Elevated kidney levels in young cat

Fegil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I went to the vet today with my 3 year old cat because he's been a bit finicky with his food and not eating as much the last couple of days.

He's got a bit of redness/inflammation in his mouth so I figured that was it. It wasn't.

Just got his blood test results back and his kidney levels are a bit elevated. We're going back tomorrow to find out what's going on (ultra sound, urine sample) but I'm obviously devastated, he's so young. :(

Has anyone experienced this and what was the cause? Is there any hope it'll return to normal?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Talk more to your vet about the cause, but something that could help, if you aren't already, is to feed canned food :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fegil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will, I'm just so impatient and want to collect as much info as possible. Good and bad.

He's eating wet food yes, thanks for your reply. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Jamie is just over three and has had high BUN for quite a while, with borderline high creatinine and BUN/creatinine ratio. We have done subQ fluids, tried the prescription diet which was a complete failure, and have done an ultrasound which showed absolutely nothing wrong. They continue to be on the high side and when the coronavirus crisis is over my vet recommends that he go to an internist. Jamie is somewhat of a picky eater, wants everything that is not great for kidneys, and so nothing is conclusive yet. He is absolutely himself and acts normally from day to day, energetic, looks healthy.

Fegil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They're keeping him at the hospital over night (at least) :(
He had some inflammation in his intestines, gall bladder (I think it's called? Not a native speaker) and some minor something on both kidneys.

Poor kitty, I had no idea it was this bad.
But the vet said the prognosis is good, which I'm happy about. Fingers crossed he is well enough to bring home tomorrow. Thank god for insurance.

Fegil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone, I miss him a lot. He's still not home. :(

He seems fine, but still not eating on his own. They want to do a third ultrasound because they're worried about a foreign object in his colon/tummy since it's still filled with gas. I'm sort of freaking out worrying about lymphoma or something "untreatable".

They've done 2 already + xray so I'm not sure what a third one will show, but I'm not a vet. Can't go see him either because of Corona. Poor baby must be so scared.. :(

Fegil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On my way to pick him up! So happy I could cry (but I won't since I've been crying too much already). Yay!

Fegil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We went back to the vet on Sat when he started feeling bad again, finally got him started on prednisolone and mirtazapine.

He's been eating a lot and saw vet again for follow up (they did an ultrasound for free this time, very kind of them!). Gallbladder looked a little thick/inflammed still, but a lot better. Got the results from the blood tests yesterday and everything is within normal range. I'm so happy! ❤

Elbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so glad to hear that your boy is better! It does sound very much the same to what we went through! Bloods normal, just inflammation. Did your vet have a diagnosis And, if it doesn't invade your sweet boy's privacy, what are the prednisolone and mirtazapine for?

Fegil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure quoting works on my phone? I tried yesterday without success:D
Elbee: is your cat ok now?

My vet had no clue of what caused it "sometimes it just happens".
The pred is for the inflammation and mirt for appetite. I only got one pill tho (and give 1/4 of it every 3rd day). I hope he stays ok, just 2 more days of pred and I'm a little nervous.

Elbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is pretty good I just have too much time to watch him and look for any sign of illness right now! Yes, sometimes it just happens. That is my vet's opinion too! We did the mirt too (I had forgotten the name) but no steroids as he seemed to get better. I just wondered if it might be a good idea but he seems about 85% now so that's good. I always forget that they need recovery time just like us!

Guess our boys just wanted to be part of the pandemic...:tabbycat:

Fegil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw your thread earlier today Elbee, and that you suspected a virus. That def crossed my mind too! Me and my partner both had the corona virus recently and I've read that pets can get it too.

But maybe that would have shown up on the blood test (infection?). Who knows?
Glad your boy is feeling much better. ❤