egyptian mau vs abyssinian

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
anyone that has experience with both breedds? i am trying to find out how do they differ aside from coat color and body shape?

temperment wise?

also both are the oldest breeds that come from egypt ? so would they have very similair genetic make up ?

next to the bengals and chausies they have to be the most beautiful cats ever!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all they really are in no way related; other then coming from the same region. Abys tend to be more active (IMO) then the Maus. I have Ocicats which do have an Aby background and to me take more after the Aby side in their activity and social behavior and are darn smart too.

Maus tend to be more quiet (in voice) but both breeds are pretty smart and active.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I breed and exhibit Egyptian Maus in CFA. I think that there are far more similarities between Maus and Abys than differences. . . both are moderatly sized active breeds that cite their origins to ancient Egypt. Even their standards read in a similar way for the head and body types. But no, they are not genetically related and trace their ancestry back to completely different cats.

Every cat is an individual, but as a group Maus tend to be highly devoted to their people. They are play-motivated and keep track of all of their toys. They love toys almost as much as they love food, so their intelligence is directed towards 'hunting' for both. All toys and food are secured in my home! Not just cat food, mind you. . . my current show kitten loves chips, pretzles, tortilla chips, and just about any other salty-crunchy snack.

As for how vocal they are. . . some lines tend to talk quite a bit and can carry their own end in a conversation. Others only talk when they have something important to say (I missed you! Hungry! Bored!)

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would definitely put my Maus on the active end of the scale, but I have heard that Abys can be even more active than Maus. Toys are of very great importance to my cats, and none are safe unless I hide them very well. A feather on a stick or on a line, or even a laser pointer are 'heard' when I pick them up and I have expectant kitty faces looking at me from all sides. None of my domestic cats have been that focused on toys as fun prey.

My Maus, as Ferris says, are very people specific and my parents and sister each have one or two from my cattery and they report that the cats pick their favourite people in the household.

I think that they are highly intelligent, well balanced and gentle cats, but I am biased...
I keep my kittens together long enough that they teach each other to play nice, and I am rarely scratched.