Elura appetite stimulant, dosing

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with kidney disease who, like many with this illness, frequently isn't interested in eating. I called the vet and asked if I could get Mirtazapine in the transdermal ointment that's rubbed in the ears. They said it was back ordered and there was no way of knowing when it would be available and offered to prescribe Elura, which is a liquid. My cat hates to be held, so the idea of holding her and having another family member pry open her mouth to get the medication down her is a nightmare. She'a already become wary when I approach because we've been giving her subcutaneous fluids. Even when it's not time for that, if I just walk near here she often runs away. I know her hiding places but generally won't pursue her because that would only heighten the negative feedback. How in the world can I start giving her an oral medication if I can't even catch her or will be forced to let go because she struggles and scratches? I read that you can or should feed the cat half an hour after dosing, so I won't be able to mix it into food (and since our problem is that she won't eat, the odds are she wouldn't consume any of the mixed in medication anyway). There just don't seem to be any good options except hoping that her appetite will return, which if often does; she tends to go through phases of a few days when she rejects most food—I have prescription diet canned food made by Science Diet, Royal Canin, and Purina, all of which she has at times readily eaten or completely ignored—and then starts eating again. I thought the transdermal medication would be the best option, but now that's off the table.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be that the brand name, Mirtaz, is on backorder. I would call up a compounding pharmacy like Wedgewood and see if they can formulate a generic mirtazapine transdermal. I see this is something they already offer. Give them a call and make sure there isn't any supply issues on their end. In my experience, Wedgewood has been able to get their meds shipped and delivered within a few days to a week with rush shipping options available. If Wedgewood's twist-a-dose pen is available, your vet will need to call or fax in the prescription. After that, it's easy breezy. Usually a representative will call you within a few hours of receiving the prescription from the vet and confirm your information. You can help them out by creating a user and pet profile ahead of time. Their support is really helpful and you can often speak directly to a pharmacist if the support representative cannot answer your question. No long hold times either. I don't like giving cats medicine either. But if I need to, I now check Wedgewood to see what my options are.

Mirtazapine Twist-a-Dose Transdermal Gel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'm looking into that. It still won't be easy to use the ointment, given my cat's increasing skittishness. But at least that should be easier than a liquid.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'm looking into that. It still won't be easy to use the ointment, given my cat's increasing skittishness. But at least that should be easier than a liquid.
Pair it with a treat. She’ll put up with the wet willy for the treat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Seriously, call Wedgewood. They have let me speak to their pharmacists even before I offered to give the prescription to them and will be very helpful. If she is already wary and avoiding you, the next step is to try a transdermal.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wedgewood can also do flavored oils. For Krista's chemotherapy, I had that medicine compounded into a super-concentrated anchovy flavored oil. Instead of having to give 1 mL of liquid, I could mix 0.1 mL with about the same amount of salmon oil. It came out to an oil puddle about the size of a nickel that Krista always disappeared on her own. 😋 You can try that if you think she'll run away from you with the transdermal.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't see why not! Her liquid is flavored though she still doesn't like it even when I add it to food.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am using Elura right now and have used Entyce (dog version) a number of times. The directions specify that it should be administered into the mouth, but I can find no warning about not doing it that way. The medications have a maple/vanilla flavor and scent to them and no one ever took either willingly. It might throw the taste of the food off.

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can put Elura into empty gel caps so that your cat doesn't drool or object to the taste. I wasn't able to give this to my cats without using a capsule. A #5 capsule holds 0.1ml while a #4 capsule holds 0.2ml.

ccmays

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can put Elura into empty gel caps so that your cat doesn't drool or object to the taste. I wasn't able to give this to my cats without using a capsule. A #5 capsule holds 0.1ml while a #4 capsule holds 0.2ml.
This is going to help me so much!!!! I didn't know they made empty gel caps!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is going to help me so much!!!! I didn't know they made empty gel caps!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
I give my 10lb cat 0.2ml once a day, every other day (I alternate days with 1/4 of a cyproheptadine tablet to keep costs down. This is working well for my cat.) using a #4 capsule. You can see the 0.2 ml mark on the syringe that comes with Elura. iirc, that's about 1/2 the recommended dose for his weight but it seems to be enough. When I put the Elura in the capsule I place the tip completely over the capsule opening & squirt it all in with one quick motion. I found if I try to gently squirt it in an air bubble will form & I can't fill the capsule.

ccmays

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just orders some capsules! Thank you so much for the information!

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Elura sometimes seems to be hit or miss. Has anyone else seen this happening?

I believe there must be situations where my cat has recently eaten (maybe even the treats after dosing?) or doesn't feel great at the moment. So, I'm splitting the dose into two half-doses. This seems to be enough to stimulate eating & maybe I'll catch him at the right time.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have used both Elura and Entyce, although neither at the present time. They work entirely differently from other appetite stimulants and I have always been underwhelmed with the success. My vet said that they are used/intended for animals with kidney disease and are safer in that case.

Hit or miss is how I would describe them, too.