Elderly cat sits facing the wall

nemosmatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My cat is a very old (about 18 years) Persian. More and more recently, she'll sit with her face very close to the wall and ignore what's going on for long periods. She does still seem to be able to hear and see and does respond when she wants to.

Does this behaviour indicate anything to anyone? She was never exactly sociable and this hasn't changed!

Many thanks,

Matt.

mindy10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It  could be a sign of dementia. is she doing anything else funny?  I know my dog had dementia and he would do that to.   I would talk to your vet and see what she thinks.  Mindy

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This certainly isn't a definite answer, but I was puzzled by this behavior by a cat we met at a shelter.  She was friendly and wanted affection but then would go sit facing the wall after a bit.  We adopted her and found out she had a painful mouth condition.  Anyways, it could have been the pain that caused the puzzling facing the wall behavior.  That doesn't mean that is the case with your cat, of course, but I would think a thorough check up at the vet would be in order.  Good luck.

jadeleaf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know is a very old topic (hope I won’t be flamed for bringing it back), but recently this topic is relevant to me and t seemed less messy to bring it back than start a new one.

I’m having my cat Sabbath suddenly (over the last few months anyway) sitting facing the wall.

He lays on the pillow at my left on the free side of the bed (it’s HIS pillow now) and as the double bed is against the wall, he’ll face the wall. He’s only been doing this for a few months, he’s only been sleeping on that spot for about five months though.

As the wall is right next to a window, I had to wonder if he’s cat napping and getting a bit of fresh air from the vents at the top of the window blowing down and through the side of the curtain (which is to his right), or if this is just simply a comfort thing. When he finally goes to sleep, he turns back towards me again.

One thing strikes me also is that when he lays facing the wall, he’s got his back to me and I’ve heard that could “mean something”. I’ve heard and read numerous things about cats that turn their back to you, that it can mean resentment (angry that you’ve done something to offend them, like lavish attention on another pet or family member), that they’re tired of you and trying to indicate they want you to leave them alone, and one person’s article reckoned that a cat that turns it’s back fully on you is indicating a sign of extreme trust of both you and the room because they are not paying attention to what you are doing or anything that could hypothetically attack them lol (in other words “I feel perfectly safe here, I can turn my back on you because I know you’re not going to hurt me or bug me”, lol.

It’s about the only place Sabbath ever turns his back to me anyway, but then maybe that’s because it’s HIS spot (directly to my left, he’s always at my left side wherever I go, don’t know why he favours the left), and it’s the only spot in the house my other cat Felix NEVER goes to, so whether or not Sab feels safe in this spot because Felix has never ventured there, not sure. Either that or Sab is facing the wall because he’s hacked off that I have Felix in my lap lol.

Anyone else got insight on this one???

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bumping this 5yo thread in case someone else needs to stumble on it!!

Lucy is 19 and does this. For while, she did not, but in hindsight after finding this thread, I realize it is her mouth. She has been on an antibiotic and a pain med, but we took her off due to some other issues and she is back to doing it. We restarted a different antibiotic and will restart the pain med tomorrow.