Elderly cat with enlarged heart

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know which number would be the Creatinine. The only high number in December was the bun and that is back to normal now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress can cause kidney levels to be off. Stress like being at a vets. Your precious one is 16 years old, equal to like a 90 year old. i had a ten year old cat with the exact same symptoms and heart enlargement diagnosis and he lived to 16. A cat right now that had 'days' to live diagnosed with leukemia and he is still with me 3.5 years later. Just love her as long as, and as much as you can, and know you did your best.......

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was still sleepy today like last week. Vet called me and I told him. He suggested not giving her insulin anymore and see what happens and then retest it later on. I agreed. Also told him she now acts like she is starving again and wants to eat all the time. She used to do that to where she would eat anything and stuff she shouldn't be eating. I caught her trying to eat a thread on one of their blankets this morning. I try to make sure I inspect them for that problem. He didn't know what was causing that. Her sugar and thyroid levels are good and she had her thyroid checked 3 weeks ago. He's stumped and so am I. My cat with seizures is meowing more and I don't have a clue why. It's like a baby that just cries for no reason and no matter what you do it won't stop. Plus she has an attitude. She doesn't want food and I've even tried giving her treats but she doesn't want them. I'm at my wit's end. I find myself thinking about putting all 3 down and I don't want to, and I never ever would do it, but I just can't take any more of this. I feel evil for having those thoughts too. I have plugins to keep them calm even. The only cat that doesn't meow at me is their mother.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What dosage of thyroid meds is the 'sleepy' cat on? If too high, that can cause lethargy.

Could the cat with seizures that is meowing more be having seizures during some of those sessions?

Have either one of them had their blood pressure checked? It can cause lethargy, lack of appetite, and even excess meowing - but since every cat is different, you can't assume the symptoms will be the same for each cat.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The thyroid is 1/2 pill in morning and 1/2 at night. Her thyroid level is good now after they upped it from 1/4 in morning and half at night because her level was going up. She was doing good until last week and I thought for sure she had another infection, but blood work and pee test said no. They also checked her blood pressure Thursday and it was good.
The cat meowing isn't having seizures during that time. That meow is a loud moaning meow call and she will stand still and do it. They did change her medicine from a pill to liquid and that's all I can think of that would cause this. I did send an email to the neurologist for help. She has had her blood pressure checked many times because she is on high blood pressure medicine. I feel like I'm a hypochondriac every time I call the vets office. Are they sick...are they not sick...but the expense of this all is getting to be too much.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good about the blood pressure! Thyroid meds come in different doses, so 1/2 of a pill twice a day is not indicative of what the actual dose is. Most times that would be probably 2.5 mg each time, which can be too much. Although, hyperthyroid progression can vary by cat, after over two years, Feeby is still only receiving 1.875 mg twice a day. We did increase hers so that she received 0.625mg extra once a day, and the thyroid level decreased too much for her situation, even though it was technically in range. Do you check her thyroid level when it is run, or just take the vet's verbal word that it is good?

Check to see if the dose was changed when the vet went from a pill to liquid for your cat with seizures. Perhaps, aside from dosage, there is difference between the two meds and the new one is having some negative side effects.

I could care less if my vet would think I am a hypochondriac when I call or follow up on something. I am the ultimate person responsible for my cat's care, and the vets are there to help me with that endeavor. Most vets should appreciate an attentive caretaker - I know my vet does. It's gotten to the point that once a week I am talking to Feeby's vet, and/or at least once a month that Feeby is in their office for one thing or another.

Your stress can also affect your cats, and you sound a bit exhausted and frustrated - which I totally understand. Every day, I feel I am presented with a new - or repeated - challenge with Feeby, and I have to be careful not to let my emotions spill out onto her. I am not always successful to be sure, but I continue to try.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her thyroid pill is 5 mgs. Two years ago she did get so sleepy I took her as an emergency and found out her thyroid levels had dropped to much which has also happened with her sugar levels. She was off the thyroid medicine for some time and then had to go back on it. That is why for now start with no more insulin and see how that goes. I take the vets word because it is the doctor who has always done right from the start and in the past he has shown me the blood results and even xrays too. There is only one vet I will not trust again and will always want to see tests result but actually I won't ever take them if she is the only one on call. Unless they are deathly sick because it is always a waste of money. Nothing is never solved and I end up taking them to the vet hospital.

The dosage for the seizure medicine didn't change with the liquid. It wasn't supposed to unless they made a mistake on the amount that was written on the bottle to give her, but I am putting her back on the pill form starting tonight. And I am calling at 8:00 am tomorrow to see if I can get her in to be seen. Have to take her Friday for blood work anyways and then I don't have to worry about it anymore.

The vet has told me more than once I know all about my cats (I had 6 at one point) and he was glad I knew them the way I do because most of the time when I call saying they are sick they are sick so he knows I am not calling for just any old reason but there is one girl when I call I get attitude from her 97% of the time. I hate when I get her, and I get attitude at the office as well. It's like "oh no not you again". Sometimes I will call to see how much it will come to ahead of time and that is because I'm running on empty pockets now.

You are right on the stressed part, and it isn't just all from my cats. Family things are going on as well. I try to be stay calm but kind of hard to do that.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cat who is now off of insulin has not changed in her energy level so it might be her thyroid medicine needs to be lowered but will give it some more time.
I did take the cat with seizures to the vet today and saw one of the floater vets. It never goes well when I see a floater. This will be the 3rd time I have seen them and the last. Not sure if it's me, I'm vet jinxed or what. The first thing they said when they walked into the room and did nothing to her yet was her phenobarbital level was way too high and that was making her meow and they wanted to lower it and up the Keppra. I started to panic. I just had that sudden panicked feeling of her having seizures again. I told them no. I do not want her to start having seizures again and it's only been just about 3 weeks since her last one and the increase in medicine. Also told them the Neurologist will be the only one adjusting that medicine. They didn't like that comment. They couldn't find anything wrong with her so they said complete blood work up should be done because she might have pancreatic cancer! She had full blood work up in October and Spring of last year and all was fine then. She has gained weight and almost weighs 9 lbs now. I told her no. (For one the phenobarbital level blood work is $259 and complete blood work is almost that amount and I don't have money anymore) If she had cancer, she would not have gained weight. I had two cats die from cancer and they did not gain weight. My cat also has where she does a weird stomach move while laying down. They said the medicine can cause stomach upset and wanted to change her dry food. Told them no. The regular vet just changed her dry food last year to Hills Science for elderly cats and I just got her completely switched over. So, that was the visit today. I talked with the Neurologist tonight and she was not happy with lowering her dose. Her meowing could be from her feeling weird with the medicine increase and she said she does need complete blood work up done every 6 months, so it isn't needed until 3 months from now unless she seems sick. Was she throwing up, pooping a lot or turning yellow? Signs of Pancreatic cancer and I told her no so she said she was fine. She wasn't sure about the weird stomach moving but I will try to send a video to her. Will see what her levels are and if they are good leave her right where she is. IF by chance she starts having seizures again then she will increase the keppra. It sure makes a difference on what doctor you get. Last December I was told my cat with the thyroid problem was in early stages of Kidney failure when she wasn't and I was also told last spring the cat with seizures (who didn't have them yet) had a brain tumor and just give her fish oil. At least I know now.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took the cat with the heart problem ect back to the vet today to recheck her sugar since she hasn't had insulin since last Thursday morning. Her sugar level is 253 and the vet is ok with it. I don't understand the levels anymore. Last week it was in the 70's and he was fine with that. Today 253 which is on the lower high side of the chart (He gave me a copy) and no insulin. Her mother's sugar was 300 and she is getting 1 unit once a day. With. her they don't dare to do it twice a day because her sugar will suddenly drop. I googled and it said good sugar level is between 80-120. Will take her back in 3 weeks and recheck

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are variations in sugar levels in terms of how recent food has or has not been given. The chart your vet shared with you might be the range for the lab being used to test the sugar level. Not all labs are the same, so what you saw as a generic range during your google search may or may not apply. I think you need to ask the vet why 70ish one week is OK and the next week 253 is OK.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I asked someone I know who is a vet tech and they told me because her last reading was in the 70's and now 253 if she has insulin again it could drop down to 70's again. It goes by the lowest reading. My other cats lowest reading was 300. Wish they had just explained that to me instead of replying "it's good".