Elderly cat rapid weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It kind of sounds like they're saying cancer without directly saying so. That sucks! I had a rescued stray cat a few years ago that got kidney disease and was doing okay with treatments and diet for that, but then suddenly got a lump on his chest. It led to his decline very quickly. He was probably pretty old already when I took him in. I'm sorry it wasn't better news. But I don't understand why you have to wait for the T4 results. My girl had one and blood work done last Friday and the results for both were back within the hour and a half or so I waited during the appointment. Her T4 was off the charts high so they're having me bring her back on Monday to do a retest now that she's on meds and I should have the results at the end of the appointment. The rescue stray cat had a T4 done when he first started getting sick and those results were also ready within 30 minutes during that appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On the Vet's advice I have her 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax mixed with some weight food. Doesn't seem to have had much impact yet.

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She seems to be going downhill fairly quickly. She's urinated on the floor in the basement where she is staying a few times today, and hasn't seemed to have pooped much in the last 2 days or so.

She's stayed in her "safe" spot under the coffee table pretty much all evening. Even a few nights ago we'd need to drag her inside when it was getting dark.

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She comes out to eat, and still likes to go outside on the deck for a few hours each day, but is pretty reclusive all other times (staying in the tub, or hiding in a back corner of the coffee table). She used to be a pretty social cat (sitting on the couch with people, always begging for food etc...). She definitely likes quite, cooler dark places now and spends 21 hours a day there.

Knowing that she is 16 with a tumor, is it too early to start considering putting her down and having the conversation with my vet? She has times when she seems to be ok, but she definitely isn't herself. I love her very much, but obviously don't want to see her suffer.

Thanks all
-Dan

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got all of the tests back from the vet today.
  1. She has a VERY hyperactive thyroid. We're going to start her on medication tomorrow.
  2. We knew that she had a tumor in her belly, but I guess the white blood count is very high, indicating an infection (likely the tumor).
Based on her age, it seems like that the only course of action is to see if we can get her hyperthyroid under control and maybe start her on pregnizone. I asked the vet how much time she has left, and he said that he'd be surprised if she makes it until Christmas. I guess that there are more extreme, possible actions but due to her age the vet didn't seem to think that it was worth putting the cat through all of that to MAYBE buy her a bit more time, which I agree with.
She lives with my parents, and I need to leave for college in about 2 weeks (and I won't be able to come back home), so I am spending time with my cat until then.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry it wasn't better news for your girl. For the thyoid meds, my vet had my girl come back for a recheck 10 days after starting the thyroid medicine. They doubled the dose and want to recheck again in 2-4 weeks. It can take a while to find the right dosage. So I was wondering if your vet will also want to recheck in a couple weeks? And since you will be leaving for colllege soon, will your parents be able to take over the same care as you are giving her?

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry it wasn't better news for your girl. For the thyoid meds, my vet had my girl come back for a recheck 10 days after starting the thyroid medicine. They doubled the dose and want to recheck again in 2-4 weeks. It can take a while to find the right dosage. So I was wondering if your vet will also want to recheck in a couple weeks? And since you will be leaving for colllege soon, will your parents be able to take over the same care as you are giving her?
My parents will be able to provide the same care that I am. The vet is going to start her on the dose and then we have to check in with them in I think 2 weeks.

Other than making her comfortable now and spending time with her, our biggest concern is not waiting too long and we are keeping an eye out for any suffering.

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So after a week of thyroid medicine, she is doing about the same. She is reclusive most of the day (where she was a very social cat in the past), but she doesn't appear to be in any pain, eats VERY well, and still enjoy sitting on the deck at night and catching and eating crickets that get too close.

When she is in downstairs, she won't use the litterbox. She's used the liter box in the exact same place for years, but now pees on the floor in several places. When she is upstairs she goes in the upstairs litterbox (that we just added here a few weeks ago) just fine. She sometimes even comes upstairs to use the new litterbox.
  1. The litter is brand new
  2. Getting into the letterbox isn't an issue
Any thoughts?

We don't let her upstairs at nights anymore since we are worried about her peeing on the carpets up here (she doesn't seem to mind the basement at all).

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Immediate thought: go out and pick a second, new litterbox identical to the new one you've installed upstairs. Duplicate that new 2nd floor box in every respect you can think of, including the litter type. Consider a new, but not too far away location for it on the main floor (or basement, if that's been its historic location).

There is something about the old box that you may never understand, but something that's meaningful (in a bad way) to her.

Doable ?

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Immediate thought: go out and pick a second, new litterbox identical to the new one you've installed upstairs. Duplicate that new 2nd floor box in every respect you can think of, including the litter type. Consider a new, but not too far away location for it on the main floor (or basement, if that's been its historic location).

There is something about the old box that you may never understand, but something that's meaningful (in a bad way) to her.

Doable ?
Both litterboxes are essentially the same in size, shape and color. Both use the same litter. The cat walks past the letterbox to pee, so it's not a distance thing at all.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both litterboxes are essentially the same in size, shape and color.
But, one box is old, and one is new and she's using the new one. Obtaining a new one to replace that old one that she currently isn't using is certainly worth a try. Also, there's a litter called Cat Attract that could be helpful.

Also, puppy pee pads over the areas she's peed on may help, after you use an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle, Fizzion, OdorKlenz or SCOE10x - there are some other brands mentioned in this thread :)
Enzyme cleaner

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is now peeing on the floor only. Weaker than 2 weeks ago. Started prednisone yesterday. Getting to be time.

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has stopped eating and is very secluded. Walking is tough. Keeping her as comfortable as I can until Monday when the vet opens.
Truthfully, I am hoping she passes before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.