Egg Lecithin for Hairballs

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Swanson's vitamins - very fast shipment - or Amazon.
Thanks is the EL the best thing to try first? He is getting a small amount of Catlax every night. he has thrown up his food twice with a hairball this week. Does he need more catlax to get it to go the other way? Should I try something else? egg yolk lecithin, probiotics, digestive enzymes and Vet's Best hairball remedy?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your questions are good and everyone who has a hairball throwing cat has them.  There is no straigtforward answer here.  It is very individual.

I had NO luck with the petroleum based products.  My cat with the hairball issues, Obi, also threw up the Vet's best.  I have had the best luck with the egg yolk lecithin, a probiotic, and a small amount of metameucil mixed with water and into the food.  Obi is also, however, on pred but the past many weeks it is unusual for me to see a hairball, and he has had times w when they were a daily occurrence.  I dont know that I can advise you on this; I do feel that EYL is kind of a no brainer, it will not hurt your cat at all; nor will a probiotic (I get mine at Tabby and Jacks and I think it works well).  That said:  go purchased a "Furminator"  hair brush and brush your cat daily. 

lougars

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just ordered the Swanson product, my cat has a large hairball in his stomach and trying to reduce the size so he might pass it either end. Should i be using any other product?

Thank you

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've just increased Mazy to half a capsule every 2 days. (Dose, skip two days, dose, skip two days etc) Queen Eva is getting the other half one of those doses, and Jennie gets the other half next time, so each of them are getting it every four days.

I am giving it alone, on an empty stomach, so it can go right to any hair balls forming. They love it and lick the powder right up. I feed a meal 15 minutes later.

A reminder to anyone new to the product, once you open the bottle, keep it in the refrigerator.
Mine does not say Keep Refrigerated...but I have done so in the past...I can call Swanson.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did quite a bit of research, and for some reason, all I saw recommended for cats (usually by raw feeders, but some Persian breeders use it too), was Nature's Plus. All with good results..... Since I too am having good results, I am keeping my kitties with them.
For now, since Bugsy was hacking for a bit, I am giving him 1 capsule a day - the hacking has completely stopped.

Lucky and Hope get 1/2 capsule a day now.
Hacking might not be a hairball...My cat "heaves" hairballs.