Effective Cat Deterrents?

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have an outdoor/feral cat harassing my resident cat, and he's started coming all the way up to our front doors (which are perforated metal, so they can see/smell one another). I'm planning on buying some SSScat spray but want to cover the perimeter of the our balcony and porch areas with something unpleasant-smelling.

I've seen lemon furniture polish recommended here before - is Pledge okay to use? I'm not sure what brand to go with.

Also, will using a scent deterrent stress out my own cat? Her food bowl, litter box and sleeping areas are just a few feet from the front doors, so she'd be within 10-20 feet of where I plan on applying the furniture polish. I want to dissuade the outdoor cat from coming on the porch without disturbing my own.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
There have been a couple times I've suggested soaking rags with any brand lemon scented furniture polish, and scattering them around the yard. They may need to be refreshed so the citrus scent remains strong.

Can you also temporarily cover the lower part of your metal doors?

See how your kitty reacts, she may not be effected. If you find that she seems uncomfortable, maybe temporarily try to move her things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom I'm going to try placing unscented deterrents like SSScat first, then blocking off the balcony corners with decorations so he doesn't have space to jump up. If he keeps coming by then I'll pull out the furniture polish. Hopefully he gets the message quickly.