Elliot likes to watch the toilet flush.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just another cute behavior that Elliot, our younger cat, has been doing, lately.

He's only been living with us for a little less than two months. He's getting used to his new home, nicely, and he's starting to show more of his little quirks.

His latest cute quirk is running into the bathroom to watch the toilet flush.

We all know that cats like to perform 'sentry duty' when their humans go to the 'human litter box.' He does that very well, I must say!

When we come out of the bathroom and flush the human litter box, he'll put his front feet up on the toilet seat and watch it go down.

Yes, I understand why he does it. Cats often act as sentries for each other while they go to the box. Since cats often think of their humans as one of their clan, they do sentry duty for us, too. Of course, once the other cat finishes its business, the 'sentry cat' comes in to check the box. Since Elliot understands that the commode is the 'human litter box' he wants to come check it for us, too.

It's gotten so that we open the bathroom door, first, to let him in before we flush, just so Elliot can watch the toilet go down

[Open door] ... "Okay, Elliot, c'mon in!" ... [Flush] ... Cat runs into bathroom!

It's super cute and it's really funny how his head moves in a little spiral while he watches it swirl! He probably thinks its fun to watch the water go down, too. ;)

I've lived with six cats, over the years. Three of them were mine and the rest belonged to roommates. I've had cats that stand guard in the bathroom before. (Casper, the oldest, does it.)

I've never had a cat that NEEDS to watch the toilet go down, before!

Does anybody else have cats that like to watch the toilet go down? ;) ;) ;)

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm posting about Sweetie who is at the rainbow bridge now.

I live near an ambulance garage. When I first adopted Sweetie years ago, every single time there was the sound of a siren he would rush to the window to see what was happening. My son and I had a joke that he was our ambulance chasing cat.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo loves to watch the toilet flush, too. It's not every time, and he doesn't rush in. But if he's in the bathroom when I flush, he does the same thing - puts his feet on the seat, and watches the water go down.

Mingo is intensely interested in everything I do. One day, I had the lid off the tank to replace the flapper. It's attached to the flushing arm with a chain and a snap. I kept trying to hook the chain, over and over, and kept losing it at the moment it should snap. I was having a terrible time seeing the snap and failed every time, Finally, I looked down and saw Mingo's head and ears. He had his paws on the tank wall and was peering into the tank, fascinated by my attempts. He completely blocked my sightline. I had to put him down to finish the task.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And it is all cute and adorable and stuff...until he LEARNS HOW TO FLUSH IT, and the water bill goes up $250 a month! That said, MOST of them don't.
Easily stoppable... ;) ;) ;)

Available from the usual suspects.

Elliot hasn't tried to flush by himself... yet... but there was one time when he sat there and waited, meowing at me, while the tank refilled so that I could flush again. Maybe he had ulterior motives and wanted to see how it worked.

If I wake up at 4:00 AM to hear the sound of the toilet flushing, over and over, I won't say you didn't warn me. ;) ;) ;)