Eggs

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats have had eggs as a treat in the past, but we have hens laying like crazy and are getting overrun with eggs. I'd love to use some of them up and give the cats something healthy, but how much can I give them and how often? Should I feed them raw, cooked, scrambled, etc.? My dogs get eggs often but I'm not sure about the cats. Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Raw egg yolk is fine. Do not give raw egg white because it contains a protein that affects the cat's body to absorb vitamin B7.

Hard boil whole egg is fine to give.

Scrambled and fully cooked (no raw egg white remaining) without any oil, salt, pepper, etc is also fine.

I think poaching in plain water would also be ok if you make sure all of the egg white is fully cooked. I don't think cats care too much if you overcook an egg.

Egg yolk can have a sort of laxative effect and can help with hairballs. Start with one egg a week and see how your cats do on it. You can dry cooked egg yolk and store it in the freezer to use in the future. There's instructions here: Make Homemade Dried Egg Yolk Powder

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you both!!! Do you think if I boiled up 2-3 and fed them once a week, maybe twice if they tolerate them well, split between all 7 cats it wouldn't be too much? In the past they usually get leftover boiled eggs that no one else wants.... :lol:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw egg white is fine to give as long as you’re feeding the whole egg. The yolk has an excess of b vitamins. I’d offer no more than a quarter of raw chicken egg a day. Otherwise you’re more likely to see a laxative effect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Raw egg white is fine to give as long as you’re feeding the whole egg. The yolk has an excess of b vitamins. I’d offer no more than a quarter of raw chicken egg a day. Otherwise you’re more likely to see a laxative effect.
I think I might boil up 2 or 3 and give everyone a sample a few times a week. They've had them before but it would sure be nice to move some eggs and help bulk out their meals. Plus, they're apparently so good for them.