Elsa's babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No he's fine with them as he knows our daughter and I both love fostering. We don't expect him to do anything with the cats/kittens so he's happy with that.

My brain doesn't really understand how a person can see a kitten and not want to pick it up and snuggle it :lol: but I guess that's how he feels....however weird that is lol

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No he's fine with them as he knows our daughter and I both love fostering. We don't expect him to do anything with the cats/kittens so he's happy with that.

My brain doesn't really understand how a person can see a kitten and not want to pick it up and snuggle it :lol: but I guess that's how he feels....however weird that is lol
Right. Kittens are irresistible. He does sound like a very reasonable man though.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
How crazy! What you went through with Silky is seriously what I am going through with Blake and her kittens! Blake is not cleaning any of the kittens or herself and there is poo EVERYWHERE. Her kittens cry constantly and are impossible for me to syringe feed. They have been loosing :/ What did the vet say when you took her? Has she been cleaning them now? I am taking Blake to the vet today!

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet didn't really say what was wrong, but she gave her an antibiotic injection and gave me a bottle of betamox (penicillin) to give her for the next week.

She's a lot calmer last night and today. I haven't seen any of the aggression towards the babies.

Because she was calmer and because she needed encouragement to feed, I put her into the crate with the kittens and I closed the door so she had to stay with them. At least she is close by and they can crawl to her. The babies weights are better today. Not as good as they had been but enough that I'm not concerned about them.

They are not totally clean but she is making some sort of attempt. Interestingly, their poo which was runny yellow mustard colour has changed to solid brown poo - very similar in size and shape to guinea pig poo! I wonder is that a natural development OR did the kittens in fact have diarrhoea and that's why Silky didn't want to clean them?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm.. Mine all have the yellow poo too. Did Silky have any vomiting or diarrhea?

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Silky didn't have vomiting but the last poo she did was very squishy/sticky. Before that, we thought she was constipated as she hadn't been for a couple of days then did two huge poos, then kept dropping bits of poo from her bum without realising. I switched her food to increase her wet food intake and that's when we got the squishy one.

She's very gassy though, letting off smelly farts which probably means something is upsetting her tummy.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm.. ok. I haven't noticed any change in Blake's poos or gassiness. I am just so worried. I am anxious for our vet appointment this evening.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe keep an eye on kitten weights during the day. I could see they were losing weight yesterday over only a few hours. At least doing this feels better than doing nothing.
Hope Blake and babies are ok.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I have switched to round the clock feedings with the kittens every two hours until we figure out what is going on because everyone has lost the last couple of days :/
Love the pictures of your babies! How old are Silky's now?

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Silky's really confuse me because they were born 3 before midnight and 3 after midnight. On Thursday/Friday.

So, I think that makes them 11 days :dizzy:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My theory is that your cat and kittens had coccidia, and the antibiotic is working to clear it. The kittens are benefitting from that through mom's milk. So glad they are getting better!

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That makes sense alright. I just weighed them again (it's 3.30pm here, weighed at 8.30am also). Three have lost weight. I'm a bit surprised as I thought they were feeding better today. Maybe Silky's supply has dropped if she hadn't been feeding well the last few days.

I'll supplement them but not too much as I still want them to feed from Silky to get the antibiotics and build up her supply.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...i just googled it and it seems the incubation for coccidia is 13 days so it looks like they are too young as the yellow poo started on Sunday when they were 9 days old.

But it's possible it was another type of tummy bug.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's awesome that Elsa's babies are all spoken for. Any word on how Pippin and her brother are doing?

Yellow diarrhea can be a bacterial infection as well, so clearly the antibiotics are helping, thankfully.

I sure hope you see some weight gain before you go to bed tonight.

This crew has truly been worrisome!

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, Pippin and Mac have settled in really well. Their new mom is very good with them. The shelter manager went to check them last night and was only able to figure out which one was Pippin because she had her eyes open and the others don't!

I've checked the weights again and they are back up so I'll keep monitoring. I don't want to jump in with krm too quickly as it's important for them to get the feeding from Silky established again and they seem to be on the right track.

The other thing I noticed, they are CLEAN!! Silky must have cleaned them. They are back to being fluff balls. (Look at Bruce licking his paw in the photo!)
20170425_195612.jpg
20170425_195725.jpg
20170425_195737.jpg
20170425_195753.jpg
20170425_195808.jpg
20170425_195853.jpg

Tiny tiny steps but in the right direction.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are weights today? Is Silky still keeping her kittens clean?

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Sorry I was offline today ....my sister arrived from Scotland for a visit.

Good news from the shelter, Pippin is now 168g (she was 149g the last time I weighed her.) Mac has also gone up, he's 260g now.

The four boys with Silky are still clean and are slowly gaining weight. What I'm noticing is 3 will put on weight and one will stay the same or drop 2-3g but it's never the same one so over the longer term, they are all gaining.

Silky's tummy seems to have settled well on the prescription food and she is mostly calm. She does need her alone time but she seems more caring towards the kittens and came to lick one who was crying for example.

Babies are holding their heads up and I spotted Oreo walking up off his belly!

They are clean and fluffy.

Elsa's family will be leaving us next week. They will be going to their new homes. I will miss the crazy nutters...they climb my legs now when I go into their bathroom!