Being Reviewed Email Notifications

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am still getting an email when someone posts in a thread. I don't want the email notifications.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Click on "Watch Thread" at the top right, above the first post. You should get a pop-up where you can change the notification settings.
watch thread email notifications.jpg

You can also change the notification settings for an entire forum by clicking on Watch Forum at the top right:

watch forum email notifications.jpg

By clicking on your user name at the top right and going to "Preferences", you can change the notification settings for the entire site:

browsing preferences.jpg

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcat - this simply doesn't work. I've unchecked everything, and am still getting emails.

@anne - this is clearly a bug.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad I am not the only one. I have even switched to unwatched on the threads and I am still getting emails.

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I seem to be having the opposite problem- A thread that I actually started, and used to always receive email notifications from, I realized someone posted to the thread yesterday and I DIDN'T receive an email notification! Why is that happening? Also, I noticed I can no longer see where people are from when they make a post, if they happen to have their location listed in their profile. I liked being able to do so, and it can be informative when answering questions for people,without having to actually go and ask where they are from.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jcat - this simply doesn't work. I've unchecked everything, and am still getting emails.

@anne - this is clearly a bug.
I am glad I am not the only one. I have even switched to unwatched on the threads and I am still getting emails.
Could you please try adjusting the settings on "Browsing Preferences" and clicking "Save Changes" a second time? It didn't "take" the first time I tried it, but it seems to be working now.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
..............You can also change the notification settings for an entire forum by clicking on Watch Forum at the top right:

View attachment 176220
Is there a way to select both New Threads and New Messages? Option is only select one but not both.

I think it'll be good to be able to select both so that the alert will be for both instead of just one and will be missing either one since we are watching the thread.

So if New Thread is selected, we won't be alerted for New Messages and vice versa. Am I right to say that?

I'm a little confused over this option of selection.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a way to select both New Threads and New Messages? Option is only select one but not both.

I think it'll be good to be able to select both so that the alert will be for both instead of just one and will be missing either one since we are watching the thread.

So if New Thread is selected, we won't be alerted for New Messages and vice versa. Am I right to say that?

There should be a single option for, "do not receive any emails from TCS," and that should be the default. As to subscribing to separate threads or forums, that should be likewise. Users shouldn't have to, "unsubscribe," every time they post; that's sheer madness.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
There should be a single option for, "do not receive any emails from TCS," and that should be the default. As to subscribing to separate threads or forums, that should be likewise. Users shouldn't have to, "unsubscribe," every time they post; that's sheer madness.

Yes, a single option for "do not receive any emails" would be good but it is also good to have the option to either select either one or both New Thread or Messages and get notified via alert.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

I think if you chose new messages you get everything, threads and messages. I honestly don't want to try it though because I don't want to get flooded with emails. :lol:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I think if you chose new messages you get everything, threads and messages. I honestly don't want to try it though because I don't want to get flooded with emails. :lol:
That's the way it seems to work.

Users shouldn't have to, "unsubscribe," every time they post; that's sheer madness.
Isn't that covered when you untoggle "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply" under "Browser Preferences"? And click "Save Changes"? It works for me and the test account I used.

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the way it seems to work.

Isn't that covered when you untoggle "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply" under "Browser Preferences"? And click "Save Changes"? It works for me and the test account I used.
jcat - there are four different places in which "receive site emails" is initially the default: under "Contact Details," "Privacy," "Messaging Preferences," and "Alert Preferences." If the box is checked in just one of the four areas, emails are sent to your registered email address.

That explanation should be made here (it just was, in fact, in the preceding paragraph), because it's simply not intuitive to hunt around for the same switches in several different places.

With all four set to "no mail" my email seems now devoid of new messages from TCS, having found the last switch only a short time ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has been several hours for me so I think the emails are turned off.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not getting all notifications. A few trickle in, but I am still missing quite a few. I keep checking threads and there are responses and I never received an email notification.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:lol:..........I don't want that too.

It should be allowed to check one or both option and disable receive email notification and you won't be flooded with emails but just get notified via alert on the top right hand corner.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
jcat - there are four different places in which "receive site emails" is initially the default: under "Contact Details," "Privacy," "Messaging Preferences," and "Alert Preferences." If the box is checked in just one of the four areas, emails are sent to your registered email address.
That's good to know! I don't recall looking at all of them.

SJSupport

I am that tech you're looking for
Young Cat
Purraise

That explanation should be made here (it just was, in fact, in the preceding paragraph), because it's simply not intuitive to hunt around for the same switches in several different places.

With all four set to "no mail" my email seems now devoid of new messages from TCS, having found the last switch only a short time ago.

There are several seemingly redundant options in these area, which is probably leading to a lot of the confusion. Also, the previous platform had a tendency to send out notifications for everything, where the current platform does not.

Long story short, I've never seen a robust notification system that wasn't at least mostly baffling to try and figure out or get used to.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More email from the site this morning:

Cat Owners: What is the most ANNOYING thing, and what is your BIGGEST FEAR about owning a cat? - New reply to watched thread

It's clear that every thread to which you respond - no matter the fact that every "no email" box is checked - the site defaults to "watch this thread and receive email" unless you physically uncheck the "watch this thread" box when you reply - every time you reply.

The default should match your alert preferences - not default to "watch this thread and send email."

@anne - I loved this site; it's populated by some of the most delightful, caring people I've ever known, but there are simply too many problems now, and it's impossible to live with. I genuinely regret asking this, but please delete my account.

To all: continue to be who you are - a community of people who Love animals, and who care about one another. I'm truly proud to have been a very small part of this wonderful group.