Ehrlichiacanis

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My daughter's dog has not been feeling well and exhibited some symptoms of IBS. The vet did a blood panel which included TBD and her dog tested positive for Ehrlichiacanis. Does anyone have any specific experience or firsthand knowledge about this tick borne disease? I am currently reading voraciously about it. I have been on a dog breed forum/site for a long time and also reached out to one of the adroit members there.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I cannot be of help, but I know this could probably require a blood transfusion. :(

Is the doggie fine now or better at least?
I have 3 dogs and it is always heartbreaking when one of them gets sick or hurt.

My prayers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply. :thanks: One of the experts on the dog forum I belong to got back to me with a long list of helpful information and links. Tick Borne Disease(s) are becoming much more prevalent and can cause a lot of serious health problems in dogs. He is on Doxycycline for one month which is the normal protocol and then will be rechecked. Hopefully the disease is in the beginning stage. :crossfingers:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have personal experience with Ehrlichiosis in dogs, but we did have an older (roughly 10-year-old) stray cat at the shelter in 2016 that was diagnosed with it; it's extremely rare in cats and primarily caused by E. risticii,
though antibodies to E. canis have been found in a few cats.

The cat made a full recovery after being on Doxycycline for three weeks, IIRC. We didn't see much improvement the first 10-12 days.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:for your daughter's dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The cat made a full recovery after being on Doxycycline for three weeks, IIRC. We didn't see much improvement the first 10-12 days.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:for your daughter's dog.
Thanks, that's good to know since her dog is also on Doxycycline. And thank you for the well wishes for my daughter's dog. :touched: