Egg Yolk And Allergies?

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read an article similar to this one about the same subject, https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/feline-allergies-can-be-reduced-through-animals-diet/[URL="https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/feline-allergies-can-be-reduced-through-animals-diet/"]Purina develops diet to reduce allergies to cats - Veterinary Practice News [/URL]long story short, egg yolk neutralizes the protein that causes cat allergies. I use Darwins raw and have mild cat allergies and would like to add egg yolk to it as it has no egg in it. How much can I reasonably add, and is powdered egg yolk an acceptable substitute or could I sprinkle it on top? Sorry if any of these are bad questions but I am very intrigued by the prospect of this helping my allergies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Not bad questions at all! I'm unfortunately not an expert with this but hopefully someone who is will see your post and reply soon :)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m first learning this here. I got over my cat allergy the hard way. A persistent kitten.

Egg yolk (and egg yolk powder since we’re often dealing in small amounts) can be used for hairball control. It can also be a laxative. Start slow like 1/8 tsp (or smaller with the smidgen, pinch, dash spoons) once a day until you know what it’s going to do to the the poops. As the cat can tolerate it, you can eventually work up to 1/4 tsp twice a day. I would try to find the least effective dose: the smallest amount you can give that still has a positive effect for you.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now, that's really interesting! My cats eat homemade food that has a lot of egg yolk in it, as well as getting half a yolk each for a treat about once a week. Even my severely allergic friend doesn't react badly at our house (she'll even stay over). I thought it was my superior housekeeping skills - NOT!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! I also thought it was really interesting and a pretty painless fix if it causes no stomach upset, since egg is supposed to be good for them to my knowledge. I look forward to trying this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My allergies aren't a huge problem in my life but it would be nice if they were better. I think I might just try 1/8 a teaspoon for awhile to see if it does anything, I had read that egg was good for cats though but not in huge quantities.