Elderly cat rapid weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just want to say please get her there and keep her as calm and comfortable as you can. This is too sad to hear this. May she not be in pain or distress much longer if she can't get better. I will pray for her and you too. Please hug and hold her as much as you can. These are the hardest of times for all of us here too. WE all are so sad and upset for both of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. She is laying in the tub in what seems to be a peaceful manner. Doesn’t really acknowledge me being here. She’s just spent.

Not sure if I should spend the night with her in the dark or just leave her in peace.

We spoke about it as a family and are going to call the local vet first thing. They are 10 min away and are hoping they will get us in.

Strange to want something you love so much to die.

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Waiting another hour or so before I call the on call vet to try to fit her in. Very bitter sweet and a tough call to make.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always cry like a baby when I read threads like this. :sniffle:

Please spend as much time with her as you can. If you opt for euthanizing, please stay with her through the entire process. Make sure she can see your face and pet and talk to her during her last minutes.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. She is laying in the tub in what seems to be a peaceful manner. Doesn’t really acknowledge me being here. She’s just spent.

Not sure if I should spend the night with her in the dark or just leave her in peace.

We spoke about it as a family and are going to call the local vet first thing. They are 10 min away and are hoping they will get us in.

Strange to want something you love so much to die.
Please please stay with her. Even if she does not acknowledge you (as it were) she will still know you are there. Hold her if you can.

I had a boy who we left too long to make the decision - on his last morning he was too weak to stand up / could not move after toileting in his bed. He had gone downhill literally overnight after having had a really good weekend..

I rang the vet but they couldn't see him or come out till late afternoon. I bathed him, dried him and held him on my lap for hours wrapped in a warm towel, just cuddling him and gently stroking his poor little body. I firmly believe that, even though he was dying, he absolutely knew he was held, and safe and loved.

My heart breaks for you and your poor girl at this time 😢💔💔

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the emergency vet today at 830 and by 9am she was there and her suffering was over. The cancer can’t hurt her anymore.

It hurts that she is not here and I think I see her around every corner, but but it hurt more to see her suffer.

Will post more later. I stayed up all night caring for her. Time for a nap.

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a boy who we left too long to make the decision - on his last morning he was too weak to stand up / could not move after toileting in his bed. He had gone downhill literally overnight after having had a really good weekend..
This is us. She is was doing relatively ok ( eating a lot , more socializing) but in a span of 24 hours she basically lost the ability to even stand up and was peeing on herself in the tub. She also stopped eating entirely.

In hindsight we waited too long. That is my only real regret.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I called the emergency vet today at 830 and by 9am she was there and her suffering was over. The cancer can’t hurt her anymore.

It hurts that she is not here and I think I see her around every corner, but but it hurt more to see her suffer.

Will post more later. I stayed up all night caring for her. Time for a nap.
This is us. She is was doing relatively ok ( eating a lot , more socializing) but in a span of 24 hours she basically lost the ability to even stand up and was peeing on herself in the tub. She also stopped eating entirely.

In hindsight we waited too long. That is my only real regret.
I'm so sorry to read this. It's easy with hindsight but please, never beat yourself up - I know exactly how you feel. But, your girl had an amazing 15 years, so don't let this final bit overshadow that.

Talus had shown such improvement that we were thinking the treatment was working, but suddenly it was too much for him. I regret also not taking the decision sooner but then I remember how much fun he had in his 11 years and his funny little ways (addiction to Horlicks and Ovaltine) and try to think that we did all we could, and he knew how much he was loved.

I'm really sorry for your loss. 💔

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please please stay with her. Even if she does not acknowledge you (as it were) she will still know you are there. Hold her if you can.

I rang the vet but they couldn't see him or come out till late afternoon. I bathed him, dried him and held him on my lap for hours wrapped in a warm towel, just cuddling him and gently stroking his poor little body. I firmly believe that, even though he was dying, he absolutely knew he was held, and safe and loved.

My heart breaks for you and your poor girl at this time 😢💔💔
Without a doubt! I did this with my Buddy (who died of CKD in Oct 2019) and his eyes said it all. I KNOW he loved me and he KNEW that I loved him. It still kills me to think about the last minutes I spent with him, but I am so glad I did this.

So incredibly difficult to go though this with your baby. Besides my dad dying in 2011, it was one of the hardest things I've had to deal with in my entire life.

We spend many years with these beloved animals, they are family. I'm starting to cry just thinking about it.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise

I am very sorry for your loss Dan. :sniffle:

I know what it's like... it's a god awful feeling. After my Buddy was gone I would look at his favorite sleeping spots, his fav toys, even his food bowl and just ball my eyes out... for many months.

Take comfort in knowing you did the right thing. Time heals. She will remain alive in your thoughts and in your heart.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Words can never describe how it feels for you now, Dan. I won't even try. I believe in God and believe she is in the good hands of the Almighty now and forever at peace and rest. Please know you loved her and she knew it and she loved you back. I know this is hard to hear but you WILL see her again in the afterlife at Rainbow Bridge, where she now runs pain-free and awaits you're joining her. I truly KNOW that is what happens. If not for this belief, I'd not be on earth myself.

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s sad, but I am also strangely relieved. She was not herself the last month and the last 24 hrs was horrible in watching her struggle. Something I never want to do again and I emplore others not to wait so long.

We buried her in our yard and I spent some time with her tonight. I keep expecting her to be in her favorite spot, or be begging for food.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
dan7800 dan7800 the team at TCS are so very sorry for your loss. :rbheart:
We lock threads when a cat has passed, out of respect.
You may like to start a thread in her honour in our
Crossing the Bridge forum.

RIP lovely girl
..:greenpaw: :purplebutterfly: :rbheart: :purplebutterfly: :bluepaw:..

Status
Not open for further replies.