Egyptian Mau (with blue eyes) mix, Ocicat? or what?

mycatbento

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took in a rescued ferral kitten when we lived in Japan.  I thought at first he might be a siamese mix; however, as he grew up it was clear that was not the case.  He is a rather beautiful cat...most that see him think him to be very striking... I looked and looked and think he looks the most like a Egyptian Mau, with the exception of his eye color.  He has a bobbed tail, but that was due to something attacking him while he was a feral cat.   Not that it really matters, but I would love to know what "Bento" the cat is

?

He also has pretty big paws and long back legs...and a loose pouch of skin in the back...I think that is a Mau trait as well.  His markings, including the M scarab is also characteristic...but those blue eyes...beautiful as they are, seem to disqualify him... 

Can anybody help?? 

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

We took in a rescued ferral kitten when we lived in Japan.  I thought at first he might be a siamese mix; however, as he grew up it was clear that was not the case.  He is a rather beautiful cat...most that see him think him to be very striking... I looked and looked and think he looks the most like a Egyptian Mau, with the exception of his eye color.  He has a bobbed tail, but that was due to something attacking him while he was a feral cat.   Not that it really matters, but I would love to know what "Bento" the cat is? 

He also has pretty big paws and long back legs...and a loose pouch of skin in the back...I think that is a Mau trait as well.  His markings, including the M scarab is also characteristic...but those blue eyes...beautiful as they are, seem to disqualify him... 

Can anybody help?? 
A pretty beauty.  Although some more good pics are always welcome!

Breeds are really not what looks there is, but the ancestry.  Its like with nobility.

So, he cant hardly be an Egyptian Mau,  whom are rare,  even if we would decide he is a look alike of one...

The most probable is he is a lucky but accidental combination of the genes occuring in the cat population of Japan...

But what look alike,  yes, its an intriguing question - so please send in more pics!

Good luck!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, beautiful kitty.

May I ask what part of Japan you rescued him from? The bobbed tail is quite common in some areas of Japan and I've seen lynx points with blue eyes born into feral colonies.

The Egyptian Mau is very rare over here, you could have been extremely lucky and picked up a Japanese bob-tail that has also inherited the point/blue eyed gene.

He's an absolute treasure, whatever he is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatbento

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We lived on Camp Zama a US Military installation SW of Tokyo.  After adopting him, we brought him back to the US with us...we live in Huntsville Alabama now.  

Here are few more pictures of "Bento"  --the name, because he is a "male" had to be start with a B (family) and we wanted a Japanese name...so we picked Bento...it seemed to fit, and most in the US wouldn't necessarily know that we named him "lunchbox"... :)    He is an inside cat now, because of the area we live in...so he doesn't become a "lunch" for the coyote and fox population in our area...   The first one has some photo edits making a bit soft looking..

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is Camp Zama in Kanagawa ken? The feral cats in that area of Japan mainly carry the bob-tail gene, so even if he had injured his tail when you first found him he could have a naturally short tail anyway. One way to check is to gently feel the bones in his tail. Any slight twist or kinks or any sudden decrease in size from one vertebra to the next is a sign that he has that gene. The blue eyes are a lot less common, and he does have lovely deep blue eyes rather than the pale blue I'm used to seeing.

Maybe someone's pedigree cat got out and added a little something to the feral population in that area? He was a very lucky find, wherever he gets his looks from.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, I spent a lot of time on Camp Zama as a kid! (Navy brat; we lived on Atsugi NAF but Zama's PX was way better than ours :tongue2:)

Yeah, the street cats in that area had a high percentage of bobtails, and you know how military families tend to be about pets :/. So I'd believe that he could be part street cat and part purebred. Our own cats were half Siamese (that someone had brought from the States) and half bobtailed street cat. Neither of them had full bobtails, but one of them had a sort-of-3/4-bob.

He's so pretty! Are his eyes enhanced in any of the photos or do they always look like that?

catdallas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! I found what breed our cats are, they are lynx point siamese!