Elevated Liver in Bloodwork (semi feral cat)

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi eveyone.

I recently took my cat to the vet. He escaped from my house and got spooked once he was on the street and I spent several hours chasing him from underneath cars. He hurts his paws in the process so I took him in the next night. Turned out he just kind of burnt and bloodied his pads and broke a nail.

I should note that this cat used to be an outdoor cat but after his colony friends died or disappeared I brought him in. I say this because he isn't easy to handle or to bring to the vet. I have to throw a Tupperware bin over him.

While I was there they did bloodwork since he was actually there! Today I got a call thinking they were following up on his paws but they told me his liver was extremely elevated in the bloodwork. So much so that they were calling the lab back to check and make sure the results were right. I am still waiting to hear.

In the meantime they suggested an ultrasound. Which I am happy to pay for and booked already but it's so tramatic bringing him to the vet. I don't want to stress him out anymore this week if this is unnecessary.

Also he is showing no other symptoms. He eats plays uses three litter box and drinks water. Nothing weird I can tell other than he gained a lot of weight.

Has anyone ever had something like this? Any thoughts on what this might mean? I'm going to talk to vet tomorrow more but thought I would give this site a shot.

Thanks in advance.:)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you ask them if they can suggest anything to help calm him a little?... -- that won't complicate the liver values.

Was he underweight to start with, or is he fat now? Can you talk with the vet, if they don't bring it up, to see about decreasing the weight back to more normal? Is he on canned food? Many site members have seen a gradual (very important to go slowly) weight loss by feeding wet food rather than kibble. More exercise can be helpful as well.

Hang in there!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Hopefully, there was a lab error and the liver enzyme readings were incorrect! If not, you need to know that there are a number of different enzymes related to the liver. So, find out which enzymes were elevated and what the potential health impacts are related to those specific enzymes. That conversation should also prompt the vet to explain what they are looking for with the ultrasound.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I completely agree with FeebysOwner. I have had more cat and dog ultrasounds than I probably remember, the majority spurred on by the suspicious liver test. Since you are able to do it and since your poor boy is frightened of going to the vet, it is probably a good thing to do as it will rule out anything major hopefully. They will absolutely sedate him if he is at all difficult, so I also agree that would not hurt him to have some other sedation prior, especially if the ultrasonographer travels from one clinic to the other and there may be some down time.

Get the low down on all the liver enzymes that are in question and what conditions they are tied into. You are very kind to have given a home to his guy even if he goes off the rails from time to time.