Egyptian mau??

Jordanb1-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I need help finding out what breed my cat is. I’ve been reading up on Egyptian Mua’s and she is very similar in physique and characteristics but the only thing that doesn’t add up is the white on her chest and paws. So what do you guys think, Egyptian Mua? Crossbreed? Or just tabby?

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Black mackerel tabby with white, domestic shorthair :) The vast majority of cats have no significant breed ancestry, Egyptian Maus are an extremely rare breed, and they're spotted tabby, which is a dominant modifier of the tabby pattern. Additionally, they have a fairly unique combination of features with a very specific ear set and shape (see photo from Karmau cattery below), as well as a moderately foreign body type, which I don't see in your cat. Their characteristic eye set and brow line give them a perpetually worried look.

1642505423246.png

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tabby is a coloration, not a breed. Any cat that doesn't have pedigree papers is considered a DSH (domestic short hair), or DLH (domestic long hair). I agree with grey and black mackerel tabby with white DSH. ALL cats carry the tabby gene, (striped) and you will even see 'ghost' or faint markings in a seemingly solid colored cat in the sunlight. They also have the famous 'M' in between their eyes on their foreheads. Your little girl is a beautiful tabby, very pretty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jordanb1-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Black mackerel tabby with white, domestic shorthair :) The vast majority of cats have no significant breed ancestry, Egyptian Maus are an extremely rare breed, and they're spotted tabby, which is a dominant modifier of the tabby pattern. Additionally, they have a fairly unique combination of features with a very specific ear set and shape (see photo from Karmau cattery below), as well as a moderately foreign body type, which I don't see in your cat. Their characteristic eye set and brow line give them a perpetually worried look.

View attachment 408039
Thanks! That was very helpful

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jordanb1-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tabby is a coloration, not a breed. Any cat that doesn't have pedigree papers is considered a DSH (domestic short hair), or DLH (domestic long hair). I agree with grey and black mackerel tabby with white DSH. ALL cats carry the tabby gene, (striped) and you will even see 'ghost' or faint markings in a seemingly solid colored cat in the sunlight. They also have the famous 'M' in between their eyes on their foreheads. Your little girl is a beautiful tabby, very pretty!
Thank you! Good to know

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think she looks Egyptian Mau either. She looks like a beautiful dsh brown mackerel tux tabby and white. And some spots or broken mackerel. Her face does have that look a bit, but her eyes are rounder like the others posted. I did a collage to compare. 😻

3309241F-5FAB-40F9-9A26-7363CA487242.png