Eemats On My Maine Coon, What's Best Way To Get Rid Of Them

mystymaine12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my Maine Coons, who seems to have possibly allergies. One of my concerns is his mats, he is a biter, and just knows when I have the shedder blade to comb him.

When I go to comb his mats, he gets stressed, always has, but needs them gone under his belly, any ideas would be greatly". Thank you

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Take your time daily to get mats. I use a comb (andis), zoom groom and sticker brush. I do have a mat blade, these take time. I trim nails before grooming. When that agitated tail starts going then it's time to stop.

Belly? Shaving the belly every summer is pretty common. You can get a sanitary cut to keep their butt clean. I have my vet do it. Fyi- it's actually the vet assistants who handle this. Call and check but it's usually not an office visit.

A quick note, the shavers used by the vets are really quiet. The vet assistants can shave a belly in no time. Trust me when I say this is not a diy. Don't buy a shaver and try doing it yourself.

Last edited:

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The best thing I have found is the Philocomb from Japan. It comes in three styles depending upon length/type of hair of the cat. I have the E-1 and the E-2. You might be particularly interested in the E-3 which is especially good for grooming long haired cats. It removes mats and tangles gently.

My cats, who do NOT like to be combed, actually enjoy being combed with the Philocomb. It does not pull or hurt like other combs do. Plus, it is ergonomic and easy on your hands. Check it out at www.classycatdishes.com

By the way, the elevated cat dishes on this site are great too. I have one for each cat, plus a water bowl. It helps them stay at their food bowls longer and drink more water.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some links. I will note if your cat fights grooming breaking mats is a long rough journey. Just shave the belly and start from scratch especially any inner leg mats that are not grown out. If they are at the skin it can be impossible to get anything under the mat to break it up. It's dangerous for their skin too. So shaving is your best option. Never ever use scissors to cut the mat. You can easily cut the skin.

Here's the andis comb. Andis Pet 7-1/2-Inch Steel Comb (65730)
You can use it to slowly break mats or with mat remover below to start breaking them up. The philocomb looks interesting. A rake is good for shedding season.

If the mats have gotten bad I still highly recommend a belly shave and start from scratch. I've broke up mats in arm pits and it's a really sensitive area.

This just massively grabs loose hair. KONG ZoomGroom, Cat Grooming Brush
I used this as another way to break up mats. You need to be able to get it under the mat. Hold their skin so it doesn't get pulled and it cuts the mat. Mat Remover by Hertzko - Suitable for Dogs and Cats - Great Tool for Removing Tangles, Mats, Knotted or Dead Hair
This is the one I have. Four Paws Magic Coat De-Matting Tool - Sensitive Areas - Fine & Medium Hair
Both dematting tools have blades but dull ends. It has dull ends so you get it under the mat and then it cuts as you pull up while holding their skin.

I also recommend the following. It's an amazing clean fish oil. It makes the coat softer so it mats less. The idea is to try to avoid needing to get the mat phase. If your cat is allergic to fish this is fine. It's been distilled so the proteins of fish are removed. It's a good quantity and price. 3 times a week put on food is easy. Iceland Pure Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Sardine Anchovy Oil For Dogs and Cats.Bottle Size 8.75oz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystymaine12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Take your time daily to get mats. I use a comb (andis), zoom groom and sticker brush. I do have a mat blade, these take time. I trim nails before grooming. When that agitated tail starts going then it's time to stop.

Belly? Shaving the belly every summer is pretty common. You can get a sanitary cut to keep their butt clean. I have my vet do it. Fyi- it's actually the vet assistants who handle this. Call and check but it's usually not an office visit.

A quick note, the shavers used by the vets are really quiet. The vet assistants can shave a belly in no time. Trust me when I say this is not a diy. Don't buy a shaver and try doing it yourself.
Oh thank you for the info, I have a shedder blade and regular comb. I would never try to shave his tummy, but he needs it.
Take your time daily to get mats. I use a comb (andis), zoom groom and sticker brush. I do have a mat blam
de, these take time. I trim nails before grooming. When that agitated tail starts going then it's time to stop.

I would never attempt to shave his belly, that can be the vet techs job, but the shedder blade works somewhat, but he is a "Biter" and I have the marks to prove it. He has never liked to be groomed even when showing him, he is retired now, but the tummy is the main concern, when he wanted to be alone he went under the be, thus the tummy mats. Going to take him to vet next month, then have them do his tummy.

Thanks for replying sorry been busy here thus just getting back to you.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The breeder circle I know just shaved all belly's when the weather was warm. Inside of back legs and the pits under the front legs need to be shaved (they can mat bad). Vet techs can really do it fast. It really takes a few people and the expensive more silent shaver that doesn't get hot.

I considered it until I read tips like "if you accidentally shave off a nipple" :( time to leave it to the professionals.