Embarrassing Moments Involving Cats

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that happened to me recently got me thinking about how difficult it can be sometimes to explain things to non-cat people, or even just how being a cat person can take you into places you really do not want to be. Here is the story of one of the most mortifying things I have ever gone through:

I was going to my daughter's birthday party, which she was celebrating with a ski holiday, and I had to cross the whole of France by train. As I needed to set off at 6am, I got everything I was going to wear ready the previous evening and set it all out next to my suitcase in my bedroom. AS usual if I am going away, the cats senesed it and were definitely unsettled, but I cuddled them all and tried to get some sleep. In the morning I got dressed very quickly in the dark and rushed off to catch the first of three trains. I got on the train, found my reserved seat, put my jacket on the rack above and relaxed for hte first stage of the journey. A man got in and took the seat next to me.

We had been travelling about 30 minutes when I realised two things. First, that I could definitely smell cat urine, and it was worse when I moved, second, that my companion was aware of it, because he kept shuffling in his seat and casting glances at me. I sat as still as possible. Eventually he got up and moved to a seat further down the carriage, which at least allowed me to investigate. I discovered that both my jacket, which was above my head, and the scarf around my neck, had been peed on. I took off the scarf but my sweater was also affected, and I could not take that off.

It got worse. The ticket conductor came round. I could see him talking to the man who had been next to me, who was obviously explaining why he had moved from his allocated seat. When the collector came to me, he punched my ticket and then stood there and looked at me a moment, before asking if I was all right. They both obviously thought I was an elderly lady who had peed myself. I just answered that I was fine, and he looked a bit embarrassed before moving off.

When we reached the station where I had to change trains, I had time to rescue a plastic bag from my suitcase and put the jacket and scarf into it, which lessened the problem for the rest of my journey, though there was still quite a whiff from my sweater. Fortunately my sister, who was also staying in the ski resort, had a washing machine in her chalet and put everything in there that night.

The cats were definitely determined that I was not going to forget them while I was away! They know of old what a suitcase means, I should have realised they might try to mark it.

What are your stories?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh noo. :lol3: If it was me I'd have worn a paper bag over my head for the rest of the ride. :anon:

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too funny!
I had a cat pee situation as well.

I remember I was in 1st grade and my kitty hated me going to school. He showed his displeasure but spraying on my book bag.(my parents were not informed on the neutering of pets this was in 1975)
My teacher was not a cat person and announced to the class that my cat peed on my bag and she put it outside, everyone either laughed or made faces at me.
I was mortified, she could have pulled me aside and told me quietly to avoid my embarrassment.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that happened to me recently got me thinking about how difficult it can be sometimes to explain things to non-cat people, or even just how being a cat person can take you into places you really do not want to be. Here is the story of one of the most mortifying things I have ever gone through:

I was going to my daughter's birthday party, which she was celebrating with a ski holiday, and I had to cross the whole of France by train. As I needed to set off at 6am, I got everything I was going to wear ready the previous evening and set it all out next to my suitcase in my bedroom. AS usual if I am going away, the cats senesed it and were definitely unsettled, but I cuddled them all and tried to get some sleep. In the morning I got dressed very quickly in the dark and rushed off to catch the first of three trains. I got on the train, found my reserved seat, put my jacket on the rack above and relaxed for hte first stage of the journey. A man got in and took the seat next to me.

We had been travelling about 30 minutes when I realised two things. First, that I could definitely smell cat urine, and it was worse when I moved, second, that my companion was aware of it, because he kept shuffling in his seat and casting glances at me. I sat as still as possible. Eventually he got up and moved to a seat further down the carriage, which at least allowed me to investigate. I discovered that both my jacket, which was above my head, and the scarf around my neck, had been peed on. I took off the scarf but my sweater was also affected, and I could not take that off.

It got worse. The ticket conductor came round. I could see him talking to the man who had been next to me, who was obviously explaining why he had moved from his allocated seat. When the collector came to me, he punched my ticket and then stood there and looked at me a moment, before asking if I was all right. They both obviously thought I was an elderly lady who had peed myself. I just answered that I was fine, and he looked a bit embarrassed before moving off.

When we reached the station where I had to change trains, I had time to rescue a plastic bag from my suitcase and put the jacket and scarf into it, which lessened the problem for the rest of my journey, though there was still quite a whiff from my sweater. Fortunately my sister, who was also staying in the ski resort, had a washing machine in her chalet and put everything in there that night.

The cats were definitely determined that I was not going to forget them while I was away! They know of old what a suitcase means, I should have realised they might try to mark it.

What are your stories?
Oh no! This is terrible. And halarious. Cats!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, Jenny, that's funny!   I don't have any stories that would compare to that one!  

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my friends came over after she got off work to help me take one of my cats to the vet one day. One of her cats had peed on her shoes and she did not notice it until she got out of the car in my driveway. She took her shoes off and left them outside while we put the cat in the carrier. We do not wear the same size shoes so she could not borrow any of mine. The vet walks in the exam room to check my cat for a URI and asks if he is having any urinary issues. My friend told the vet her cat had peeled on her shoes and my cat has a cold. My poor friend was mortified that she had spent 8 hours at work in pee covered shoes. One of her cats had recently been to the vet for a UTI.

Last edited:

bob 1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was headed to a friend's home for New Year's Eve and was going to stay overnight.  Was going to leave the boys alone as it was just for 24 hours.  Packed an overnight bag and was about to throw in my toiletries kit and I thought the bag felt pretty heavy - This is what I found - he had been hunkering down in the bag to go with me...

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was standing in my apartmnet doorway talking to a neighbor. Comet was rubbing againt my leg trying to get attention. Then he used his claws to try to climb my leg, pulling down my elastic waist pajama pants. In front of my neighbor and 2 passers by. I really hope it wasn't caught on security camera. I can picture my apartment manager, feet up, eating popcorn watching security footage and seeing my pants around my ankles and laughing hysterically

I just wanted to crawl in a hole.

Last edited:

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL, great tails.  

A lady from the drapery store was at my house to measure for new drapes.  From behind us, under the dining room table, came the unmistakable sounds of a hairball being horked up.  Unmistakable to me, I had no idea what she thought so I was left wondering whether to explain or ignore or apologize or what.  What a nice lady, she looked at me and said she had a cat too.  Still, how embarassing.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had always wanted to own a Tonkinese cat and when we adopted Susie, a Burmese cat, we decided to mate her to Simmie, our intact Siamese.  The first mating failed and we decided to repeat the exercise when Susie came on heat again.  

Some months later my mother-in-law invited her vicar to tea.   Being a cat, Susie decided to come on heat the same day.  During tea the vicar said "I hear that you have two lovely cats.  May I see them?"  With some misgivings, we brought in Simmie and Susie but just as we put them down they decided to mate. 

After the first, noisy, mating in front of the vicar, they rushed round the room and again mated noisily.   The vicar carefully put down his cup and said "Thank you for the tea, unfortunately I must go now" and left.  The two cats continued their activities unabashed.