Emergency change of location of feeding/litter

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had been keeping the litter and the area where I feed my cat in the basement. Well I've had a major flooding issue, and I have to find a new location immediately. I've read it's recommended to "slowly" move the locations, setting up a second litter tray and feeding station so the cat can make a gradual transition, but what if what is not an option? I'm particularly worried about the litter as I don't want him to poop or pee somewhere else if he's unhappy about it moving.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you close off access to the basement and put the new litter pan right next to the door? That way kitty is more likely to see it's there while trying to get to the original location.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you close off access to the basement and put the new litter pan right next to the door? That way kitty is more likely to see it's there while trying to get to the original location.
Yes, that should be possible. I'll try that.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
In addition, I would make sure the basement is completely void of any stagnant water or mold that may accumulate before returning his litter box and food dishes there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well he took to a new litterbox quickly! He didn't seem too put off by changing where he eats either. I may just end up permanently changing his feeding location.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update, that's great news. :thumbsup: Good luck with the flooding/clean up in your basement.