Egg Lecithin for Hairballs

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed it, but knew what you meant. By the way, did you ever see my update in the discussion we were having about the Vet's-Best and the difficulty you were having with crushing it?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I noticed it, but knew what you meant. By the way, did you ever see my update in the discussion we were having about the Vet's-Best and the difficulty you were having with crushing it?
Gosh,that was a long time ago, but you posted a video on that, didn't you?  I saw that, if that's what you mean.  Didn't I respond?  I tell you, I'm losing it
.  I find that some of those quarter sized tablets are really easy to crumble, and others are like bricks.  I don't get it, but just go with the flow.  Sometimes my kids get really BIG pieces, sometimes they get powder   They don't seem to care one way or the other.   Whatever I give them of the Vet's Best gets gobbled up
.  I'm so glad, too, because I'd much rather use that than Fortiflora (although I still keep a box of that around too, just in case
)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had updated to tell you that when I opened a new jar, I encountered the same problem as you, the tablets were not easily crushable. And now, like you, there are a few in the jar that turn to dust easily, and the rest do not. I wrote to the company and they asked for samples and sent me a a postage paid envelope to send the samples, and coupon for a free bottle. Unfortunately so far I have not been able to find it in a retail store so have not been able to use the coupon (I buy it online, usually)

Sally I too keep forti flora around, sometimes it is the only thing that will convince Queen Eva to eat. I don't use it often, but left to self regulate she loses weight, so sometimes I have to resort to it, when Vet's-Best or freeze dried chicken breast doesn't work. Funny, someone in another forum was giving me some grief about that just yesterday. :lol3:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never posted this link to this thread. :anon: This is a ferret blog, but they also have hairball issues, and the information as re: egg yolks and egg yolk lecithin is all the same for why they'd work for hairballs in cats: http://www.ferretharmony.net/2013/04/27/hairballs-eat-an-egg/

And just a repeat of the link earlier in the thread, with the information about lecithin and acetylcholine (choline) supporting the theory as to why egg yolks and egg yolk lecithin help with hairballs: http://www.livestrong.com/article/304964-does-lecithin-help-you-lose-weight/

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad I saw this thread today as I am going to try to pick up some pills for Frank today. Frank is a nightmare to feed and is a gravy licker and never finishes his wet food. He is easy to pill though, so I am just thinking to give him a capsule a day. It seems that a few people give a whole capsule with good results. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the first time ever (after 3.5 years) Ritz is having problems with hairballs.

I started her early this week on 1/2 capsule of EYL; she loves the flavor.

Last night I came home to a hairball.

This morning, increased the dose to 1 capsule per day.

How long does it take before the EYL takes effect/help?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh sorry Cindy, I didn't see the question. I found it would take 2 or 3 days of increasing the dose to find the right one that works. Is it helping? :cross:

But I thought it was important to share this information, from this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/227971/vomiting-hairball-butter-or-vaseline

I have found food grade diatomaceous earth to be an excellent solution. Diatomaceous earth (DE) consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae.

It seems to "cut up" the hairball making it pass far easier. It also acts as a natural mineral supplement, detoxifier, and natural intestinal dewormer. It will add sheen to your cat's coat, even. My cat, a long hair domestic, had severe hairballs when I started giving her DE. She passed several stools that consisted mainly of hair 3 days after starting it. Her digestive issues went away after a few days, too. To get her to eat it, I mix in 2 teaspoons into 1 tablespoon of plain organic yogurt. She LOVES it.

Dosage:

For kittens, 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon daily. For adult cats, 1 teaspoon to 2 teaspoons daily. Start with the smaller dosage and increase as needed.

I stress "food grade" DE. There are food grade and non-food grade versions. Make sure you get FOOD GRADE or you might end up putting too many toxins / poisons in your kitty.

This is where I get mine from: http://www.earthworkshealth.com

(NOTE: I am totally unaffiliated with Earthworkshealth.com in any way except being a customer.)

wilsalvatore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, ..I have a long haired cat who suffers from hairballs...you said, egg yolks will work too, raw or cooked mixed in with the food? until i am able to get the capsules...thanks for any info in advance

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I have read this whole thread.  I bought the Swanson's brand.  It is not clear to me how much to give my cats.  Obi is the hairball-challenged cat; Mittens is not.  Should I give each cat a half capsule once a day? twice  a day?  is once a day too often??

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Start with 1/2 a capsule once a day. Work up to as much as a full capsule twice a day. Right now three of mine need a full capsule 2x a day, but normally they get 1/2 a capsule 2x a day. The others get 1/2 a capsule 2x a day, and normally get 1/2 a capsule once a day.

The lecithin only emulsifies the fat that binds the hair, so you may find you need other "hairball support," especially during shedding season.

Last year, one yolk a week and the egg yolk lecithin easily handled the hairball issues. This year, it isn't cutting it. I've had to add Vet's Best Hairball Relief to the mix for several of the cats.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started with Vet's Best Hairball RElief, and Obi  vomited.  I did not know how to interpret it.  It was not hairballs that he vomited; the remedy was in the food, and the food came back up.  So  I am afraid to try it again.  Did anyone else have this experience with Vet's Best??  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has he vomited recently? How long after eating did he throw up? Of course, it's still hard to tell. But one of the signs of a hairball is regurgitation - though it's MUCH easier to tell when it happens HOURS after a meal and the food is still undigested. That means there is a hairball lodged at the duodenum, preventing digestion and passage of the food.

There are ingredients in the Vet's Best that may bother some cats - chicken liver and brewer's yeast. Some cats don't do well with digestive enzymes. Spooky vomits those, and the Vet's Best Hairball relief does have some in it.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He vomited somewhat shortly after he ate the food with the Vet's Best in it, the pieces were not digested.  Since then, he has tossed a hairball once; and one of the cats, not sure which one, vomited something, but it was all dried by the time I noticed (sorry to be gross) and upon close examination, it was NOT hair.  Although Obi has regularly vomited hair all his life, he rarely vomits food.  That is probably a good thing, although the hairballs are not.  Still, he appears very healthy, and over the last week, he is his old cheerful self.

I am mixing up 1/2 tsp metameucil with water, and a capsule of the egg yolk lecithin, twice a day.  So each cat gets a half a capsule twice a day.  And the metameucil.  Their stool quality has improved.  I understand that if they get diarrhea, I should cut back on the egg yolk lecithin.  My vet is on board with this.  

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UPdate:  I hope to not jinx anything by posting this.  Since the metameucil and the egg yolk lecithin, NO HAIRBALLS.  And, I can tell t hat he feels  his old self.  For a couple of weeks, he was quiet, not like he was feeling poorly, but just not  his Obi self.  Now he is his old self.  I am using 1/2 capsule of the egg yolk lecithin, and I can tell everyone here, I feel a LOT better with this than petroleum jelly products.  It seems vets dont have any issues with recommending petroleum jelly - ugh! I just started the EYL a few days ago so I will post again.  I also want to recommend metameucil - Obi's stools are softer, so that tells me something too.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am confused about EYL.  I  have Swanson, and have been giving both cats 1/2 capsule twice a day.  They have no adverse reactions, and Obi, who is the hairball vomiter, seems his old self this AM.  At my vet's instructions, I have also been giving both cats metameucil- and I think both have done well.

However, t his morning I found a hairball and I feel bad about it.  I have been giving EYL about a week.  Am I  hoping for too much too soon?  He is also on prenisolone (2.5), metaclopramide and a quarter pepcid twice a day.  His mood is great, he loves his Nature's Variety rabbit, and does not appear ill in any way.  And a lot of his dander is gone.  I just worry about those hairballs...and its  hard to tell what is working, the food,meds, EYL or the metameucil.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, for my worst hairball offenders, I have to use a full capsule during shedding season. And even that isn't stopping it. Last year, an egg yolk a week and the full capsule of EYL was enough to stop the hairballs. This year, it isn't. The EYL *should* help emulsify the fat that binds the hair - but if they ingest too much hair that they don't pass, it alone won't stop them. :( The egg yolk improves motility, which helps them pass the hair through their system. But again, if they ingest too much hair, that won't stop them either. So this year I had to add fiber (the Vet's Best Hairball Relief formula. You're using metamucil). And we STILL have some hairball issues.

I'm seeing this everywhere and with SO many cats - many that never had hairball issues before. This, for whatever reason, seems to be a really bad year. We were at the vet with Flowerbelle on Friday, and I asked about it. She said they are seeing an unusually large number of GI problems that are most likely hair related.

:dk:

Maybe because of the extreme weather conditions for so much of the winter in so many places across the US and Canada this past winter? No idea.

I found this article by Furminator. Obviously brushing/grooming is an important part of hairball prevention - the avoidance of ingestion of hair in the first place. According to this, under NORMAL circumstances, inside cats ingest up to an OUNCE of fur a day! :eek: So if they're shedding MORE because of the season, the volume of hair their bodies are contending with can be quite a lot, it would seem. http://www.furminator.com/why-do-dogs-cats-and-rabbits-shed.aspx