Elsa's babies

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So sorry this is what you returned to. She looks very content in the carrier with them though! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Doesn't she, all snuggled up!

I hope it's just that she was missing me as I've no plans to go anywhere else! This girl is really finding motherhood a struggle.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Things have not improved with Silky. I'm wondering is this what abandonment looks like?

She's not cleaning the babies and won't go into the crate when they are crying. I washed them again last night and this morning they have pooey bums again and the smell is awful.

Silky was outside the crate looking in and a baby was crying for her and she just sat looking at him like she didn't know what to do.

I told her to get in and mind her babies and I put her in the crate. The babies were all looking for attention and she tried to leave. I put her back in and closed the crate. She started cleaning and feeding them.

I should add that 4 of them had dropped weight last night so I gave them supplemental feeds.

Is she giving up or is the fact she's still feeding (reluctantly) a good sign?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! She does not seem to possess the maternal instinct like other cats. I hope she's not giving up, but weight dropping is clearly not a good sign.

Continue encouraging her to do her job, and hope she will. It looks like you'll have to monitor food intake carefully, along with cleaning.

If Silky had this litter in the wild I believe they would not have survived.

This is truly concerning.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The shelter manager has decided to try two of the kittens with a new mum who is very confident and has clearly had kittens before. Her babies are a few days old but are a similar size to Pippin, so she's going to try Pippin and one other.

I've decided on Mac as he hasn't been doing so well the last couple of days.

They also have a number of people on standby to bottle feed the rest if things don't work out.

I'm bringing Silky to the vet again as she's not grooming herself or her kittens. Her white coat is covered with yellow kitten poo stains and she is a bit smelly. Something is not right, poor girl.

Do cats get "baby blues" or postnatal depression? Or do they tend to get written off as "bad mothers"?

I'm kinda sad things have got so hard for Silky but I know this is for the best to give them all the very best chance. There's only so much I can do and bottle feeding them all would be too much.

But yes I agree they have done better than they otherwise would.
Little monkey is feeding 2 on my bed! I was bottle feeding Pippin and Mac, but he fought it so hard that Silky came to see what the commotion was. I had to make her lie down to feed but once she started she was fine.

20170424_121518.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully, Silky is just overwhelmed and her health is okay. Let us know how this all works out.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I brought everyone to the vet and she (different vet in the practice) has put her on antibiotics and I also got some prescription food for her tummy.

The vet checked over the kittens as I was worried they might have an upset tummy too. But she said they looked ok and it was very hard to tell if a kitten has diarrhoea or just normal runny new born poo.

She thought getting another cat to take a couple of kittens was wise at this point because Silky is finding the whole ordeal so tough.

Looking at Silky I realised she really is very small and very skinny. She's lost any bit of weight she had.

The good news is Pippin and Mac were adopted immediately by new mum Sully. She had her own 4 babies on Saturday and already her babies are bigger than Pippin!

Mac looks like a bit of a brute with them but I'm sure it won't be long till they catch up.

Seems funny seeing Pippin, the tiniest kitten with her eyes fully open!

Here's a few photos of Sully. Pippin is the grubby/greasy looking kitten and Mac is the big one!
20170424_150430.jpg
20170424_150434.jpg
20170424_150845.jpg
20170424_150858.jpg
20170424_151057.jpg
20170424_151111.jpg

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad she has easily accepted them! Hopefully silky can do a better job having only four.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is this at the shelter?

So glad the bonding went well. I'm hoping Silky begins to feel better soon too.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope so. She's really is trying so hard but then loses her way a bit.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's always something. But you probably knew that things would go tits up if you went away. How different Silky has been from Elsa. Silky definitely went to pieces when you went away. Can you imagine her birthing outside? I doubt any kittens would have survived.

You're doing a great job. What's interesting to me is that kittens will feed from a new momma with no problems.

Hope things will improve this week.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is this at the shelter?

So glad the bonding went well. I'm hoping Silky begins to feel better soon too.
I missed your comment earlier. Yes, it's at the shelter. I did mention that if she's still there when Elsa leaves, she could come stay with me.

Primula Primula , Silky has struggled all along and I think my leaving was the icing on the cake that just tipped her over the edge.

I still hope she will flourish as a mum given the support she needs, but I know she might not have it in her, so I won't feel bad if she doesn't.

The report from the shelter this evening is that the two babies are doing great, Sully comforts them immediately if they cry (which must be nice compared to the scolding they got from Silky!) And the manager noted that Pippin is a right bully, ensuring she gets the nipple. Lol lucky Pippin, she doesn't have to fight bigger kittens now.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness Silky never has to be a mother again. Your shelter sounds like an amazing place where there is always someone to help you.

How are Elisa's babies doing today?

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to say, they are fab. They have a huge number of volunteers who work in the cattery / kennels, fosterers, a fundraising team to look after the finances, and the shelter is located in the grounds of a vet hospital and they work very closely together.

If I think one of my foster babies is unwell, I bring them to the vet and I don't have to pay as the charity who run the shelter covers it.

They also give half price neuter/spay vouchers. Low cost neuter/spay isn't widely available here in Ireland so a half price voucher is a great incentive.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="irishmammy, post: 4270531, member]Low cost neuter/spay isn't widely available here in Ireland so a half price voucher is a great incentive.[/QUOTE]

It isn't here either, believe it or not. I live in a major city, but we have to use a mobile that does not come to our city, but does go to neighboring towns. It costs $85, which is really inexpensive here. My local shelter, which is on the other side of the Connecticut River, now has their own spay/neuter clinic, which we will use in the future.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Elsa's babies are just gorgeous. So playful. I take them out of the room to another area to play away from Elsa. She's more than happy for them to go off.

Tulip and Lilly love to climb into your lap and snuggle.

20170423_180431.jpg
20170423_174427.jpg
20170423_173930.jpg
20170423_174332.jpg
20170423_173754.jpg
20170423_174847.jpg
20170423_174055.jpg

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A cat spay here is about €80 (well that's what it was about 14 months ago when I got my 2 done.) It would probably be more expensive in the cities.