Egg-sactly Right

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the beautiful egg! How shall I eat thee? Let me count the ways. Scrambled, sunny side up, over easy, over hard, blind, crisp, poached, shirred, hard-boiled, soft boiled, the choices seem endless.

I like mine sunny side up with the whites just set and the yolks creamy-runny. Second is creamy scrambled.

How do you like yours? Does it matter what color the shell is? What do you like with them? In them?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Eggs are my go to breakfast. Typically scrambled just slightly wet as an easy and quick breakfast. But hard boiled, deviled, poached, sunnyside up, toad in a hole (or eggs in a basket), easy over, and pretty much any other way works too.

Sometimes I cook them in just butter, other times add salt and pepper, add a spice mix, add spices when cooking or sprinkle on top, premix with a dash of milk, scramble in the pan, there are just so many ways to tweak a simple scrambled egg that changes the flavor. Not to mention throwing them in a tortilla, on top of toast, mixing in onion or peppers, dicing some jalapenos, cheese mixed in or topping, or adding some salsa to the mix. The possibilities are endless.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely like them poached or basted. Some restaurants apparently do not have anything to boil water in (which makes me question the freshness of their food) so they have to make eggs basted instead of poached.

Like Bob Evans serves mashed potatoes, gravy, grits, but they don't own any pots... guess they come pre-made? Or are they made in such large quantities that they use something bigger than a pot?

But anyway, I like them cooked in water.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should eat more eggs :/. When I do, they're usually hard-boiled because that's the easiest. If I go out to eat I get them over hard. . .no runny yolks for me, eww. Scrambled is good as long as they aren't runny but also not cooked to rubber. Omelets are good too.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I like hard-boiled eggs with the salt shaker in hand. It is the only food that I need to have salt handy.

I also like over easy, but I need toast with it, to soak up the yolk. It is the only "meat" I like under-cooked, my steaks must be well done and slightly charred, and smoked salmon will never cross my lips. I won't even try lutefisk.

I'm okay with scrambled, it's quick and easy. Shredded cheese on top makes it so much better. I used to put a bit of garlic in the eggs but ever since I became a food snob and quit buying dried minced garlic I stopped putting it in. Chopping up a clove takes too much time when I want quick and easy eggs.

I have had poached eggs that were in a poacher instead of being dropped directly into the water, also good with toast.

And omelets. Cheese, bacon or sausage, onions, tomatoes. But I order those at restaurants. I tend to brown the bottom and still have a tad of liquidy egg on top. Runny yolks, okay. Uncooked white, ick, can't eat it, which also applies to when yolk and white are mixed together.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
over easy with pepper sprinkled and burnt toast to soak the yolks and bacon. yum.

I make omelets-cook on low with a cover and steam cook the tops=the bottoms come out brown but we like it like that-then no undercooked yucky whites. I put whatever I can find in omelets. Im not picky.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love eggs. Hard boiled or deviled is the best. I used to make this awesome egg custard. Even made pumpkin egg custard once. Was delicious.
However, my gall bladder has decided .."no more". Whenever I attempt to eat one, I have an attack.
So, I guess, I'm eggless now.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I eat eggs occasionally and like frittatas with veggies in them.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sunny side up, over easy, poached soft, soft boiled or softly scrambled. I hate hard boiled or anything containing hard boiled especially egg salad or deviled eggs. :headshake:

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
However, my gall bladder has decided .."no more". Whenever I attempt to eat one, I have an attack.
Dump the gall bladder.

My mom put off removal as long as possible because my great-grandmother told everyone that the reason cheese gave her constipation but milk gave her diarrhea was from having her gall bladder removed. (I don't think anyone talked about lactose intolerance in the 80s.) I remember her on her knees bending over a chair crying from pain many, many nights. Finally her doctor talked her into it and no food ever gave her pain again...and she didn't develop lactose intolerance either.

A friend's mother wanted her gall bladder removed but she was fat and the doctors said her weight made anesthesia too dangerous. (She was 200 lb range, not My 600 Pound Life range.) They ended up taking her in by ambulance and doing emergency surgery to remove it as it started poisoning her and she had black streaks suddenly showing through the skin.

So yeah, when the gall bladder starts doing more harm than good, ditch it. No sense in keeping something malfunctioning that can actually kill you if you hang onto it too long.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, how i love eggs!!! :cloud9: i don't eat them every day, but i could. i don't have high cholesterol, thank goodness. i generally don't care for the runny yolk as much as the hard cooked yolk.

i like eggs any way they can be cooked. ahhh, there's one way i don't 'do' eggs -- raw. some ways that i think haven't been mentioned yet are: breakfast burrito (yum!), quiche, fried and topped with salsa (and sometimes cheese too).

i like both white and brown (shell) eggs. i do feel especially happy when i've gotten a double yolked egg...:cloud9:

my favorite to have with my eggs is toast, with margarine and some of my homemade jam/jelly on it. but i also really like to have pancakes with margarine and (real) maple syrup, then fry up a couple eggs, put them on the same plate with the leftover maple syrup, and......i've found a bit of heaven on earth!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dump the gall bladder.

My mom put off removal as long as possible because my great-grandmother told everyone that the reason cheese gave her constipation but milk gave her diarrhea was from having her gall bladder removed. (I don't think anyone talked about lactose intolerance in the 80s.) I remember her on her knees bending over a chair crying from pain many, many nights. Finally her doctor talked her into it and no food ever gave her pain again...and she didn't develop lactose intolerance either.

A friend's mother wanted her gall bladder removed but she was fat and the doctors said her weight made anesthesia too dangerous. (She was 200 lb range, not My 600 Pound Life range.) They ended up taking her in by ambulance and doing emergency surgery to remove it as it started poisoning her and she had black streaks suddenly showing through the skin.

So yeah, when the gall bladder starts doing more harm than good, ditch it. No sense in keeping
something malfunctioning that can actually kill you if you hang onto it too long.
I would but..
Everyone I've talked to that has had it out wishes they hadn't. They've had more problem than when they had it.
And, since it's only one stone (a large one), the surgeon doesn't want to do it. He says until there is a problem or there is more than one, there is no reason.
Don't ask me to find another doctor, this is a small town (and they are all idiots)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love eggs. Hard boiled or deviled is the best. I used to make this awesome egg custard. Even made pumpkin egg custard once. Was delicious.
Dump the gall bladder.
:yeah: OK, I'm one to tell you that I had my gall bladder out and haven't had a bit of trouble since. No diarrhea, no pain, nothing. Several years ago, I lost about 80 pounds (200 pounds down to 119....and looked like a walking skeleton, but that's another story). And lost my gall bladder in the process. I used to tell Rick, "You know, I don't feel bad. But I don't feel good." But when the pain got so bad that I really thought I was having a heart attack, it was time. One-day surgery. In and out. And I eat pretty much whatever I want; I am a fan of spicy foods, too. No problems. I hope your doctor eventually reconsiders.....life is too short to have to worry about what you eat all the time.

So....eggs. Omelets and frittatas are my favorite. I make frittatas in the our air fryer. Sometimes on a wintry, snowy morning, I'll make windowpanes (a.k.a. eggs-in-the-nests and a host of other fond names). A slice of buttered bread with a hole in the center, fried with an egg in the hole. Wonderful with a huge mug of homemade hot chocolate and a sticky bun for dessert. Mom made them for us when we were kids, too. I made them for our son and he makes them for his kids, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I would but..
Everyone I've talked to that has had it out wishes they hadn't. They've had more problem than when they had it.
And, since it's only one stone (a large one), the surgeon doesn't want to do it. He says until there is a problem or there is more than one, there is no reason.
Don't ask me to find another doctor, this is a small town (and they are all idiots)
I'm glad I got mine out. It was infected and huge. I was terribly ill. However, my surgeon was still able to remove it laparoscopically even though I'm obese. There were three little holes about 3/8" long, one in my belly button. No stitches, just dabs of glue. Quick healing. I eat whatever I want. Today's surgery is much better than when we were filleted.

If it's bothering you, get rid of it before it gets infected. Life will be much better.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I would but..
Well I can tell you this. My mother wished she had gotten rid of it 10 years before. Like I said, before removal she was in serious pain. Things like peanut butter would trigger the pain. After the pain she could eat whatever she wanted with no gastrointestinal issues. And I am absolutely certain, due to present knowledge, that my grandmother's problems supposedly caused by gall bladder removal were actually a case of lactose intolerance, since all the triggers were milk based.

Since it is just one stone though, what about ultrasound?