Elderly father moving…Feral cats help!

Sherrybaby77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my elderly father has been feeding the stray cats in his neighborhood for years! I live in a different state and I have gotten all the feral cats fixed and veted and put back outside at my dads house. The friendlier ones I brought to a local rescue as to be adopted to a indoor home. He currently feeds 14 adult cats that have been TNR.
My issue is my father is moving to a different state and I am trying to figure out how to make sure they will continue to be taken care of. I have checked with neighbors, people in the area and no one else feeds cats or will take on the job to do so. I know more then likely the person who will buy the house will not want the cats there and don’t trust what they could possible do….and I will not just leave the cats behind.
I have called many “ sanctuaries” that take feral cats, I am willing to pay for each of them to be taken care of at these outdoor cat sanctuaries but some are overfilled and others don’t look like they really take care of them. I’m not looking to just get rid of them I want to make sure they will be in a safe place.
As for me, I don’t have a backyard, if I did I would take them and get them acclimated. I have researched “farm cats” and even the process of how to get feral cats comfortable in a new environment.
I know he should of never started to feed the cats to begin with.
I know moving them should be the last resort.
I know I will NOT leave them behind.
What I don’t know is where to get help. I have reached out to Alleycats.org and many other organizations all leading to dead ends!
Please, can anyone give advice on what to do? There are so many organizations out there that help feral cats, and not one can help me.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my elderly father has been feeding the stray cats in his neighborhood for years! I live in a different state and I have gotten all the feral cats fixed and veted and put back outside at my dads house. The friendlier ones I brought to a local rescue as to be adopted to a indoor home. He currently feeds 14 adult cats that have been TNR.
My issue is my father is moving to a different state and I am trying to figure out how to make sure they will continue to be taken care of. I have checked with neighbors, people in the area and no one else feeds cats or will take on the job to do so. I know more then likely the person who will buy the house will not want the cats there and don’t trust what they could possible do….and I will not just leave the cats behind.
I have called many “ sanctuaries” that take feral cats, I am willing to pay for each of them to be taken care of at these outdoor cat sanctuaries but some are overfilled and others don’t look like they really take care of them. I’m not looking to just get rid of them I want to make sure they will be in a safe place.
As for me, I don’t have a backyard, if I did I would take them and get them acclimated. I have researched “farm cats” and even the process of how to get feral cats comfortable in a new environment.
What I don’t know is where to get help. I have reached out to Alleycats.org and many other organizations all leading to dead ends!
Please, can anyone give advice on what to do? There are so many organizations out there that help feral cats, and not one can help me.
It's hard too suggest ideas largely as we on TCS Don't know where the Cats are located.

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
How much time do you have to figure this out?

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, I can totally relate to your situation! About ten years ago, we moved my mother, with very short notice, to an assisted living place in another state near my sister. One of my mother's greatest joys for many years was feeding three feral cats, and we knew there was no way we could abandon them. Not only was there no one in her condo complex willing to take on the job, the management had sent my mother several letters asking her to stop feeding the cats... letters that she completely ignored!

I spent a month living in my mom's vacant condo and eventually found a sanctuary an hours drive away willing to take the cats for a large fee. My mom had befriended a cat rescue woman and she loaned me traps and provided moral support. I arranged with a local vet to take the cats for their shots and make sure they were in decent health. One cat needed dental work for an infected tooth. The sanctuary looked beautiful and seemed well-supported by staff and volunteers. I later learned from my cat rescue contact that the owner was taking in too many cats and they were getting overcrowded. One of my mom's cats was able to climb over the cat-proof netting and escaped as soon as we let her out of the carrier. Luckily, I learned there were volunteers in the surrounding neighborhood who also fed the cats so I believe this cat found help. We did the best we could at the time and I don't tell you this story to discourage you from looking for a sanctuary! I know there are good sanctuaries out there but you need to choose carefully. Visit, ask lots of questions, talk with the volunteers or members, read reviews.

While my mom only had three cats for us to worry about, it was still a very hard, very stressful situation. It isn't easy, but I think you will find a solution with enough time and effort and lots of phone calls. If you can evaluate each cat separately, you might find that some could be adoptable. You could then contact no-kill rescue organizations or see if friends or family would want to adopt one... or two. Maybe some cats would be suitable for barn cat programs. When you Google for Long Island feral cat sanctuaries, there are some options, but hopefully you can extend your search much further. If you find one that seems perfect but is too far away (The Cat House on the Kings in California gets lots of good press) call them for advice, ask if they can recommend one that is closer. Maybe there is a network!

Your dad was so kind to feed these cats for so many years. It was also kind of you to help him out by getting the cats fixed and now, by searching for safe and happy homes for them. Thank you for caring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sherrybaby77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh boy, I can totally relate to your situation! About ten years ago, we moved my mother, with very short notice, to an assisted living place in another state near my sister. One of my mother's greatest joys for many years was feeding three feral cats, and we knew there was no way we could abandon them. Not only was there no one in her condo complex willing to take on the job, the management had sent my mother several letters asking her to stop feeding the cats... letters that she completely ignored!

I spent a month living in my mom's vacant condo and eventually found a sanctuary an hours drive away willing to take the cats for a large fee. My mom had befriended a cat rescue woman and she loaned me traps and provided moral support. I arranged with a local vet to take the cats for their shots and make sure they were in decent health. One cat needed dental work for an infected tooth. The sanctuary looked beautiful and seemed well-supported by staff and volunteers. I later learned from my cat rescue contact that the owner was taking in too many cats and they were getting overcrowded. One of my mom's cats was able to climb over the cat-proof netting and escaped as soon as we let her out of the carrier. Luckily, I learned there were volunteers in the surrounding neighborhood who also fed the cats so I believe this cat found help. We did the best we could at the time and I don't tell you this story to discourage you from looking for a sanctuary! I know there are good sanctuaries out there but you need to choose carefully. Visit, ask lots of questions, talk with the volunteers or members, read reviews.

While my mom only had three cats for us to worry about, it was still a very hard, very stressful situation. It isn't easy, but I think you will find a solution with enough time and effort and lots of phone calls. If you can evaluate each cat separately, you might find that some could be adoptable. You could then contact no-kill rescue organizations or see if friends or family would want to adopt one... or two. Maybe some cats would be suitable for barn cat programs. When you Google for Long Island feral cat sanctuaries, there are some options, but hopefully you can extend your search much further. If you find one that seems perfect but is too far away (The Cat House on the Kings in California gets lots of good press) call them for advice, ask if they can recommend one that is closer. Maybe there is a network!

Your dad was so kind to feed these cats for so many years. It was also kind of you to help him out by getting the cats fixed and now, by searching for safe and happy homes for them. Thank you for caring.
Thank you so much for your kind words and giving me some hope! My dad lives by himself in a house that i was raised in…he needs to down size. But living by himself for so many years, feeding the cats gave him something to look forward too, especially during Covid when he was truly by himself. Your mom sounds like she has a kind heart as well…love the fact she didn’t listen to the people who told her to stop feeding them!!
There was one place that would take the cats that I was willing to pay for each cat…but through talking to others and looking up reviews, the cats basically had to fend for themselves on a big property and the property was not fenced off…so many wild animals could get in and hurt/kill the cats. So we passed on that. There is a place out on Long Island that takes feral cats and he takes such good care of the cats he is too overwhelmed to take anymore in.
I totally understand that many places are at capacity and I respect that they have to put a limit or they become overwhelmed and can’t take care of those cats properly.
I know the place your talking about in California…their intake fee I believe is $5,000 per cat, with 14 I could just buy the cats their own home if I could.
Thank you for your response. Makes me feel better that I’m not alone in this. Just hoping to find a safe place for them.

Sherrybaby77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We keep pushing off putting his house for sale till we can get the cats figured out…I would say 6-8 months.
Thank you for responding. I am willing to pay for each cat as well as transport them to where they need to go safely. I have pictures of each cat and I would be able to get them to get rechecked out by the vet as I know that is something that is a must if they have to go to a sanctuary.

KaylaMia&MickeytheKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh dear, I completely understand your heartbreak and frustration. I wish I knew of something to offer. The only thing I can think of is to recommend cutting back food portions slowly to encourage them to hunt for other food sources in a way that allows them to adapt more comfortably than straight cold turkey. :(((.... This will hopefully at least incentivize them to start searching on their own without going completely hungry right away when he leaves. We will keep all of you in our prayers!! Maybe start alternating the food and water days also. So they learn they can no longer rely on it 100%. I know it's not a fun answer, but in a "worse case scenario" it is more like a mother bird pushing a youngster out of the nest- to help them learn to fly (rather than taking the whole nest away in one swoop.) Bless his heart for all his loving kindness over the years! Hopefully he can manifest another Cat Lover to move in!

KaylaMia&MickeytheKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh dear, I completely understand your heartbreak and frustration. I wish I knew of something to offer. The only thing I can think of is to recommend cutting back food portions slowly to encourage them to hunt for other food sources in a way that allows them to adapt more comfortably than straight cold turkey. :(((.... This will hopefully at least incentivize them to start searching on their own without going completely hungry right away when he leaves. We will keep all of you in our prayers!! Maybe start alternating the food and water days also. So they learn they can no longer rely on it 100%. I know it's not a fun answer, but in a "worse case scenario" it is more like a mother bird pushing a youngster out of the nest- to help them learn to fly (rather than taking the whole nest away in one swoop.) Bless his heart for all his loving kindness over the years! Hopefully he can manifest another Cat Lover to move in!
Also, I know it may sound strange to some- but perhaps before he starts adjusting the food/water routine- ask him to talk to them, and explain what is going on. When communication comes from the heart- it transcends all languages. 🥰💝 Still not an exciting answer. But, I would hate for him to leave without telling them what's happening and giving them a chance to acclimate before he goes. 🙏💝

Sherrybaby77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would love nothing more then to have a cat lover buy the house…that would be a true miracle! In terms of slowly stop feeding them…that’s all they know, and in my heart and in my fathers heart he couldn’t stop feeding them. Most were born there. I understand what your saying.

Sherrybaby77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are some of the ferals.
Some of these are older pictures…all of these cats were fixed…they all have their left ear notch as of present day.
A9010E8A-BABF-43DA-81A5-6F3A47FAAE58.jpeg
C7CCCE98-73D5-4549-9F86-F5E246B78EA4.jpeg
8CC2F3D5-0935-4F04-8749-CAD2BE7DEF65.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Would love nothing more then to have a cat lover buy the house…that would be a true miracle! In terms of slowly stop feeding them…that’s all they know, and in my heart and in my fathers heart he couldn’t stop feeding them. Most were born there. I understand what your saying.
Actually, that’s ideal! Surely there are enough cat lovers out there in need of a home? Why not advertise it as such? “House comes with a colony and owner must be proved to be worthy of protecting them.” You could have it written in to the sales agreement.:salam:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, that’s ideal! Surely there are enough cat lovers out there in need of a home? Why not advertise it as such? “House comes with a colony and owner must be proved to be worthy of protecting them.” You could have it written in to the sales agreement.:salam:
Personally I think forcing a perspective Owner into such a sales agreement Is ridiculous . I think that would limit your chances of selling the property .

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Well…it was a utopian solution. I’m not even sure it’s legal. Still, maybe you could get a feel for them…

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, recently I saw a piece about a couple who bought a house, with ferals and they agreed to take in feeding them. The story evolved into a love story. Not only did they feed them, they began to try and get to know the cats, then started socialing them and built them their own shelter. The couple has taken it further. They have plans to continue to improve conditions for the kitties and bring them further into their home and lives. The cats are so very happy now! Limit the sales to sell the house with a ? Isn’t it going to be worth taking a chance to save lives? With the real estate market being so hot right now, it could work. I happen to be very in touch with the market for several reasons and starting that now might be a good idea. Talk to the local rescue groups and see if anyone is moving! See if they are hoping to move family or friends near them there. Try taking that approach and it might work. Try the vets near there too. Houses have been selling like hit cakes lately and Sting is the time to list. Contracts? Talk to a Real Estate lawyer and see what can be put into the sales agreement. I know it seems overwhelming and maybe impossible but nothing is impossible. How do o know? Because I know an older woman who took on rescuing, vetting, socializing and adopting out over a hundred ferals. She thought it was probably impossible but it happened! All on a limited budget too! She just kept talking to every cat lover, every cat group, every vet and nearly every person she dealt with until things started to fall into place. If selling the house with cats does not work, could you be there long enough to work to socialize them? Many have a good chance at being socialized. Adoptions are more possible if that could be done. No back yard yourself but have you considered a catio? I have two inside my house and one attached to the window in my back room. Do try talking to all the local vets there. They can be a great resource for connecting to individuals and rescuers. Just keep talking to people everywhere! Networking through texts, phone, emails and social media is what helps most. There are some good rescue groups on Facebook as well as cat lovers who may know of some other links for you. Tell the story of your Dad, the cats, the house and your dedication to helping save these lives. Connect with one right person and and things start to happen. Don’t give up. You and your Dad are kitty heros! Keep paying updates here too. Spreading the word now and continuing to do so as often as possible will draw attention. :hugs::clap2::goldstar::vibes::redheartpump:
The photo of the kitty looking in the door is a great one! Post that in as many places as possible. It is a heart winner! Cute and happy photos help. Get people to fall in love and a cat will find a home.;)

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Idea, maybe long shot but…… when we were looking to buy our second house every single house came with the at least 2 or 3+ cats.
‘our realtor would along with the property basics let us know how many cats was there. People moved cats stayed. Long story short, we ended up with 5 cats and at least 7 chicken. When we are not there other neighbors feed them. I have to say that this is Key West ,fl. and people are laid back and this is not exception but the norm. Maybe, you never know with making them (cats) less dependent on food, maybe you could talk next owners into ‘light feeding of cute kitties’

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat came with my house, and the seller tried to write her into the contract, but the realtor said that it's not legal to write cats into contracts. So you could try to find a friendly buyer but they will not be legally obligated to care for the cats and can do whatever they want once they take possession. So it's risky.

Contact all the cat rescues in the area and ask for ideas. Don't ask them to take the cats---just for ideas and/or recommendations. They may know of a farm cat program nearby.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, how is this going? Just checking in.