Elderly lady with health issues - & flea treatment

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Long post (apparently, I can't do short ones :rolleyes2:). Feeby (17+ yo) has been battling fleas for much longer than I would like to admit. Let me start off by telling you what I have been doing so that is 'out of the way' regarding suggestions. We have repeatedly used Advantage II, consistently flea comb her, regularly spray the carpet and all entryway rugs (as well as the screened in patio and yard outside the patio), routinely vacuum, hot water wash/dry all bedding/linens/etc, and place non-washable items in the dryer at the hottest setting for 60-90 minutes. All this and we have only kept the fleas to a minimum, so I thought I should try another flea treatment because this has just gone on far too long.

So, I tried Frontline Plus. That stuff - at least here in central FL - is less effective than Advantage II. She has much more flea activity now than she did before. Since I applied it to her, she has now resorted to staying almost 24/7 in one bedroom, moving from spot to spot in that room, and less interested in eating. This is pretty similar to what she did back when she first 'acquired' fleas - before we realized what was happening.

I do think something else is going on with her, she is hyperthyroidic, has Stage 2 CKD, and arthritis - all of which we are trying to treat - but I still think the flea situation is attributing to her behavior somehow. Because she had some enlarged lymph nodes in her intestinal area identified last December via an ultrasound/FNA cytology (no cancer cells found then), we are going to put her through another (her third) ultrasound in about a week from now, just to try to determine if there are any new developments.

I am a week away from a flea treatment being due. Given all of her issues, I am less than enthusiastic to give her the flea treatments being recommended by the vets - Revolution Plus or Bravecto. For those of you who are not aware, both of these treatments contain a product that has been known to be tied to seizures/neurological issues in cats, albeit few instances 'on record'. Both enter the bloodstream, whereas Adv or Frontline Plus do not. I found another product called Vectra which contains a different primary flea pesticide compared to the previous two and does not seem to enter the bloodstream either. ALL flea treatments caution use with elderly and/or debilitated cats.

What would you do if this was your cat? Go back to Adv, try Frontline Plus again, try Vectra, or try Revolution Plus or Bravecto?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Stupid question, but how does she get fleas? I can't be much help since I don't use it. I live in front of a dog park and my cats have never gotten fleas. I don't give them flea treatment. I remember reading about something homemade to catch fleas outside. Good luck! Hope she feels better and you!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Advantage II didn’t work on my cats but advantage multi did. It’s a prescription from the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Advantage II didn’t work on my cats but advantage multi did. It’s a prescription from the vet.
Advantage Multi is prescription because it contains Moxidectin, which is for additional parasites, not specifically for fleas, but for Hookworms, Roundworms, Ear Mites, & Heartworm. She doesn't need all that 'extra stuff' - but glad it is working for you to get rid of fleas too! It also goes into the bloodstream, by very virtue of what it treats, in case you didn't know.

Last edited:

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Advantage Multi is prescription because it contains Moxidectin, which is for additional parasites, not specifically for fleas, but for Hookworms, Roundworms, Ear Mites, & Heartworm. She doesn't need all that 'extra stuff' - but glad it is working for you to get rid of fleas too!
At this point you don’t even want to try it? Also if you see active fleas you can give treatment every 2 weeks

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long has she had the fleas? My 12 cats had fleas beginning late last summer, it was a nightmare to say the least. They never go outside so I think my husband and I had brought them in on our clothes from working outside in the yard. I used Advantage II for at least 5 months. I vacuumed everyday, alternating between upstairs and down. Washed their beds in hot water and after most of the blankets were washed I packed them away in a plastic storage container, wanted the least amount of blankets, beds hanging around. I also used flea spray in every room. I also combed each cat every day, that seemed to help the best.
if both Revolution Plus and Bravecto could cause seizures etc in cats I would strictly stay away from them especially because your cat has other issues and is older.
It seems like you’re doing everything right…my prayers that you can finally get rid of the fleas and the third ultrasound doesn’t show any new issues. 🙏🏻

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yup, I forgot to mention in the beginning I gave the flea treatment 2-3 weeks apart. Advantage II

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At this point you don’t even want to try it? Also if you see active fleas you can give treatment every 2 weeks
Unlike Advantage II, Advantage Multi is not effective against flea eggs and larvae, only adult fleas - which is why I am surprised it works so well for you with fleas! Moxidectin maintains its effective concentrations in the body for about 30 days. On that note alone, I would not want to use it more frequently than once a month, unlike the Advantage II which can be used more often when there is a severe infestation. The Moxidectin is the difference in how often it can be used. See link for more information.
Advantage Multi For Cats: Dosage, Safety & Side Effects - All About Cats

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long has she had the fleas?
Over two years, probably closer to 3 at this point. I went from treating her with Adv II once a month to twice a month, to three times a month and not one bit of a change. I went back to once a month after a while, because I couldn't keep giving her it more often over and over again. All this time I have done all the 'cleaning' I noted above. :sigh:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Over two years, probably closer to 3 at this point. I went from treating her with Adv II once a month to twice a month, to three times a month and not one bit of a change. I went back to once a month after a while, because I couldn't keep giving her it more often over and over again. All this time I have done all the 'cleaning' I noted above. :sigh:
Have you flea bombed your house to get rid of flea larvae in things like carpet fibers? Wish I could help more:)

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
What would you do if this was your cat? Go back to Adv, try Frontline Plus again, try Vectra, or try Revolution Plus or Bravecto?
Wow, I'm just going to answer from my own common sense. I don't think your cat has fleas I think your house is so severely infested that it's impossible to get it under control.
I also am thinking since you have been giving her Advantage II for so long they are resistant to it and if her immune system is compromised she may be more susceptible to fleas.

I would NOT try Frontline Plus again (that quit working for me a long time ago) nor would I use Bravecto because I'm not keen on the oral meds for flea control. If I were going to try anything it would be Revolution you don't need the Plus because that is for much more than the fleas. I would also look into having your house professionally treated. That is what I would do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Along with the thoughts already posted for you, I have found Only Natural Pet's flea and tick products to be quite effective.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, I'm just going to answer from my own common sense. I don't think your cat has fleas I think your house is so severely infested that it's impossible to get it under control...I would NOT try Frontline Plus again (that quit working for me a long time ago) nor would I use Bravecto because I'm not keen on the oral meds for flea control....If I were going to try anything it would be Revolution you don't need the Plus because that is for much more than the fleas. I would also look into having your house professionally treated. That is what I would do.
Thanks. If the house were as severely infested as you suggest, then my husband would be 'bitten to death', as he was initially. He is not getting any flea bites whatsoever.

I thought about Revolution (vs. Plus) but it does not contain an IGR to help with killing off flea eggs/larvae. So, while it does kill adult fleas, any eggs that are laid are not affected. And, the 'regular' Revolution actually is also for Hookworms, Roundworms, Ear Mites, and Heartworm Larvae - so, it goes into the bloodstream, and still doesn't have the IGR that the Plus version has. Btw, Bravecto may come in an oral version, but there is also a topical, which also enters the bloodstream as well. Nonetheless, anything that treats more than just fleas/ticks, usually involves the bloodstream, or it wouldn't be effective on other parasites.

Last edited:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. If the house were as severely infested as you suggest, then my husband would be 'bitten to death', as he was initially. He is not getting any flea bites whatsoever.

I thought about Revolution (vs. Plus) but it does not contain an IGR to help with killing off flea eggs/larvae. So, while it does kill adult fleas, any eggs that are laid are not affected. And, the 'regular' Revolution actually is also for Hookworms, Roundworms, Ear Mites, and Heartworm Larvae - so, it goes into the bloodstream, and still doesn't have the IGR that the Plus version has. Btw, Bravecto may come in an oral version, but there is also a topical, which also enters the bloodstream as well. Nonetheless, anything that treats more than just fleas/ticks, usually involves the bloodstream, or it wouldn't be effective on other parasites.
Maybe your husband doesn't taste as good as he used too :dunno:
Well, then I would go with the Revolution Plus and you must have some infestation to have this going on for 3 years and you have to break the cycle.

So, what are you going to do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe your husband doesn't taste as good as he used too :dunno:
Well, then I would go with the Revolution Plus and you must have some infestation to have this going on for 3 years and you have to break the cycle. So, what are you going to do?
Too bad Feeby still tastes as good as she used to! I suspect we are continually bringing them in from outside, as well as them coming onto the screened in patio. We do have stray cats and tons of squirrels in the neighborhood, both obviously carry fleas. And despite the numerous amounts of birds and lizards - who do eat fleas - that we have in our backyard, we apparently do not have enough to take care of the fleas.

I have not yet decided what to do. I have a week to decide before she is due to another treatment, and I am not going to overlap treatments.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I remember when you first mentioned Feeby having fleas. Can't believe you're still struggling to control them. Sounds like a nightmare for you all.

I'm sure you've done tons of Googling, but here's something that sounded interesting.

Spread cedar chips on the areas where your pet likes to lie down, under the bushes, and on flower beds. Fleas hate the smell! Sulphur (powder or liquid) is also known to repel fleas and prevent hatching.
How to Get Rid of Fleas in Your House, in Your Yard, and More

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad Feeby still tastes as good as she used to! I suspect we are continually bringing them in from outside, as well as them coming onto the screened in patio. We do have stray cats and tons of squirrels in the neighborhood, both obviously carry fleas. And despite the numerous amounts of birds and lizards - who do eat fleas - that we have in our backyard, we apparently do not have enough to take care of the fleas.

I have not yet decided what to do. I have a week to decide before she is due to another treatment, and I am not going to overlap treatments.
I would imagine living in FL it would be a nightmare, at least we have cold winters and get a break. Makes sense that you are likely carrying them in.