Elevated eosinophils and monocytes in 7 month kitten

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi everyone, 

I apologize for being MIA my grandfather passed on the 13th and I have been pretty broken up. With all that going on I had to get Ava spayed which I did today and she is currently sleeping beside me. 

When I went to pick her up the vet went over her pre-opertive bloodwork which showed she has elevated white bloodcells. The eosinophils and monocyte were the ones that were slightly high. The normal range for MONO is between 0.15 and 1.70 and her number is 1.85. The  EOS is supposed to be between 0.10 and 0.79 and her number was 1.00. I did some online research and they pretty much confirmed what the vet said that they could be elevated because of stress or she could have a parasite or maybe an allergy. The vet gave me a dewormer to give her and I asked about doing a test for Giardia and Coccidia but he didn't think we needed to do that. I am just wondering if anyone else has had issues with this before? Ava is very healthy and is already 8 pounds at 7 months. She usually does not have GI issues but did throw up and had a hairball last friday right before I had to leave for my grandfather's funeral but she has not thrown up since. 

I am planning to redo the bloodwork in 10 days and I guess will deworm her. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have no experience in deciphering lab work, but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss
Thank you very much it has been a pretty terrible month

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To update the dewormer I was given in called  Milbemax. I am just wondering how she would have worms since she was dewormed a few times and has normal stool? I am also wondering if I should push for the stool sample? She did have a stool test done as a kitten and it came back normal. 

I am also wondering since it wasn't very high if it is just a non-issue?  I emailed her breeder to see what she thinks. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
At Abby's annual in December some of her blood levels were off. The plan was to recheck in June, which we did. The same levels were off, plus she had an elevated white count. We decided to do a stool sample and were surprised when she tested positive for Giardia. She's been treated and retested and the sample came back clean.

I hope you can figure this out soon. :vibes:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At Abby's annual in December some of her blood levels were off. The plan was to recheck in June, which we did. The same levels were off, plus she had an elevated white count. We decided to do a stool sample and were surprised when she tested positive for Giardia. She's been treated and retested and the sample came back clean.

I hope you can figure this out soon.
Thanks so much for your response! I just heard back from her breeder and she told me Birmans always test on the high end. She also said that these two values can be high because of the fasting and stress. She recommend I wait to do another blood test because in 10 days she still will probably be stressed from the surgery and her hormone levels will be all over the place, so I am going to wait. She did tell me to give her the dewormer just to be safe. 

I am wondering about just doing the stool sample. Did Abby have any symptoms?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
No, no symptoms at all, which is why we were shocked, not to mention that she is an indoor only cat!