Elderly Persian attack or lust?

DebLovesCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I have 2 elderly cats. Penny is 17 year old Birman and Thai is a 16 year old Persian. He tends to bully Penny when it comes to litter trays (3) and prime positions on the sofa (next to me) but generally they get along. But today I heard Thai make that weird noise when he is on top of something fluffy and kneading. I found him right on top of Penny squashing her tightly as if dominating her.

They are both desexed. Penny has kidney disease, is vision and hearing impaired but is holding her own. Thai has early kidney disease but acts like a kitten, zooming around the house and still getting up to mischief.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, it was NOT an attack. If it had been an attack, Penny would have been injured. Possibly badly. It may have been either a dominance issue, which they will have to work out themselves, or it is just possible that Thai had a random memory of having gonads. I've found that neutering males does not always stop mating behavior, it only stops kittens. Although starting at his age would be unusual. Anything going on in the neighborhood, causing noises, or unusual movement or smells that might have set him off?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DebLovesCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, thank you for your reply. I do remember Thai doing this to Penny when he was very young and vet said he might still have testosterone (?) after being desexed and he gave Thai an injection and the behaviour stopped. That was 15 years ago so a long time in between!

There could have been a bird or stray cat that has upset him. I had a tradesperson in the house yesterday. He does tend to bully Penny in response to any outside interference like a stray cat or a possum.

I have Feliway going. He responds to Rescue Remedy. I might try a some. For him. And Penny and me!

Thanks again for your advice. It is very appreciated 😀

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is just exactly what we are here for! And, yes, a tradesperson in the house could have set him off. Us old folks get set in our ways, whether we have two feet or four!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above, I would think he got stressed and is nervous, needing to dominate his world once again. Just scold him when he does this, letting him know you won't let him continue, maybe even separating them for a half-hour or so. Poor Penny shouldn't have to put up with this! I truly don't think it was an attack or lust, it was dominance, trying to bring order to his world once more. He needed to have control over something!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DebLovesCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm having plumbing issues so there will be more tradespeople in the house in the coming week. I'll pull out all my tricks to help Thai feel like the King Of The Castle 😀

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does he have a room that he likes to retreat to? Perhaps set him up in there when the tradesmen come, with food, water, and, of COURSE, his box!