and Gracie hide downstairs all day. They cautiously came back upstairs once I got home from work and the coast was clear. But holy crap about the ceiling collapsing. I bet that scared the crap out of you!
Pretty much. I thought it was the roof too haha, but just the ceiling. Rivel is calmer than i expected and she's been nothing but sweet. At night she crawled on my bed and cuddled with me. She really knows when i am stressed so she offered her soft, warm furry butt to comfort myself.