Elevated CO2 in blood test

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can anyone tell me, in practical terms, what a slightly elevated CO2 level in a blood test means? Is it likely to mean that I'm a lazy slob who manages to get only about 10 minutes of aerobic exercise a month, for example? (Unfortunately, that is probably true.)

I was just looking over my two previous blood tests and both showed the CO2 just above the normal range. It wasn't enough to get my doctor excited, obviously, as she never even mentioned it when we went over blood tests results. (She got a lot more excited about my cholesterol results, however.)

Anyway, I did a web search and didn't find much of practical significance. Most just said:

CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) - The CO2 level is related to the respiratory exchange of carbon dioxide in the lungs and is part of the bodies buffering system. Generally when used with the other electrolytes, it is a good indicator of acidosis and alkalinity.
Normal Adult Range: 22-32 mEq/L
Optimal Adult Reading: 27

mrsd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does the test result mean?
When CO2 levels are higher than normal, it suggests that your body is having trouble maintaining its pH balance by releasing excess carbon dioxide or that you have upset your electrolyte balance, perhaps by losing or retaining fluid. Both of these imbalances may be due to a wide range of dysfunctions. CO2 elevations may be seen with chronic lung-related problems, such as emphysema, and metabolic problems, such as severe diarrhea or prolonged vomiting (which can cause metabolic alkalosis – an excessive loss of body acidity).

Low CO2 levels may be seen with respiratory alkalosis (which can be caused by hyperventilation), metabolic acidosis, shock, starvation, and during kidney failure.
PLEASE NOTE: Numerically reported test results are interpreted according to the test's reference range, which may vary by the patient's age, sex, as well as the instrumentation or kit used to perform the test. A specific result within the reference (normal) range – for any test – does not ensure health just as a result outside the reference range may not indicate disease. To learn more about reference ranges, please see the article, Reference Ranges and What They Mean. To learn the reference range for your test, consult your doctor or laboratorian. Lab Tests Online recommends you consult your physician to discuss your test results as a part of a complete medical examination.
http://www.labtestsonline.org/unders.../co2/test.html

If you have concerns, speak to your doctor about it. Good luck on keeping your cholesterol down. No fries!

zanniesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you hold your breath when you get your blood drawn? If it is slightly elevated and everything else is normal it probably doesn't mean anything at all. Your body gets rid of CO2 by breathing. If it quite elevated and you are a smoker, that might be significant but if it just a little, try taking some deep breaths just before you get your blood drawn next time.
Becky

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, on my actual lab results sheet, it shows normal range should be 22-30 and mine was 33. This was from last time, in June. I had another blood draw today, but won't get the results until Friday or next week. I told them to just mail me the results unless there was something she needed to see me about, so I don't know yet whether I'll be going in again this month or not. I'll ask her about it if I do see her, but I'm not going to make an appointment just for that. She obviously didn't think it was anything to get too excited about, or she would have brought it up. I was just curious.

I'm on 10 mg. Lisinopril for blood pressure and currently 750 mg. sustained release Niacin for cholesterol. Do you happen to know if either of those would affect CO2 at all?

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I probably do hold my breath when the blood is drawn! And turn away. No way in the world could I ever be a nurse!

No, I've never smoked. And it was just slightly above range. Could be that it was just holding my breath.

zanniesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think those meds would affect it but you can ask your doc. 33 is not a significant amount. I imagine that you just held your breath. Becky

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info. And for the link, too, MrsD. That website looks pretty useful. I bookmarked it for future use.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'm pretty tired, and I've just read snippets of this thread... so far I've come to the conclusion that you're not breathing enough
Or rather, you're not breathing out enough. Good to know it's nothing too serious though - don't hold your breath long enough to go blue though eh beb - that's I think the only time that not breathing out can get serious.
be good!